[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey /fit/ I've been doing bjj for maybe 3 months now, and
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 6
File: dan.jpg (46 KB, 560x419) Image search: [Google]
dan.jpg
46 KB, 560x419
Hey /fit/
I've been doing bjj for maybe 3 months now, and I can honestly say I'm completely hooked. I've started mma too which I look, but I LOVE bjj.

My question is one that might be decisive for fit, but I'd like to see what the general consensus is. For strength and functionality, should I only train bodyweight exercise?? Or should I carry on with my SL 5X5?
>>
>>36813638
>>
>>36813638
Even cornelius lifts, m8.

Ask your coach.
>>
>>36813638
SL of course
>>
>>36813707
>>36813710
Thanks guys
>>
>>36813638
SL is useless shit
>>
>>36813638

Get through your novice trainee phase and do something like 5/3/1 as your intermediate program and you'll be set.
>>
>>36813638
>. For strength and functionality, should I only train bodyweight exercise??

Kettlebells are great for grappling sports. There are a lot of workouts/complexes/programs available online.
>>
>>36813638
How often do you go do BJJ?
I've been considering it but I feel like I don't have enough time with work and family.
>>
File: PVZ.jpg (103 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
PVZ.jpg
103 KB, 1920x1080
>>36815788
do it m80, its like the only thing i enjoy. i poly wud have neked myself a long time ago if it wernt for bjj
>>
>>36815882
Are there qt3.14's?
>>
File: 1460298397034.jpg (27 KB, 326x373) Image search: [Google]
1460298397034.jpg
27 KB, 326x373
>>36815882
yeah actually, i wear a cup so i dont get boners while i triangle them
>>
>>36816040
>>36815899
>>
>>36816040

>implying they wouldn't tap out faster with a boner in their face.
>>
File: kalissi.jpg (12 KB, 230x205) Image search: [Google]
kalissi.jpg
12 KB, 230x205
>>36816105
the best pert is when they triangle u and u finger them till they squirt so u can slip ur way oot.
>>
File: 1460244343512.gif (554 KB, 295x221) Image search: [Google]
1460244343512.gif
554 KB, 295x221
>>36815728
>Kettlebells are great for grappling sports.
>>
>>36813638
Kettlebells, battle ropes, body weight, lots and lots and lots of cardio. Basically, you want to develop your balance and your movement. Being able to lift heavy things is great, but a 300 lb Deadlift doesn't help much in a fight. Keep training though. Skill > strength but eventually you'll see someone who's skill matches yours and then it will be about who is a better athlete.

I don't expect you'd have done much competition yet, but cardio is going to be the most important thing for you when you start. That'll be the difference between winning and losing about 70-80% of the time, especially later unto the tournament.

Also, I'd you're serious about bjj, buy pic related. I bought it at white belt and it has been instrumental in my bjj. It's broken into sections for white, blue, purple, brown, and black. It shows techniques and movements that you'll need to know, but it also discusses a lot about the theory behind jiu jitsu. As far as my mental game, this has been the most important part for it.
>>
>>36816296

They are though. Too bad kettlebell training is forever ruined by idiotic Americans.
>>
>>36813992
5/3/1 or Juggernaut, yeah
>>
>>36816432
Pavel Tsatsouline is the only reason anyone in America even uses a kettlebell
>>
>>36816432
please tell me what advantages kettlebells have over regular barbell training for grappling
>>
>>36816296
Alexandar Karelin, arguably the greatest wrestler of all time, did nearly all his weight training with kettlebells. Most modern MMA fighters use kettlebells in their training.
>inb4 roids
A great program works great regardless of PED usage.
>>
>>36816548
They're a great conditioning tool and useful for enforcing squat/hinge movement patterns.
>>
>>36816548

It's a completely different tool. While barbell is better for max strength and hypertrophy goals, it's not perfect if you wish to have good strength-endurance.

Heavy kettlebells are better for that. The movement is different, the center of gravity is different and you work your core and grip a lot more. Also, you need to learn how to relax under tension when doing higher rep work, which is incredibly useful for grappling sports.

Instead of hating, try doing a good double kettlebell program (with heavier bells, at least 2x24kg or bigger, depending on your current strength) for a few weeks and see how much more endurance you have when rolling.
>>
>>36816653
>you work your core and grip a lot more.
[citation needed]

>Also, you need to learn how to relax under tension when doing higher rep work, which is incredibly useful for grappling sports.
what do you mean by this? breathing during the reps?

I'm not hating, and I'd rather not invest a bunch of time in a kettlebell program just as an experiment. If it's evidently better then sure, ill do that.
>>
>>36816339
Thank you, anon. You've inspired me.
>>
>>36816773
>[citation needed]

My own experience.

> I'd rather not invest a bunch of time in a kettlebell program just as an experiment. I

You need like 6 weeks to see if it works for you or not. If you don't have that much time in your life to try something new, tough luck.

I don't sell kettlebells or make money on programs or anything so I don't really care to "convert" you or anything.
Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.