[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Scared to go to gym
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 4
File: image.png (613 KB, 408x589) Image search: [Google]
image.png
613 KB, 408x589
So I recently decided that I'm going to get a gym membership because I'm tired of being a tall skinny fat fuck with bad posture; chicken legs, and no ass. I hate looking at myself in the mirror shirtless and I hate that I let myself get this way. I've never really lifted before. I've done pull ups, push ups, Etc, but never actually lifted weights except bench press a few times several years ago.

And basically I'm scared to go to the gym because I'm such an out of shape fuck I'm nervous about people judging me and I know you're all gonna say "nah you're trying to better yourself blah blah no one cares" fuck that I don't believe that shit and neither do you. If I had the money I would just buy my own workout equipment and lift at my house. Besides going to the gym means baraasong myself in front of sexy /fit/ girls who can lift more than me and know HOW to lift. I don't even know proper form. I'm fed up with being this way but I really can't handle the embarrassment. What do I do?
I asked my brother to take a picture of me from the front and back and I fuckin cringed at the pictures. My back looks so fuckin bad, rounded shoulders, pudgy back, feminine hips, then it tapers down to a flat Hank hill ass and toothpicks for legs.

Yeah I know I sound like a bitch but I'm just being honest. Should I even go to the gym or should I just do calisthenics and stretches first THEN go to the gym in a few months?

Also this isn't me but I looked up skinnyfat on Google and this fuck matches the description.
>>
Jesus christ anon. Grow some balls

Your problem isn't that you're a skinny fat (well, not your main problem)

The main problem is you lack any damn confidence. Every single fucker in every gym started at one point as a whimp, a fat ass, an under developed shit, but they, we, all grew the balls to do it

My first time in the weight room was horrifying. I was 13 at it was at my school. I was recently 5'6 at 190 lbs. My nickname in school was Jiggles (fucking assholes). I lost a shit ton of weight through wrestling but still looked like shit. I was scared shitless, but here's what I learned

People are going to judge you. Either silently in their head, maybe just a thought like "wow look at his pasty ass body". Some may snicker at you, or go back home and tell their room mates about this new guy at the gym who looks like a wad of chewed bubble gum and broken dreams.

Then there's people who really will not give a fuck, who will just continue with their workout and pretend you don't exist

No matter who they are, fuck em. It is 100% up to you, and only you, to decide if you want to get /fit/. It's not up to those people you think are judging you, it's not up to how much a pic of yourself made you cringe, it's just up to you. You don't wanna go to the gym because you're scared? You're not gonna make it

Man up, get in there, and prove any shit head wrong that wants to judge you. Do that and you'll escape the skinny fat zone and grow some balls in the process

I still have a ways to go, so do you and everyone else on this board. Keep confident, and do all you can everyday, every month, every year, and you'll be fine
>>
I go to the gym solo, pull out my earphones, plug them in my earholes. I lift i go home. Nothing more to it. You are. Over. Thinking.
>>
>>36817385
Do you want to stay the same? If yes then dont go to the gym. If no then go to the gym.

People generally don't judge each other in the gym unless your form is incredibly bad or you are using a machine in a very weird way. We all start and end up somewhere so unless you are an idiot then people won't judge you.

Also learn to give less of a fuck about what people say and just focus on satisfying yourself.
>>
>>36817385

Are you Jewish?
>>
File: 1425473440710.jpg (201 KB, 470x595) Image search: [Google]
1425473440710.jpg
201 KB, 470x595
ur gonna get bullied kid
>>
>>36817385
No one gives a shit at all.

It's pretty narcissistic to think that you matter enough to a building full of random people, who's goal is to focus on their work out that they would take the time to stop, point, and laugh at whatever you're doing.

If you put off going to the gym for a few months because you might be embarrassed, it's a fact you ain't gonna make it.

So nut the fuck up, stop being a whiny bitch, and go to the gym.
>>
>>36817385
I think those "no one gives a fuck" phrases aren't always true. I judge everyone at my gym, however most times not in a negative way.

For example:
>fat, muscle shirt, screams 'come on' before every set, uses babyweights, thinks he is the fittest chad
I will think that he is a douchebag and I immediatly hate him

>skinny/fat/beginner, puts on the weight he can do proper form with (even if it's just baby weight), behaves moderate
I will think that he tries and if he keeps at it he will succeed. I like to see fatties in the gym. because they want to better themselves (only those who train hard). And it reminds me of the time when I started lifting. I was weak as fuck with the same insecurities.

Stick with a routine and by no later than 5 times visiting the gym you feel like it's your second home. You know where everthing is, maybe you see familiar faces.

Look for a gym NOW and go TOMORROW. In 1 month you will laugh at your insecurities. I did it too.
>>
>>36817525
Well at least you started young. I'm almost 23 years old. I mean you're right, I should just man up and go to the gym but it's a bitch knowing there's 15 year old kids that could out lift you and have better bodies than you. And..idk man I'm not feeling my best as I type this out.
>>
N O B O D Y
C
A
R
E
S

Nobody's gonna take a second glance at you. Everyone's minding their own business. If you need any help, I'm sure the staff will be glad to assist.
Again, nobody gives a fuck. And if they do, who gives a shit
>>
>>36817525
well said.
>>
If you have the space, go buy a bench, a decent rack and a barbell that supports enough weight. You might also want a pull-up bar and some dumbbells eventually.
Do this to get you started for a couple months.
http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=998224

Watch the videos onoYouTube where mark rippetoe explains the exercises, he's a phenomenal no bullshit teacher.

Realize there is a difference between bodybuilding and powerlifting and most of all...

MUSCLES ARE MADE IN THE KITCHEN. watch your nutrition. Eat enough, 1,8g of protein per kilo.

Get lifesum if you want to count calories, it's by far the best nutrition app I've used.

Elliot Hulse and /fit/ to keep you informed and entertained.
>>
>>36817548
Also to add you don't even look that bad. I started out in pretty much the same place as you (skinny fat). I'm still pretty much you with some more muscle. The point is get over your insecurity OP it's unfounded and pulling you down.
>>
>>36817385

I literally don't notice people in the gym and just assume everyone there is bigger than me no matter what. I imagine all but the strongest in the gym are the same, and those guys are usually really chill.

Nobody cares OP. A gym is not a hangout place for 230lbs lean 6'5 tall jocks who all crowd around the bench press when not even using it telling stories of the girls they fucked.

You'll literally walk in on your first day lifting, see the equipment you want to use, see nobody is using it and just start lifting and wonder how you were such a faggot before.
>>
Don't use machines.
Don't use machines.
Do not use machines.

Do not use machines.
DStarting Strength, Squats and oats.
>>
OP here, thanks a lot guys you're right I guess I'm just over thinking it; I just have this illusion that everyone there's gonna talk shit and I'm gonna spill my spaghetti by not knowing what to do.
>>
>>36817385

I was the same. Had a lot of false starts with going too and wish I really would have started going the first time I got in my head (not years later).

Make a plan, get an idea of what you're doing, and stick with it.

If you're really concerned, then figure out a time where it's not that crowded then go then. I was going anywhere from 11:00pm to 1:00am at first just so I could work on figuring out my starting point and not feel intimidated, but I grew out of that.

Listen to >>36817540

Go and lift.

You'll regret not starting sooner.
>>
>>36817607

I started at 25 you fuck. I wish I started at 23
>>
>>36817385

>sexy /fit/ girls

I've seen about 5 of these in all of my years of lifting srs, and only one was ever doing decent weight. (mired so fucking hard I had to do an extra set of overhead dumbell til my dick went down but that's another story.)
>>
>>36817525
perfect answer
>>
>>36817607
It doesn't matter where you start, as long as you start. Those 15 year old kids? They think the same thing about other people that you think about them

There was, is, and always will be someone stronger. That's the case for everyone on earth besides one person who is litterally the world's strongest man.

Dont let this post be the end of your /fit/ness journey . Let it be the begging
>>
I'm in a similar situation as OP

I've gotten over the fear of being judged, but, can someone point me to some starting routine?
Or how I can build one?
>>
>>36817385

>worrying this much about what others think of you

What are you? 13?
>>
>>36817756

I went with http://newbie-fitness.blogspot.com/2007/01/stripped-5x5.html

I think I got it from the sticky (read it). Not sure if it's "great" but it's worked for me.
>>
>>36817733
>>36817733
You're right man, I'm gonna go to the gym and I'm gonna get fucking /fit/

I'm not even focusing on any other external bullshit like getting laid or partying, etc. fuck the bullshit, I'm trying to make a change and I guess starting is always the hardest
>>
File: 1459695985318.jpg (104 KB, 550x397) Image search: [Google]
1459695985318.jpg
104 KB, 550x397
Do it
>>
Start by just using the treadmill for 10 minutes. As you become comfortable with going to the gym progress to machines / weights with help from staff.

Worry about routine later, start by getting your ass in the gym. One step at a time anon.
>>
>>36817784
Thanks man,

as for diet, you got any ideas?

Like, I don't really eat out much, and i prefer greens over meat really. (not vegan, just i think they taste better)
I only drink water or coffee, ocasional soda like at a party.

I do drink A LOT of beer, like maybe 1 a day, sometimes 2.

I am 130 5'9 (I know, short.)

I am reading sticky, I forgot you /fit/izens are prepared for nooby orientation...
>>
>>36817801

That's the right attitude. When you realise it's about you and nobody else nothing can stop you from quitting.

If you keep going no matter what happens, no matter how many bad days you have you've already made it and getting /fit/ is just inevitible.

Could take years but you know it will happen as long as you keep going.
>>
>>36817917

Stop drinking beer, seriously does it do anything positive for you at all?
Same goes for all other shit like soda.

Seems really fucking hard at first but you have a minor level of addiction to these things, once that goes away you will never crave them ever again.

I used to drink at least 6 cans of pepsi a day and now I can't finish a single can. It is literally sugary brown fizz piss.
>>
>>36817919

*nothing can make you quit

I suck at motivation.
>>
>>36817919
Hey man I just wanna thank you and everyone else in this thread for encouraging me to just fucking do it.

I just got off the phone with a gym in my town, I set up an appointment for tomorrow to get me enrolled and I'm even getting a free week pass to start things off. Thanks again guys, I'm still nervous but fuck it you don't get anywhere staying in your comfort zone.
>>
Read the sticky you fat cunt. Nobody is going to care what you're lifting as long as you don't make an ass out of yourself
>>
>>36817607
I started at 20 at 270lbs at 5'8. My entire gym watched me be the only person to actually show up, make progress and become the most /fit/ person in my gym. I'm sure I looked ridiculous sweating my ass off on the eliptical every day, or pudging around with man tits reading what each machine did before I did it, but I didn't wanna be fat anymore, so that didn't matter. I literally had 2 highschool students like 3 machines over laughing at me. 2 years later, those specific teens are now like 19 and graduated and look like shit because teen gains didn't last, while the fat kid they laughed at looks amazing.

You have to not take yourself so seriously and just get into a zone where you realize, yeah, you're out of shape, but do you want that to be the case 2 years from now? It's gonna suck, people may laugh, they may not, it's gonna come down to how much want it yourself.
>>
>>36817980

Once you start don't ever stop, that's my last bit of advice.

Take the discipline you learn from it and apply it to other aspects of your life.

Even what you did just then, going for something you were anxious about and realising afterwards that it was the right thing to do is a positive change you've made.
>>
>>36817958
I mainly use it to take the edge off,

Like before I do homework, I drink a beer and it helps me relax-

Same reason I drink coffee, it increases my focus.

But those are just the things I've told myself to convince myself that I need it, you know?
Feelsbadman
>>
>>36818042
Really man thank you for everything, I'm feeling really good about this. This was long overdue.
>>
>>36817643
ignore this fat shitter

there are multiple workouts using machines than can often not only be substitutes for freeweights but upgrades, not to mention it's safer to use a machine when first trying to get the hang of an exercise which you can then graduate into freeweights

if you want to get muscular and completely use every advantage you have don't ignore machines, at least go in the order of barbells -> dumbells -> machines if you really don't want to use machines
>>
>>36817980
Apply that comfort zone idea to your workouts too. It is going to be physically tiring when you get in there, but always try to push yourself beyond where you are comfortable. Whether that's for lifting or cardio

If you aren't uncomfortable, at least sometimes, you aren't going to make progress
>>
>>36817385
my body looks almost like yours and I have been lifting for a year srs. I have shitty skinny fat genetics, I think I will get out of dyel mode in 1.5-2 years time
>>
>>36818072

Just cook for yourself. Try and wind down the beer. As you're more active you'll find yourself not wanting that stuff as much. I still drink beer, just not often.

Focus on getting to the gym first and lifting. The other stuff will come as you get more comfortable with it.
>>
>>36818170

This. The feeling of leaving the gym and thinking "You know, that was a good workout, now all I have to do is rest." is better than any of those quick buzzes like coffee.

The people who get truly fit are the ones who are addicted to training, it's something they have to do.
>>
>Joined the uni gym
>Never do sports in my life, so no one trust a 22 YO living in a sedentary country to start lifting

Fuck all, im doing it
>>
>>36817607
i started when i was 26 (last year) - so you better start right now, since it only gets worse year after year, you'll be happy you started
>>
>>36817525
This
>>36817385

People will judge you regardless if you look great or if you look like shit.

I'm 255 lbs at 10% bodyfat, and I can guarantee you that people nitpick my physique like.

"Oh he's got big arms, but his calves are too small."

No matter what people are going to want to bring you down.

Don't give them a reason to, they don't want you to progress. They don't want you to get better than them.
>>
>>36818282
people look at you because you obviously use roids
>>
>>36818294
Obviously that too.
>>
>>36817385
>Should I even go to the gym or should I just do calisthenics and stretches first THEN go to the gym in a few months?

You're looking for excuse. No more excuses. Today is the day Anon, you need to finally do it. Kill yourself
>>
File: upgradelol.jpg (513 KB, 1000x1604) Image search: [Google]
upgradelol.jpg
513 KB, 1000x1604
>>36818266
This is my journey, from august last year to today
> dropped to 70 kg because girl left, didnt feel like eating, or anything for that matter
> I was so disgusted with myself i couldnt look at the mirror, smoked and was an alcoholic, also depressed as fuck
> fast forward today
> 90+ kg 190cm
> dont smoke dont drink, got shit together and made drivers licence, bought a nice car
> dont want suicide, looking forward to life and its challenges
> some grils myron already
> feeling alot more confident, energetic, strong, MALE

It was the hardest and most gratifying experince of my life ever, bulked dirtier than your mom, harnessed the power of my autism to maximise every aspect of gains

Taking responsibility for your life. No regrets. Dont even want the bitch back now. Woulda been cooler and easier if i did it when younger, but never is too late. Start NOW
>>
>>36817385
>I don't believe that shit and neither do you

>be OP
>go to /fit/ for advice but begin by stating you will not believe what /fit/ says
>expects results
go away
>>
>>36817385
Wear a shirt
Don't act like a tool
Use proper form
Don't give up lifting

OR:

Get a home gym
Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.