[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
A week ago I did cardio on a rowing machine, and right after
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2
File: mid-back-pain.jpg (17 KB, 600x465) Image search: [Google]
mid-back-pain.jpg
17 KB, 600x465
A week ago I did cardio on a rowing machine, and right after that I had a sharp pain in my back (pic related). I'm taking some ibuprofen and it relieves me from the pain for a while, but what can I do besides that to prevent it from happening ?
>>
>>36815019
not doing cardio on a rowing machine
>>
>>36815035
Actually I have been working on the rowing machine for a while before this incident and I didn't have any problems at all, so I don't understand why this incident happened to me now
>>
>>36815064
because you were doing cardio on a rowing machine

just run/swim/rope man, no need to crush your back for cardio
>>
>>36815019

>Use Ibuprofen to dull the pain
>While the pain is dulled, do stretches 2-3 times a day

That's really all you can do. You're back's fucked because you're likely using muscles you've never used before in jerky movements, causing them to strain. Fight through it and you'll end up better in the end.
>>
>>36815115
>You're back's fucked
*Your

How embarrassing.
>>
>>36815115
are there any particular stretches that you recommend ?
>>
>>36815138
It depends where the pain is.

I, for example, use a foam roller to extend the muscles back the way, then lie down flat and pull my left knee up to my right shoulder 3 times then the opposite for the left.

Find what works for you, bro. Look at a muscle chart and try to pin point which muscle is causing you grief, then google "[muscle group] stretches" and you'll find something. It's hard to recommend because there's so many muscles and stretches and there's no end-all cure.
>>
Garden variety muscle strain. If foam roller and lacrosse ball isn't already part of your workout routine, use this opp to learn about them. Learn how to mobilize the thoracic spine and back. Critical especially if you spend lots of time hunched over a laptop, you're going to stave off SO many future back issues with 15 min daily mobility work, it's nuts not to do it.

Rowing when done properly shouldn't cause any back issues. You should be using leg drive to come off the blocks, with your heels driving down, much like a squat. Your back shouldn't change angles at all and your arms should only activate once your legs are fully extended. People who don't know rowing will use their back as a lever to pull the handle in, which is where the back and shoulder gets injured. Watch a YouTube video before you row again.

Oh and set the flywheel to 4-5 max. If you're rowing with proper form you won't need to go higher, nor will you be able to.
>>
>>36815183
I misspoke. Back should change angle over the course of the movement but to a far lesser degree then you think.
>>
>>36815183
It's not the first time I've been rowing on a machine, I used to row 2 times a week for about 6 months before this incident and I didn't have any problems. However I stopped going to the gym for a few weeks before this incident. Do you think it was caused by this absence from the gym ?
>>
File: MaleSideFlexSpine.gif (4 KB, 261x204) Image search: [Google]
MaleSideFlexSpine.gif
4 KB, 261x204
>>36815019
You probably lean too far forward/put your lower back in flexion when rowing.
If you look like this on the way back towards the machine, you'll mess yourself up.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.