[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Desperate Quest for Gains
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 3
File: minor gains.png (1 MB, 994x711) Image search: [Google]
minor gains.png
1 MB, 994x711
My body does not want to add any mass to it whatsoever, can /fit/ provide any advice? I believe that I am ectomorphic, so I have been trying to get around 3k calories a day and I have not been restricting carbs in my diet. I am only around 160 lbs (up from 149 when I started) and am 6'2". Initially I did see progress in my fitness level, but not I cannot seem to add any more weight to any lifts.

My current routine is a three day split while working out five times a week for around one hour. I do 4 sets of each exercise with around 6 reps for hypertrophy days and 3 for neural strength. I alternate hypertrophy and strength every two weeks (i.e. I perform my hypertrophy routine twice then my strength twice)

Back / Arms
>Lat pull down 135 lbs
>Dumbbell Rows 55 lbs
>Pallof Press 27.5 lbs
>Alternating Dumbbell curl 35 lbs
>Seated triceps press 40 lbs
>Wrist Curls 25 lbs

Chest
>Dumbbell bench press 100 lbs
>Incline bench press 80 lbs
>Dumbbell Fly 80 lbs
>Cable cross over 30 lbs
>Dips
>Chin ups

Shoulders / legs
>Squats 110 lbs
>Leg extensions 135 lbs
>Leg curl 75 lbs
>Calf raises 100 lbs
>Dumbbell shoulder press 80 lbs
>Dumbbell lateral raise 40 lbs (20 in each hand)
>Upright rows 60 lbs
>Standing front dumbbell raise 40 lbs (20 in each hand)

I am proud of what (very) little I have achieved, but I want a lot more. My goal is to add more lean muscle to basically everything and of course a well defined chest and 6-pack.

I have read the sticky and done a ton of independent research, but I am no longer getting results.

Any advice? Thanks in advance from a fa/tg/uy
>>
>>36823008

You aren't eating as much as you think you're eating.
>>
>>36823041
that
>>
Eat more. Stop doing all that stupid shit and focus on the 4 main lifts
>>
>>36823041
>>36823054
Ideas on how much is enough? I don't really stop myself from eating and I eat till I'm almost sick

>>36823069
Define "stupid shit" I figured I needed more than just the 4
>>
>>36823113
moar, eat moar.
I too am skelly OP, i'm currently eating 3.5~4k Calories, don't be afraid of gaining fat.
Also, be sure to know how much calories there is in everything you eat, some time ago i got surprised about how little calories carbs have.
Eat more fats
>>
>>36823223
I have started adding more fats like avocados and nuts to my diet, but I did want to try to limit my fat gain. I want bulk, just not fat bulk
>>
Any advice for routine improvement? Any pertinent exercises that should be added or others that should be removed?

I know the standard 3 sets of 10 is not necessarily the best for an ectomorph, so that's why I went with 4x6. I have also heard that a reverse pyramid is also recommended.
>>
>>36823008
You actually don't look that bad, OP. Don't be so hard on yourself. Eat more and work on your lifts.
>>
>>36823113
Count your calories, weigh your food, its not hard.
>>
>>36823290
Add that homo milk into your diet. Start at 500ml a day and add 250ml each week you don't gain. Stop when you get to 4L.
>>
>>36823290
So long as you're lifting enough and getting enough protein, you won't get fat, you'll get muscle.
Besides, it's somewhat rare for straight dietary fat to become body fat. Sugar is what you wanna look out for, for the most part. Unsaturated fats like nuts, avocados, olive oils, etc. are all bretty good, and if you're gonna avoid fats I'd try to avoid saturated fats.
>>
>>36823517
Thanks! I have noticed improvement in my body, but i fear no amount of gains will be enough.

>>36823535
Do you think this is strictly a food issue?

>>36823575
JESUS 4 LITERS?
>>
File: WP_20160414_20_45_56_Pro.jpg (336 KB, 720x1280) Image search: [Google]
WP_20160414_20_45_56_Pro.jpg
336 KB, 720x1280
>>36823008
Just do SS. I'm in the same boat as you, fucked around with a bunch of dumbass splits and miracle diets that didn't do shit. Put effort into tracking your calories, eat 500 above maintenance, and do SS. I'm 6 weeks into SS now and actually starting to finally see very slight gains. Pic related is me at 6'0, 149, started at 138.
>>
>>36823620
Yes nigger.
Your body doesn't violate the laws of thermodynamics; eat more.
>>
>>36823620
Yes. It doesn't hurt to make sure you are getting enough sleep though. But if you were eating enough food you would still be gaining weight, even if your not gaining muscle.
>>
>>36823595
Good point, I'm pretty free of sugar currently and I try to stick to complex carbs and fruit.

I have nearly 0 experience with trying to figure out what ratio of food to workout fits my body, so all of this is new to me
>>
>>36823628
WTF is that on your abdomen.
Eat healthy bub.
>>
>>36823008
Is there any reason that your squats are so low? Your other lifts progressed much more than squats.
>>
>>36823628
SS? forgive my ignorance
>>
>>36823667
Starting strength. Read the sticky again.
>>
Could we get your weight and height? Also, get a calorie tracker on your phone like myplate that tells you enough to gain 2lbs a week.

Also, try to do strong lift 5x5. It has your important lifts and you will actually notice muscle gain with it. I'm up 13lbs in a month and a half from 150 to 163-164 ish.
>6'3"
>no matter how much I gain I'm always a skelly
>>
>>36823628
So you're clinically underweight and giving advice on bulking up? Trappychan turn back on your trip we know its you.
>>
File: IMG_1742.jpg (2 MB, 4000x3000) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1742.jpg
2 MB, 4000x3000
>>36823620
Niggas talk about it, but ain't be about it.
>>
>>36823687
Sorry, didn't see you posted your stats already. OP i look slightly bigger than you and I'm less weight / taller

Also, I'm gonna guess you don't do squat first thing. I was scared to put on that 45lb plate at first so I just kinda plateaued for a bit, but trust me at your weight and height you should be doing
Atleast 150, I believe in my fellow skeleton
>>
>>36823688
>6 weeks
>138 to 160

Pretty sure the cunt is doing a good job of gaining weight
>>
>>36823681
Reading again!

>>36823665
I got really long messed up legs. I tore a lot of cartilage in my knee when i was young so I cant push it too hard.

>>36823725
I do squats first thing on leg day, but I try to stick to my split so that my body can recover. should i just be doing the major lifts every day i go?
>>
>>36823873
I would just recommend 5x5, you'll be doing full body for the major lifts, and then you can decide if you'd like to isolate, for example, core for the rest of your workout.

Even with the previous knee issue, you could go up in squat and as long as you have proper form you should be fine. No "ass to grass" bullshit that really stresses your knees.

Take what I say with a grain of salt because I'm still green myself
>>
5x5 lifts, milk, buckets of ice cream, pound of meat a day, and quit your faggot whining
>>
>>36823998
All advice is appreciated! I will start looking into the 5X5 more. I have read a lot of good things about it, its just so different from the splits that I have been researching.
>>
eat 4000 cals, get at least 200g of protein, cut out all isolation, hit the compounds hard.

this will put muscle on absolutely anybody.
>>
>>36824061
Far from whinging, just trying to achieve my goals. I figured someone on this board has gone through a similar experience, and wanted some advice.
>>
>>36824095
>splits
that trash is designed for people onn steroids, mostly. 5/3/1, texas method, pavel's russian bear routine (awesome), smolov etc, these will pack muscle on, absolutely no question there at all.

do the main compounds, see what grows fast and what grows slow, then add the appropriate isolation from there.
>>
>>36823041
First post best post
Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.