[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why Train Calves?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 8
Many have said here that calves are mostly genetic, and you're unlikely to see much significant progress by training them. That said, people still include them in their routines.

I'm wondering why? Why not use that time and effort to develop muscles that respond more favorably to training?

I currently train calves every week, and while I've seen some progress over the years, my calves are already genetically large. I'm wondering if it might be smarter to use that slot for something else.
>>
>>36841064

Yes, all soccer players have "genetically" muscular calves.

Nah, they are harder to build than most muscles but it can clearly be done. It just may require more effort than most of us are willing to put into such a peripheral body part.
>>
>>36841064

Calf size isn't quite genetic. The length of the calf muscle is. If you've got long calves you'll still have to train them to put on the mass.
>>
File: U calflets jelly.jpg (38 KB, 478x640) Image search: [Google]
U calflets jelly.jpg
38 KB, 478x640
>>36841075
>>36841090

Then why do many people have massive calves (not fat) when they have never trained them.

This guy, from another forum, has never lifted a weight in his life or played a sport, yet his calves are bigger than many bodybuyilders'
>>
>>36841121
Looks like something from Spore
>>
>>36841064
You need to have strong calves if you have strong quads so you're balanced. I think it's a safety thing.
>>
Because it's the only area of your legs people will get a full view of without you wearing homo shorts or being naked. Chicken legs give the impression that you're a curl bro.
>>
>get job as postman
>walk 8-10miles 5 days a week

My calves are fucking massive thanks to this.
Only problem is I've lost inches off my quads.

Cardio does kill gains it seems.
>>
File: 1457524107941s.jpg (3 KB, 125x70) Image search: [Google]
1457524107941s.jpg
3 KB, 125x70
>>36841064
is the red-haired one a human or a doll?
>>
>>36841064
>Many have said here that calves are mostly genetic
mis conception

some people have big calves because they walk different than people who have small calves

heelstriking is the cause for small calves
>>
>>36841776
yes.
>>
>>36841810
yes to what?
>>
>>36841121
Most people with great calves were fat at some point in their life. This means the best way to train calves is high repetition over a long span of time rather than high weight low rep.

Basically put something heavy on your back and walk long distances.
>>
>>36841121
Probably walked on his toes his whole life like the faggot he is.
Wanna get big calves? Low weight high reps. Try to get 20 or more each set till you cry or play sports for a couple of years.
>>
>>36842051
>put something heavy on your back and walk long distances.
Heavy weight off your centre of gravity alters your walking pattern and sets you at risk of acl injuries.
>>
>>36842122
Weighted vest senpai. Either that or get fat for about two years and just walk miles. Walk, not run.
>>
File: janice-with-two-backpacks[1].jpg (62 KB, 366x549) Image search: [Google]
janice-with-two-backpacks[1].jpg
62 KB, 366x549
>>36842122
>one backpack on your back
>one backpack of equal weight on your chest
>profit
>>
File: 1459876146135.jpg (32 KB, 400x500) Image search: [Google]
1459876146135.jpg
32 KB, 400x500
>tfw I was the fat kid up until middle school
>blessed with the calf muscles of the gods because of it
>no social skills because no friends when it counted
Hold me...
>>
>>36842155
no friends and big calves > friends and no calves
>>
>>36842174
I've got friends now. Just feel stunted as an adult learning shit I should have picked up at 12.
>>
>>36842135
>Weighted vest senpai.
I was only talking about a one-sided weight like he mentioned.
>>
File: 1447360918856.gif (4 MB, 298x224) Image search: [Google]
1447360918856.gif
4 MB, 298x224
>>36841064
>Calves
>Genetic

Nah you small calf faggots just don't train them correctly or enough

Genetics!! HAHAHAHA I bet you think fat people are huge because of genetics too!!!! eheoeheoheoidwofhwoi
>>
>>36841765
My dad is a mailman, does exactly what you just said and his calves are still no bigger than mine kek

Black genetics/10. I'm never gonna bother with calf training
>>
>>36842138
why aren't you calling the Backpack on the front, Frontpack. you need one Backpack and one frontpack
>>
>>36843430
cause it's still desgined to go on your back
>>
>>36841121
He probably walks a lot
>>
>>36842122
You're right, hikers are going down left and right with torn ACLs
>>
>>36841778
This desu, I've always walked on the front of my foot so my ankle is slightly elevated. My calves are massive and i'm still DYEL
>>
>>36843504
hikers aren't adding hypertrophy level weights.
>>
>>36841849
Your question, idiot
>>
>>36843660
it's not a yes/no question, you fucking retard
>>
>>36843678
Yes implies both, retard.
>>
I used to weigh 350 pounds, dropped to 170 and now I have massive god-tier calves and legs in general
>>
How much do I have to lift before I can date an IRL anime fairy?
>>
I can't train my calves and I barely use them when running/walking because of a foot problem.

pic related
>>
>>36843873
2/3/4/5
>>
File: DSC_0019.jpg (3 MB, 3840x2160) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0019.jpg
3 MB, 3840x2160
>>36843906
>>
I used to be fat and walk on stairs on my toes, but I never played a sport like football. Yet I always had huge calves (40cm)
>>
>Why train calves?

Calves, along with your neck and forearms, are one of the three body parts that are going to most visibly show you lift in your daily life. You don't HAVE to train calves if you don't care admit looking good, but literally anybody who lifts to look good should be directly training all three of these. Any less is just wasting your gains 95% of the time.
>>
>>36841064
A lot of other people say not to train your core, because it's all about leanness right?

A stronger and more defined core always looks better, same with calves.

Do standing calf raises in the shower or something, if you don't want to work them at the gym. For cardio, you can calf walk on an incline too.

Genetics plays a good role in it too, but just because you've got shit inserts for a muscle, doesn't mean that you shouldn't train it and make it better.

>pic unrelated
>>
>>36843934
I feel your pain senpai

>club feet at birth
>Corrective surgery
>About 30% ROM in ankles
>>
>>36844310
Life is suffering ;_;
>>
>>36841064
>Many have said here that calves are mostly genetic, and you're unlikely to see much significant progress by training them

IS THERE SOME ACTUAL RESEARCH TO BACK THIS UP OR WHAT? CAN WE PUT AN END TO THE BRO SCIENCE ONCE AND FOR ALL?
>>
>>36841064
: im on a ppl routine and for example between 2 exercises hitting the bicep i do ab work, forearm, calves or something like that to give my muscles an "immediate" rest. im a lot fresher for the next exercise then.
>>
>>36844740
By not having shitty, overpriced personal trainers.
>>
>>36842138
Typical Janice.
>>
>>36844740
more like: can somebody on the internet post pictures of their natty calf progress? because it doesn't exist
>>
>>36844740
Just look at a lineup of professional bodybuilders. some have huge calfs/forearms & some don't. Do you think certain pro bodybuilders just have small forearms/calfs because they decided to say "fuck it" & not train them? No, its genetic. You need to train them for them to reach their genetic potential though.
>>
Here OP, I'll give you the secret to massive calves:
>steep incline treadmill
That's it. Treat it like a lift rather than cardio and you'll make gains. Ask anybody who lives in a really hilly area and has to hike uphill all the damn time.

It's pretty much the same for any muscle you use constantly. Calves, forearms, and abs all need to be trained to heavily to failure to force them to grow.
>>
>>36842112
>like the faggot he is.
Lol. I fucking love how butthurt gymcels get when they realise people beat them just by having superior genetics. Fucking classic.
>>
>>36841167

lol
>>
>>36845783
>weird hobbit legs
>superior genetics

wat
>>
>>36841064

you don't develop calves by doing a couple calf raises twice a week. You gotta hike or run a lot.
>>
>>36845852
show us your skinny calves so we can laugh at you
>>
My whole legs are naturally pretty big so I don't feel as bad when I fail when squatting

Maybe its because I put so much focus on them as a newbie also, because I was scared of chicken legs. I haven't really cared too much about them for a couple of years and they're still big.
>>
>>36844304
Bro...my cockatiel of 10+ years just died last night....why would you post this picture
>>
>>36841090
My brother is a fat fuck who spends all his day in front of the computer programming and looks like shit but his calves are huge and aesthetic as fuck, it's just genetics.
>tfw I got the shitty calves
>>
>>36842112
desu this is the only way I see working anyway. When doing Donkey Calf Raises, I already have to put on like 2x the weight I can squat 1RM, and I still manage to do 20+ reps easily. Any more weight, and I'd probably break my back.
Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.