[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Self punishment as a motivator
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1
File: LAMA-Bootcamp10.jpg (107 KB, 976x1040) Image search: [Google]
LAMA-Bootcamp10.jpg
107 KB, 976x1040
Hello /fit/, I am a lazy bum who tends to play video games and browse the chans rather than study and improve myself, in other-words I continually seek Instant gratification rather than delayed but oh so sweet and lasting gratification.

The best way to counter this is, in my view, to have a system of instant punishment should I fail to do my work and further my personal goals.

Naturally I don't want to actually hurt myself in the long term doing things like hitting myself or worse so I'd like some ideas of ways I could punish myself while also improving my body such as 'do 20 push ups for each time you fail to reach a deadline' or something of that caliber.

tl;dr I want sane ways of punishing myself in order to push myself to be a better person
>>
>>36813810
You really are a cuck aren't you.

Why are whites the biggest cucks.
>>
>>36813810
What makes you think you will have the discipline to punish yourself if you haven't even got the discipline to step away from the computer for an hour to go to the gym?
>>
>>36813826
I go to the gym five days a week, its when I get home and have the chance to waste away the time is where the problem is.
>>
>>36813836
stay out, get a book, go to the park, read, study

habits are your master, make a habit out of something useful to you
>>
>>36813836
Well that's good but what is it you want to do more of instead of gaming at home? There's really nothing more to it than to just do it, eyes on the prize.
>>36813853
Like this anon said, get some habits that are useful to you, you can almost literally start do anything nowadays.
>>
>>36813810
Is this a joke?
Anyway its been proven that positive reinforcement works better than negative reinforcement or punishing yourself.
So everytime you achieve something reward yourself a little rather than punishing for failing to achieve that target.
This will only work if you can stick to it though and don't stop after reading a page or writing 100 words to play games for an hour.
Good luck you retarded fag.
>>
If you're shitting away your whole life on 4chan you're already punishing yourself enough.
>>
>>36813810
Cold showers
>>
>>36813879
>>36813853
Reading more and generally being a /ic/ fag, once I get into college this September I'd prefer to already have a strong work ethic in place.

>>36813885
That's the plan, have both positive and negative reinforcement in place, I don't plan on studying all day everyday with no breaks anon.

>>36813897
Thanks anon, had not considered that.
>>
why is /fit/ of all places against this? isn't starting out with fitness kinda punishing yourself for a goal? i don't really see a problem with trying to use that same idea and apply it to other things for an advanage
>>
>>36813935
>Isn't fitness punishing yourself
I like exercising, if I didn't have to spend time recovering I'd do more of it.
>>
>>36813810

I tried the self punishment method, it doesn't work. You'll get burned out. You need balance.
>>
>>36813925
If you make the harsh aspect of it something you pursue for its own sake - like seeing how much you're able to stand of harsh experiences (cold showers, resisting temptation etc.) - then instead of it being a negative (I have to stop myself visiting 4chan) it's a positive (I'm testing my own limits and building strength). It shifts the focus of your mind away from the addictive thing (4chan, video games) onto the activity of resisting it which makes you a lot more likely to leave 4chan and video-games behind you. Instead of seeing it as "I'm developing will to leave behind my addictions" it becomes "I'm leaving behind my addictions to develop my will".

The difference that makes is when you succeed and the temptation abates, you aren't "done". If you see it as "avoiding 4chan" then once the temptation subsides you relax and that's when I find I'm more susceptible to slipping back into it again. If you're seeing it as "I'm working on testing my limits and expanding them" instead of stopping and relaxing and seeing your work as "done" when the addictive attraction to 4chan or video-games is temporarily gone - instead you still have work to do, and you move onto the next challenge. What else in your life is a limitation, what else can you prove yourself against? Then there isn't a place in your life for 4chan and video-games to slip back into.
>>
>>36814293
>Instead of seeing it as "I'm developing will to leave behind my addictions" it becomes "I'm leaving behind my addictions to develop my will".
to clarify this part: instead of seeing will-power as one of the ways to overcome addictions, you're seeing the addictions as one of the ways to strengthen your will-power.
>>
Viewing exercise as a punishment is a guaranteed way to fail. That's how fatties feel whenever they try to do anything, and 99% fail ever losing weight because when you're that fat and untrained it literally does feel like you're punishing your body
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.