[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So, why Squats every day? Wouldn't it make more sense to
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 1
File: th-thanks Rip.jpg (60 KB, 500x600) Image search: [Google]
th-thanks Rip.jpg
60 KB, 500x600
So, why Squats every day? Wouldn't it make more sense to alternate Squats and Deadlifts like

A
Squats
Bench
Rows

B
OHP
Pull Ups
Deadlifts

Wouldn't want to get that there T-Rex amirite /fit/?
>>
>>36812306

Rip is primarily concerned with getting peoples numbers up as fast as possible. Since squat improvement drives deadlift improvement in beginners but the reverse usually isn't true, squatting more than deadlifting is beneficial.

If you don't mind lower numbers in the short term, the other approach works. Arguably it works better.
>>
how many t-rex have you actually seen? inb4 pictures of cyclists
>>
>>36812306
Yeah check out greyskull LP

its more like

A:
Bench
Squats

B:
OHP
Deadlift

C:
Squats
Bench
>>
>>36812306
Because as a beginner your body can handle it, so squatting every workout will make you stronger. And the point of the program is to get stronger, so that's why.

>Wouldn't want to get that there T-Rex amirite /fit/?
Yeah you don't wanna get too big, be careful so you don't accidentally get huge in 4-6 months.
>>
OP you're a retard
>>
>never did SS
>just did splits for 4 years
>still come out looking like i did SS for 4 years despite only doing bodypart splits

Yeah, it's all fucking genetics on how you end up looking like.

Everytime I post my pic people assume that all i do is SS or full body, when ive never done it in my life, just a typical bro split.
>>
>>36812328
>>36812386
>Yeah you don't wanna get too big, be careful so you don't accidentally get huge in 4-6 months.
/THREAD
FUCK OFF WITH THE TREX MEME ALREADY
>>
>>36812436
Post pic
>>
>>36812489
He was fucking kidding, are you retarded?
>>
>>36812489
>T-Rex meme isn't real

Confirmed for not doing SS
>>
>>36812569
ahahhaa good for a giggle tho
>>
>>36812569
You probably didn't understand my post.
>>36812588
Feel free to fuck right off.
>>
t-rex isn't a meme, it's a real thing for people who blindly follow SS. and yes, people literally wake up one day, look at themselves in the mirror objectively, see they have huge ass thighs and zero upper body and realize they got memed hard. then they post their pics here for our enjoyment.
>>
>>36812306
is SL better than SS? I'm a heavy lifting noob.
>>
>>36812306
Many good reasons have already been posted, but also I feel like I should point out that you're actually supposed to both squat AND deadlift every session when you begin Starting Strength.

As for the t-rex meme, I think it's a myth perpetuated by curlbros who aren't used to seeing well-developed legs, so they think that well-developed legs are over-developed legs, which is of course ridiculous. The legs are huge muscles - they will look huge, and that doesn't mean you're "t-rex mode". It simply means your development is balanced. Your arms aren't fucking supposed to be bigger than your legs.
Another reason people think there's truth to the t-rex thing is that people who do have big legs like to show them off, and take pictures in a angle and perspective that makes them look bigger. Bodybuilding is a sport of illusion and this confuses beginners who have no clue what kind of impact posing can make to your appearance.

Add to that the fact that if you include the standard recommended auxilliary exercises, you're actually doing just as much work (or more) for your upper body (and that's even disregarding the effect deadlifts and PCs can also have on your upper body), so if somebody really did end up with an overdeveloped lower body, it probably would've happened anyway since they are genetically pre-disposed.

Lastly if you DO happen to end up with a huge lower body, why whine about that part of the program that IS working? Instead of trying to cut down on leg work like everybody seems to want to do, why not try to make your upper body catch up rather than try to slow the lower body down? Why go backwards rather than forwards?
>>
>>36812840
SL is just a shit SS
>>
>>36812840
It's far better
>>
>>36812846
what are the standard recommended auxilliary exercises?
>>
>>36812864
Dips and chin-ups mainly.
You can also add a bit of arm isolation work, calf work and ab work. Just don't let it detract any focus from your main lifts.
>>
>>36812852
>>36812857
oh no.... who do I trust
>>
>>36812887
neither because you're on 4chan you fool
>>
>>36812887
Chech out some progress pics, google them. If you wanna look like the guy who does SL then do SL, same for SS.
>>
>>36812871
thanks
>>
>>36812891
you're right. I'll ask /b/

>>36812901
yeah I suppose that makes sense. SS just seemed like a lot of squating
>>
>>36812840
Armchair experts will argue this all day long. Anybody who's actually been lifting for a while will tell you that the difference is neglible. At the end of the day, what's going to matter is your consistency, perseverance, effort in the gym and adherence to diet, as well as individual genetics.

SS has a book though, which is nice if you're just starting out and have a bunch of questions.
>>
>>36812919
It is a lot of squatting. If you, like me, got naturally big legs then squatting three times a week is a lot. People will say "HUR DUR YOU DONT WANNA GET BIG?!". If you wanna pick up girls and just look good then squatting three times a week is too much.
>>
>>36812328
>If you don't mind lower numbers in the short term, the other approach works. Arguably it works better.
Better how?
>>
>>36813057

Longterm success in lifting usually involves a significant amount of work dedicated to base building - GPP, work capacity, dedicated hypertrophy work, technique work etc. SS tends to ignore these because its more or less a preseason football program and in that case you've got a hard deadline by which you need the trainee in a certain shape. Doesn't matter how good he's gonna be in two or three years if he ain't ready to survive football practice in twelve weeks.

Being able to move away from the hyper-focus on PRing on a few movements right the fuck now gives you more room to focus on the other stuff. This is why most beginners PL/OL/SM routines written by coaches don't look that much like SS - unlike Rip, they're assuming they have a lifter for the long haul and are more concerned about setting up for later success than hitting particular numbers in the short term.
>>
>>36812306
I've been doing something like this.

A
OHP
Deadlift
Row
Weighted chins

B
Bench
Squat
Weighted dips
>>
>>36812840
Just from my experience, I started with SL then moved to SS.

When I was starting out, I could do SL just fine. But when the lifts started getting challenging, I couldn't make it the full 5x5 and I was constantly deloading.

Then I started doing 3x5 and started progressing again on all lifts.
>>
>>36812840
What about Greyskull vs SS bros?
>>
Why do we call it T-Rex mode, anyway? Chicken mode would make more sense: Big chest, big ass, big thighs.
>>
>>36813196
smol urms
>>
>>36813184
>1 floor pull per week vs 3 floor polls per week
Do it if you want small erectors.
Side note, I do like the GS progression more.
>>
>>36812306

Basically because your squat helps your deadlifts and also beginners have shit work capacity and can't do a lot of deadlift volume.

I have had a lot of success using a split like:

>Day 1
Squat
Bench
OHP or incline

>Day 2
Deadlift
Bench
Squat

>Day 3
Squat
Bench
Bench variation

>Day 4
Deadlift
Bench
Row
>>
>>36812919
SL is even more squatting you brainless monkey
Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.