[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Anyone else prefer hack squats over regular squats?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 3
File: 1940.jpg (86 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
1940.jpg
86 KB, 800x600
Anyone else prefer hack squats over regular squats?
>>
Weak people do.
>>
Is it just the picture or is the angle really that shallow?
I mean at that point you might as well lie on a barbell and roll through the gym.
>>
>>36788539
No because I'm not a fag.
>>
>>36788539
it's bad for you. don't do it.
next.
>>
>>36789656
Why
>>
>>36788539
>Anyone else prefer hack squats over regular squats?
pussies do. the barbell back squat is a demanding lift and people will generally do anything to make it easier
>>
>>36788539
I don't "prefer" them.
I do them when my knees are bothering me. My knees have 40 years of abuse. Football, Pro Wrestling, factory work, and carrying around a spare 100 lbs for most of that.

As I drop the excess weight, I do high bar more and more.

Captcha is a bitch during a cut. Select the noodles.
>>
What's the difference between this and leg press? Home gym master race here so I have no idea about machines.
>>
no, because i know how to squat
>>
>>36789684
>pro wrestling
Tell us some stories oldfag.
>>
As usual when somebody asks a question about a piece of equipment that isn't part of Starting Strength, 10 newbies rush to the thread and say it's total shit without having ever seen the actual thing in real life.

A good hack squat machine makes it possible to isolate the quads in a way that you cannot replicate with free weight squats (unless you're a very, very good front squatter). You can achieve maximum forward knee travel with a completely upright torso, placing all the stress on the quads, like in a sissy squat but with much more weight.
It also requires less in ways of stabilization and back and core strength, ensuring that you terminate the set because the legs are fatigued and not some other body part.
Additionally, it lends itself well to density techniques such as dropsets or rest-pause sets that can become somewhat unsafe to do with free weights if you're a strong dude.

But do I prefer it over regular squats? No. It is a good exercise but it is an assistance exercise. Particularly if you're somebody who's trying to bulk up you will want to place an emphasis on the bigger exercises that involve as much total muscle mass as possible, rather than try to isolate shit.
I guess you could build decent legs exclusively using the hack squat, but if you're really doing it because you can't be bothered doing proper squats, then you're shortchanging yourself.
>>
>>36789662
leave him alone, he said next
>>
I back squat, front squat, and barbell hack squat

I honestly do like BB hack squat a ton more. I don't know why.
>>
>>36789806
Not much to tell. The guys from NWA Michigan opened a school in NW Ohio. I went through training and then did small shows all aroung Ohio and Michigan for 25 dollars a show if they made enough at the gate to pay us.

Highlights:
Met Rhyno who was a former student.
Hung out with Al Snow. Awesome crazy mother fucker.
Our champion for seeral months was Shawn Michaels' Rockers tag team partner Marty Jannetty.
Lots of gymbros.
>Lots of hilarious moments when we would roll into a truck stop buffet and 8 guys on 7k+ bulks would smash the fuck out of the buffet.
The owner was a bouncer at a titty bar, so we'd spend time there getting groped by the girls.
Our on and off champ Rip Malibu would have the better stories. He was trying to get into more hardcore matches with our local maniac, Tommy Starr. His wife would flip her shit every time she saw blood.

Really, it was a fun hobby that actually cost me far more money than I ever made. Jacked my knees up, and made me some great friends.

It meant spending weekends in shit towns sleeping in my car if it was warm, and sharing a hotel room with 4-5 bros if it wasn't.

For the first year or so, until fresh blood comes through the school, you're basically a stagehand. Setting up and tearing down the ring. Being a sparring dummy to help work on moves.
>>
>>36789835
I've used a hack squat machine a few times and have had a hard time with it.
I prefer hack squats with the bar, personally.
And to respond to OP, in my opinion hack squats are an indispensable accessory to back squats or front squats for bodybuilding. I don't think they're as important for strength training, but for mass, they're really great for pumping up the quads.
>>
>>36788597
Which would be one badass workout.
>>
File: 1435833115026.jpg (417 KB, 775x1033) Image search: [Google]
1435833115026.jpg
417 KB, 775x1033
>>36790298
This is almost too american to believe it.
>>
>>36788539
I was doing those after a few regular barbell squats. I was pretty tired, but put on the usual weight I start with. I guess my legs were too tired, so I got stuck on the second rep. I felt the weight crush me down so I panicked and pushed up with all my might. I managed to get the weight up but felt huge pain in my ribs afterwards, and the discomfort lasted about a week or so. Needless to say, I'm not doing them again.
>>
>>36790379
I don't think it's glamorous enough to lie about. It's a part of my life that I would do again. It was fun. It was also at the height of the WWE Attitude era when wrestling actually had some fans. The school owner actually wrestled as "Hard Time" Gene Austin, doing a Stone Cold Schtick. (Somehow he had gotten permission from SC who he claimed was a cousin or something)

You have to realize I was a huge wrestling fan, and Mick Foley's first book had just come out. I devoured that and wanted to live that life.

Tough Enough was on MTV. The school was available thanks to our local wrestling promotion merging with NWA Michigan. It all just lined up.

I have a philosophy in life. Collect experiences, not things. This was one of the experiences I enjoyed the most.
>>
>>36788597
Isn't that an actual thing in crossfit?
>>
Heard these were good for isolating glutes, actually.
>>
File: Hot Wheels.jpg (25 KB, 305x314) Image search: [Google]
Hot Wheels.jpg
25 KB, 305x314
>>36790820
It's part of the hotwheels workout.

Instructional related.
>>
>>36788539
I prefer front squats over back squats.
>>
>>36788576
>>36788604
>>36789656
>>36789683
>>36789765

Butthurt SS fatties detected

When are the SS/ICF faggots going to learn that squats are a meme and a surefire way to snap city?
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.