[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How important are rest days? > lifted yesterday, bench and
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 3
File: tmp_713-5U0QFRu-2077625019.jpg (2 MB, 2120x3378) Image search: [Google]
tmp_713-5U0QFRu-2077625019.jpg
2 MB, 2120x3378
How important are rest days?

> lifted yesterday, bench and deadlift
Want to lift today too
> overhead press and squat

I don't feel tired, and I want to get big asap. Is there scientific proof that rest days are necessary, or that they improve gains over not resting?
>>
B R E H S
R
E
H
S
>>
just don't work the same thing two days in a row and ur pretty much good
>>
If you dont feel the need to rest, then you are probably not training as hard as you should be. Fatigue and the feeling that you need a day off is a good indicator that the program you are on is working. There's other things in life besides lifting. Go out and enjoy them on your rest days.

Also, hnnnnnnggggg
>>
>>36809022

Gross ass feet
>>
>dont feel tired
Try exerting yourself
>>
>>36809022

You won't lift as much. If you do OHP one day and then bench the next you're still working your arms and lats two days in a row.

Lifting programs are somewhat of a meme, so long as you know whether you're training for strength vs hypertrophy. And so long as you know how to separate the muscle groups and can read your body to know when to take a day off, you're going to make progress.
>>
>>36809022
>How important are rest days?
Essential
>Want to lift today too
As long as you didn't do a full body and you aren't going to hit the same muscle groups; and as long as you have slept well and you're young; and you're taking anti oxidants; why not
At least a couple of total rest days are needed anyway otherwise bye bye gains
>>
>>36809364
Lats? Nigga, what are you talking about. Just try to give major muscle groups (chest, shoulder, legs) 48 hours between workouts, and smaller muscles (bi's, tri's, etc.) at least 1 real rest day a week. And for fuck's sake don't forget to activate your almonds.
>>
>>36809263
they're actually kindof cute and I don't even have a foot fetish
>>
You can lift multiple days in a row. You just don't work the same muscle groups two days in a row. Optimal is more. This is because it takes 24-72 hours for the muscle tears you created by lifting to heal. The muscle tears heal when you rest.
>>
>>36809872

You use your lats during bench press you fucking dyel
>>
>>36809954

And deadlifting as well. To a lesser extent when pressing and squatting, but its still there.

When it comes to big lifts, lats are almost as much of a supporting muscle as your abs a lot of the time.
>>
>>36809080
they're actually kind of cute and I don't even have a food fetish
>>
>>36809080

fuck off, girl feet are one of my favorite things in this world.
>>
>>36809022
Just make sure to eat plenty of good gains food and get good rest
>>
>>36809022
If you go hard and do volume for pumps on major lifts then you should be a little sore next day. You'll want to overload lifts (invoke a biophysical stress response) so that you know you are taring you muscle fibers..at least this is what I have come to learn/realise.

Rest days are important if you need them, but strict rest days I would say are few and far between. You could do abs on rest days or totally stretch out your body, go for light cardio or hikes. Object in motiion tends to stay in motion. I wouldn't be totally sedentary.
>>
>>36809022
Rest days are extremely important. Lifting weights is taxing as hell for your body. It's not about working out more because you don't feel tired, it's about resting because even if you don't feel tired at all, you need to give your body time to recover and heal. You want to be healthy and lift for as long as possible.
>>
File: image.png (7 KB, 449x327) Image search: [Google]
image.png
7 KB, 449x327
>>36809022
When you lift you shift your body from baseline to "alarm" stage. When you rest you're in the resistance phase, super compensating for muscle damage and gaining muscle. If you don't rest when your program calls for you fall in to the exaustion stage.
Ideally you'd go through alarm and resistance phases and raise your baseline a little. By the next workout you'd raise your baseline again etc.
This is all based on general stress adaption theory.
If you're a noobie or following a bad program that doesn't stress you enough or allows you to rest too much so you probably can get away with working out a couple days in a row.
Pick up a copy of practical programming if you'd like to read more.
>>
Rest days aren't necessary, adequate recovery is. To give an extreme example if you just take a normal 4day programme and split it up over 7 days you wont need rest days for example
>>
>>36809022
>Is there scientific proof that rest days are necessary, or that they improve gains over not resting?
for the same muscle groups? yes, you retard. I know how you are feeling, but how the fuck can you even think the evidence points to anything else?
>>
>>36809022
Sunday: accessory work
Monday: compound upper body
Tuesday compound lower body
Wednesday: accessory work
Thursday: compound upper body
Friday: compound lower body
Saturday: rest/core/stretch/cardio

2ez
>>
>>36809022
Liftan is destruction, resting is reconstruction

Now you decide if you wanna get built
>>
File: 1428023432608.jpg (53 KB, 540x545) Image search: [Google]
1428023432608.jpg
53 KB, 540x545
The good old overworking as a beginner meme. Those 40kg deadlifts are so taxing on your CNS you can only do them 1x5 once a week. King of all memes.
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.