[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is swimming a god tier exercise?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 60
Thread images: 10
File: butterphelp stroke.jpg (860 KB, 2399x1597) Image search: [Google]
butterphelp stroke.jpg
860 KB, 2399x1597
Is swimming a god tier exercise?
>>
>>36823771

one of the best cardio, but most of /fit/ woulld probably drown.

rock climbing or cycling would be just as good
>>
>>36823799
How about muscle building and fat burning? I swim as long as i can after I lift 5 days a week.
>>
>>36823771
Yes
>>
>>36823771
God chose to walk on water and not swim in it.so no, not it's not
>>
fantastic cardio

I could literally swim for 3 hours and not get tired of it
>>
>>36825003
If you can swim for three hours, either you're a navy seal, some form of competitive swimmer (triathlon ect) or a liar.
>>
>>36823821
It's cardio.
>>
File: SpeedoBan+2.jpg (8 KB, 188x178) Image search: [Google]
SpeedoBan+2.jpg
8 KB, 188x178
>>36823771
i like swimming, but even more love having mastered the skill of swimming well.

I swim most nights and have not seen another person who can actually swim for more than 6 months.
It's all FOB chinks doing a pretty poor breast stroke (this is in Silicon Valley).

pic related. my swim attire
>>
File: 232132.jpg (87 KB, 1255x915) Image search: [Google]
232132.jpg
87 KB, 1255x915
>can run for miles, have great cardio and get natural runners high
>literally dying after doing 100m freestyle when swimming, gasping for breath

jesus FUCK

I just don't get how people breathe when they swim.I can't seem to find a natural breathing pattern and I've tried so many methods

I wanna swim so bad for that godlike cardio/tan but I fucking CANT
>>
>>36825512
Yes You Can
>>
>tfw I can't swim properly and can only really do the backstroke

What's the best style swimming for delt and lat development?
>>
First lesson next week. Pretty excited.
>>
>>36823771
Swimming is the GOAT cardio. Had asthma as a kid and it was the only sport I could do well without dieing because of the controlled breathing. Trained every day for years through school, i'm a manlet though, probably could have gone to nationals if I was taller.

>>36825645
Butterfly probably.
>>
>>36825660
Best of luck, anon.

>>36825666
>Butterfly
I'll try to learn this style, thanks m9
>>
File: D0GQ9Jl.jpg (168 KB, 463x463) Image search: [Google]
D0GQ9Jl.jpg
168 KB, 463x463
>>36825512
I'm here for you, anon. A big problem most people have with swimming is that they hold their breath and then try to exhale and inhale in a very short window when turning the head. You need to practice breathing every three strokes. This will keep you even (left/right) and will likely also give you a comfortable amount of time between inhales. While your face is submerged, you NEED to be exhaling in a relaxed fashion. With enough practice and comfort, this exhale, turn, inhale motion becomes natural. It reduces fatigue tons.
>>
>>36825672
If you aren't already a strong swimmer I wouldn't start with butterfly at risk of drowning yourself.
>>
>>36825677
Bi lateral breathing is over rated as fuck. Just look at the pros, hardly any of them breath on three because its unnatural for a lot of people, yet we try and force people as they learn to swim to do it despite it providing no advantage.

If I breathed to my right hand side my 50 time would probably be like 5 seconds slower.
>>
>>36825679
Oh, I see. I'm really ignorant about swimming desu, I'd like to learn how to do it well though. My dad's an elite swimmer and he is pretty aesthetic from doing the front crawl, perhaps I should just learn that I guess.
>>
>>36825512
>3 strokes then inhale
>while doing the 3 strokes slowly exhale
I dont submerge my head like most if the people do, I just move it left right left with every stroke. Its just how I did it since I was a kid.
Problem with this is I swam in a river, and doing this in the ocean is a bit of a problem when there are constant waves slapping your face.
>>
>>36825715
that can fuck up your neck brah
>>
>>36825704
Yeah crawl/freestyle is the easiest to learn and train with. You need to be really fit to do butterfly for any kind of distance past 50.

>>36825715
If you don't put your head down your body is in a weird position in the water, your feet sink and you use 100x more energy to go the same distance.
>>
>>36825715
Unless it's a windy day, just breathe towards the shore and you shouldn't be getting huge mouthful of wave. Bilateral breathing isn't great for ocean swimming.
>>
File: something.png (133 KB, 500x535) Image search: [Google]
something.png
133 KB, 500x535
>>36823771
> went to a swim and tennis camp when I was younger
> I learned how to swim properly/ learned different strokes
> hadn't swam laps in at least 6-7 years
> be in college
> decide to do swimming pt just cause
> figure it'll be easy
> I mean I'm a developed athlete now and can run forever
> fucking sink the first lesson
> still do well, but its 1000x harder than I thought
> nothing could prepare me for how exhausting it was
> completely out of breath after one lap
> fuck this
> dont ever go back to swim pt
> it was optional anyway
> later in the year we have to train up for an athletic competition event
> find out my knee is injured
> fug
> can't run so I have to swim
> start with swimming a half mile, need to take brakes every couple laps or I'll drown
> eventually only doing swimming
> can swim half a mile now continuously (still hard and I'm still slow)
> still the least developed swimmer
> they switch me to the swim team
> they make me the only swimmer
> mfw I have to actually try now

doing kicks while holding onto a kickboard is suffering

I like swimming though, its a full body workout and it gives you a unique type of exhaustion
>>
>>36825677
>>36825700
>>36825715
I like to do 5 strokes then breathing

3 strokes isnt enough time for me to fully breathe out unless I'm "sprinting" and I NEED the oxygen
>>
>>36823771
Yes, though finding a time in my local pool so that I can actually do a workout plan without being held up is a different matter. The general public are so fucking slow at swimming and don't know any basic fucking swimming etiquette either.
>>
File: 1458502754042.png (10 KB, 386x378) Image search: [Google]
1458502754042.png
10 KB, 386x378
>>36825672
Thanks mate.
>>
>>36825704
Ask your dad to teach you senpai
>>
>be 16
>want to get in good shape
>sign up at the local gym/swimming pool combo
>need to get into shape fast
>think using dumbbells in the pool is a good idea
>bring two 5kg dumbbells with me to the pool
>everyone is looking
>start trying to front crawl with these fucking dumbbells
>immediate struggle
>audibly yelling when I come up for air
>I can only imagine what the fuck people are thinking as the pool periodically goes silent after my screams
>eventually drop the dumbbells because I can't cope
>I can't get them from the bottom of the pool, they're too heavy and it's too deep
>leave the pool and never come back

Oh god it still haunts me.
>>
>>36825945
Definitely considering it desu
>>
Who would have thought moving your own weight in a body of water would be exhausting
>>
swimming is nice but its hard to combine with weight lifting, especially because of your shoulders.

>>36825672
>>Butterfly
>I'll try to learn this style, thanks m9

unless you have good mobility it will come with injuries.
>>
>>36825447
swimming 3 hours breaststroke is easy as pie desu senpai

my local pool is too little for comfortable freestyle, and since it's still expensive per session i compensate by taking my sweet time in there, interval between high and medium intensity
>>
>>36823771

YES. I ACHIEVED ABS FOR THE FIRST TIME WHEN I RECENTLY STARTED SWIMMING
>>
>>36826151
This
Swimming 3 to 4 times a week + lifting 3 times a week, it's impossible to recover and feel like it's counter productive
>>
>>36826169
>swimming 3 hours breaststroke is easy as pie desu senpai

how much do you swim in those three hours? unless its something like 7k its absolute shit
>>
>>36825512
Swimming is literally just - do freestyle stroke laps. Keep your body aligned, keep your head down looking at the pool and breath every 3 strokes by putting your head to the side. Kick too. Its crazy good cardio cuz you're working a ton of muscles in your arms, legs, shoulders, back, chest and lats.

Even if you don't wanna do any sort of style stroke simply swimming, staying afloat by using your legs and arms can give you a hella good work out if you don't swim much.
>>
>>36825700
Bilateral is mainly for training, it's rarely used in competition. That's why you rarely see racers breathing on their third breath.
>>
>>36826202
i swim non-stop switching between high and medium speed for interval.
maybe not the optimal way to cardio, but it's fun and has done wonders for my back.

never bothered to calculate distance, cos my pool is retarded and 19m long
>>
>>36826233
>breath every 3 strokes by putting your head to the side

2 strokes is best since 3 limits your oxygen intake, apart from being hard(er) for most people.
Also you dont put your head to the side, you take your breath from under your shoulder/armpit.
Something that annoys me is that on /fit/ everyone claims be to be an expert swimmer but when you go to the pool there is maybe 1 guy at most that has descent technique, the rest just splashes around claiming they know how to properly do breast stroke.
>>
File: 1448298756461.jpg (142 KB, 1280x845) Image search: [Google]
1448298756461.jpg
142 KB, 1280x845
>>36826260
Hey at least swimming like shit still burn tons of calories

Anyway I alternate between 2 and 3 strokes per breath, but I don't see myself swimming 1.5Km breathing on the same side.

3 Strokes per breath is still interesting for 200 or 400m right ?
>>
>>36826259
Unless you provide any kind of measurement you are lier
>>
>>36826151
Can confirm, swimming(well, water polo.) 5 times/week + lifting 4 days/week fucked my shoulder beyond repair
>>
>>36825754
sort of know that feel brah
>Join uni swim club thinking I'll get my cardio out of the way
>Go along
>Instantly put into "advanced" group
>Terrible form
>Terrible stamina

Kept going way too hard and then getting absolutely puffed after a couple lengths. Eventually just stopped going.

>newyearnewme.meme
>Put into intermediate group
>Last weekend
>Coach at comp
>Beginners showing up
>They legit cannot swim
>Some girl asks me if I can help her teach them basics
>Only manage to stutter out something about not being good at swimming
>Proceed to swim with terrible form

I can't believe these people still think I'm good at swimming.
>>
>>36826202
>breaststroke
okay this I can believe
I can breaststroke for days, but as soon as I start freestyle I feel like I'm constantly out of breathe.
>>
>>36825512
>same as you
>recently did 40 minutes on 10km
>can go much faster on shorter distances, 18 min on 5km probably
>recently wanted to try to get into 2 branches of the army
>swimming required
>condition completely shit for swimming, trying to catch my breath

But you know what? I have been practicing about 5 sessions now with the proper form, for the crawl. And I think the reason why we have such shit condition, because our form isnt too great. We are wasting a lot of energy on a less efficient form. Because we as runners are used to not needed a proper, and hard form, running comes almost natural and efficient running requires very little actual training (I am in a hard running club, so I know what I am talking about)

But today, after training a proper form, I managed to increase my stamina by 1.5x times nearly in each session. When you learn the proper arm movement, and keep track of your feet who need to be near the surface, also keep your breathing in proper form, everything flows together and the stamina you get out of that proper form and technique makes it possible to go a long time.

I am not there yet, I think I need 10 more sessions, but I am getting closer. Also try to relax, in my training sessions the teacher told me to relax a bit, to not stress it or push it too hard.
>>
File: 140607_DSC_1512.jpg (248 KB, 1001x661) Image search: [Google]
140607_DSC_1512.jpg
248 KB, 1001x661
>>36823771
I prefer road cycling for cardio. Its just a lot of fun to be out on the road going to new places. Watching birds and shit while im at it. After some training, 100km+ rides are easily achievable so you can go to some nice places you havent been. Its also dynamic with different type of roads and hills/wind and that kind of shit. Not to mention going fast as fuck over twisty roads going all MotoGP.
I couldnt do running/swimming because its just so fucking boring and repetitive.
I guess downsides are that it really only works the legs and you can get hurt pretty badly in crashes.
>>
>>36823771
It's good. Running is more gruesome though.
>>
File: 1456980253935.jpg (10 KB, 480x413) Image search: [Google]
1456980253935.jpg
10 KB, 480x413
>never was fully taught how to swim in school when younger
>tfw you will be victim to the great floods of poseidon as you cannot swim
>>
>>36825512
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MDnP0RAtV7Q
>>
File: Jesus.jpg (18 KB, 297x350) Image search: [Google]
Jesus.jpg
18 KB, 297x350
>>36825000
Yeah except for the fact that it was me, ya cocksucking barbarian
>>
>>36826345
your stamina must be shit
>>
any general advice with turns? its the only thing im still learning and its fucking hell
>>
>>36823799
I'd love to go rock climbing, but you can't really do it on your own, unless you just do bouldering.

So have to just swim.
>>
>>36825462
>laughinggirls.jpg
>>
tfw great speed but literally no endurance
>>
>>36830307
you need to get a lot closer than you think you do
watch people do it underwater (on youtube or something, not irl)
>>
>>36825462
Where do you swim in SV?
>>
>>36825000
>SkyJew
>Real
>>
How to learn to swim as an adult?
Thread replies: 60
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.