[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Bone Thickness Thread. Does it vary much?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 1
File: 272769_236636069682432_3443308_o.jpg (576 KB, 1530x2048) Image search: [Google]
272769_236636069682432_3443308_o.jpg
576 KB, 1530x2048
Ok, so a few weeks ago here there was an argument on weather bones varied much in thickness outside of height differences.

One side was making the argument that bone thickness increases linearly with height, and that two adult men of the same height will have hardly any difference.

The claim was the while density can vary greatly, as resistance exercise and steroids and so forth can greatly strengthen the bone, that thickness is still determined by height.

They were also claiming that the reason some people’s joints, wrists, knees, ankles etc… looked big was due to bodyfat, and not actual joint size.

I asked, about a dozen times, for them to cite any source showing that men of the same height will have the similar bone thickness.

They cited no sources at ALL.

I disagree with them until proven otherwise.

We can clearly observe with our own eyes men who are not fat enough for the fat itself to be pushing their wrist circumference and ankle size, and that they clearly can vary a LOT even for two men of the same height.

Pic related, Louis-Philippe Jean, a Canadian Pro Strongman and former top 10 WSM finalist, 6’2” and 350 pounds, and not fat enough for it to be significantly effecting how his joints look. His wrists look gargantuan.

Is THAT the way any 6’2” man’s joints would look at the same bodyweight and bodyfat%? I think not.

However I do understand there is a chance I am wrong. Please post evidence, some study or otherwise proving me wrong.

“Nuh uh you’re just wrong” – is not very convincing.
>>
of course bone thickness varies

there's 6'2'' guys with bitch wrists and manlets with 9 inch wrists
>>
That one pic is probs not the best indicator, since he has a huge amount of LBM AND is flexing, a big part of what makes the apparent wrist thickness might be tendons and muscle. Particularly on the viewer-left wrist it looks like a tendon that extends all the way to the wrist is sticking out and adding quite a bit of thickness.

I don't know the actual answer to your inquiry, though. I seem to have thicker wrists than some of my peers even when not flexing and at roughly the same bodyfat%, so I'd be inclined to agree with you.
>>
>>36803233

Yep its all over the map just like collar bone width. Yeah sure taller guys tend to have wider collar bones, but you can find manlets with super wide shoulders and lanklets who are narrow as the day is long.
>>
>>36803221
It's because nobody wants to take the time to find research articles for some retard on the internet.

This is seriously high school level anatomy. Google this shit yourself.
>>
>>36803312

Did, and couldn't find anything to back up their claim.

I could find a few sources that said bones do grow in thickness linearly with height, but nothing stating two individuals of the same height will end up with similar bone thickness.
>>
try lifting.
>>
>>36803349
Maybe work on your reading comprehension before you move on to the science anon
>>
OP you won't stop filling out until your bones stop growing which is at 27 years of age.
>>
>>36803505

Only a complete idiot would think making assumptions is good reading comprehension.

How in the fuck does "growing linear with height" mean the same thing as "bones hardly vary outside of height"?

It just means that relative bone thickness stays constant as we get taller. NOT that everyone of a given height has similar bone thickness.

Saying that it does would be an Assumption, due to SHIT reading comprehension.
>>
>>36803221
there are always going to be outliers with anything related to genetics. on average, taller people will have longer limbs and thicker bones than manlets. that does not mean manlets with thick wrists and a barrel chest don't exist.
>>
>>36803254
yep
I'm 6'3 and have very wide shoulders but only 6-7in wrists.
>>
>>36803608

I'm the opposite, 5'8", with 8" wrists, and a big rib cage. I should grow out my beard, braid it and carry around an axe.

I'm no a manlet, just normal height mountain dwarf.
>>
>>36803221
It's not determined by height. It is however, influenced by it. While environment and genetics are at play, wider joints are the result of larger limbs, but using extreme outliers like your OP is retarded. The real problem is that in a population, there isn't really much of a trend line. Saying "average people with 'average sized' joints are average" doesn't mean much, because there is so much variability in the population. It's like the people that wear glasses. Normal vision is 20/20, right? How many people that you know have normal vision?
>>
>>36803221
Joint locks do work the same. The exact same.
>>
Holy shit there's people who believe that everyone of the same height has the exact same frame and bones and everything? Humans are all vastly different from eachother, height is just one tiny part of it, and it has nothing to do with anything else. There's manlets with naturally huge bulky wide frames and lanklets with thin girly small frames
>>
>>36803221
I dont know much about how much it varies from genes, But bones fix and grow kinda like muscles, tiny fractures get filled in and fixed over time making them larger and stronger.
>>
>>36803678
I've got a big bone structure everywhere except my wrists
It's a mixed bag, at least it makes my forearms look more joocy
>>
>>36804055
>falling for the microtears-cause-muscle-growth meme
>>
>>36804117
Well they do cause the release of myoglobin which in turn causes satellite cells to help to grow the muscles. This only happens when you are resting from your workout but without the workout it will not happen to the same degree.
So kill yourself memer.
>>
>>36803221
Yeah it definitely does. From my experience, those with small joints/bone structures (5.5-6" wristlets) can look huge at lighter weights while big boned'd people (8"+ wrists) would look DYEL at the same height/weight.
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.