[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Anyone have any experience with Muay Thai? I am moving to LA
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 5
File: muay-thai.jpg (790 KB, 1680x1050) Image search: [Google]
muay-thai.jpg
790 KB, 1680x1050
Anyone have any experience with Muay Thai? I am moving to LA and there is apparently a great Muay Thai gym close to where I will be. Very interested and it seems like a very raw sport. 5'10 skeleton here if that matters
>>
What is your question?
>>
>>36787710
Just interested in it and want to know if anyone has any first hand experiences I guess...
>>
i am the current champion of thailand

ask me anything related to muay thien
>>
>>36787723
Are you a black belt?
>>
>>36787704
It's great, I love it. Any actual questions?
>>
>>36787728
Kek
>>
>>36787728

Are you?
>>
>>36787717
I do but I can't really offer much without knowing what you want to find out. Expect rough cardio, neck doms and your legs to be fucked for a while.
>>
>>36787729
What do you love about it?
How physically demanding is it?
Will it tone you if you're a skelly?
Meet any hot Thai girls?
>>
>>36787749
Are you?
>>
>>36787766

Are you?
>>
>>36787756
> hot Thai "girls"
>>
File: 1421494950489.jpg (54 KB, 419x368) Image search: [Google]
1421494950489.jpg
54 KB, 419x368
>tfw too much of a pussy and too socially awkward to start a martial art.
>>
>>36787756
>>>36787729 (You)
>What do you love about it?
I did karate for three years, and it was all a waste of time. As soon as I "broke my code of honor" and sparred somebody else, I was instantly wrecked. MT is a tried and true effective martial art. That and the fact that the training is actual training, not ethnic dancing.

>How physically demanding is it?
It's very physically demanding. If you make it so. You can take it easy and learn a lot or you can go balls out and learn a lot. It's all up to you, but regardless you will become a better fighter

>Will it tone you if you're a skelly?
Please refrain from ever using the word tone if you ever want anyone to take you seriously

>Meet any hot Thai girls?
I'm assuming this is a joke. I train at a reputable gym that has much success on the amateur scene and had a couple fighters go pro. They're all either skinny fat (when not training for an upcoming fight) or mega skelly men.
>>
>>36787704
Ask /asp/!
>>
>>36787704
Want to become a turbo skeleton, with an impressive and extremelyy lean physique ? Then go ahead.

Want to become a muscular hollywood action movie? Might want to hit the gym beforehand.

Thai Boxing is lightweight boxing. if you're not heavyweight before you start you'll never be.
>>
>>36788186
I meant action movie figure* lel

Oh well,
>>
Yeah good cardio is strongly advised. When sparring you are not only supposed to go the distance, you also expected to keep the rythm while taking hits in the chest. Hopefuly you'll also hit your sparing partner in the chest which will make him slow down instead of snowballing his advantage because you're out of breath.

However if you're not set about which martial art is made for you, muay thai is probably the worst martial art for a beginner. You stand very close from your opponent and most of the hits are considered bad habits in almost every other martial art. Lets say you do a year of muay thai then decide to try some kick-boxing, get rid of the habit of using your elbows and knees will be hard. It's way easier to transition from sports like Savate into Full-contact into kick-boxing into muay thaï than the other way around.
>>
>>36788244
Other bad habit which is a dead give away that someone has practiced muay thai is that you fuckers keep trying to catch our legs.
Stop doing that reeeee
>>
>>36788127
>>36788244
Wow, very informational, thank you both a bunch. I did Karate and Taekwondo when I was younger and also did really well in a tournament but like the man above said, it is complete ethnic dancing. I'm looking for something raw and that I can really devote myself to. I'm honestly a very negative, self loathing person, and I think Muay Thai will help me turn that around.
>>
Expect shin pain and elbow/shoulder joint discomfort.
>>
File: 46.jpg (583 KB, 1500x791) Image search: [Google]
46.jpg
583 KB, 1500x791
>>36787874
People who do martial arts, over anybody else you will find, understand the weight of words compared to fists.

If you come out of the wood works with your head firmly up your own ass, they will accommodate you. They will keep adjusting you until you can do a technique or two. Martial artists have that herd mentality. They will accept you, they will help you and they will share your goals of self-confidence.
>>
If you have bad leg flexibility, do boxing instead
>>
Been training once a week for almost two years now. You need good hip flexibility for sure. It's a martial art that is very effective at causing other people harm. Even when sparring with pads a slight knee to the torso is uncomfortable. I can only imagine what a full force flying knee would do to some fuck boy who started talking shit.
>>
>>36787874
It'll help with it.
>>
I've trained Silat and muay thai since I was 5 years old man, I'm 20 now and I absolutely love it. I only started fighting at an amateur level when I was 16, been state champion every year since then and came second at nationals once (the only time I actually competed). It's great mateship, fitness, great hobby and it helps with confidence a lot I would say. There's something about knowing how to defend yourself even on a basic level that gives you a sense of strength or bravery almost. Sounds pretty cringey but it's just what it feels like. I've played around with people who are 4th degree black belts in shotokan and kyokushin karate and I touched them up it was embarrassing for them. It is effective, it is enjoyable, it gives you an interest in something worth following. Put your nervousness and social anxiety or awks to the side and go to the gym, try it for a few months and see how you go. It will go by so quickly and by then you won't want to leave. Provided your gym isn't full of musclehead fuckwits. Good luck, OP. Perhaps make a thread in future telling about your experience. I lurk here eternally so I will most likely respond.
>>
>>36788296
>flexibility isn't something that you can work on
Lazy fuck
>>
>>36788296
Or just improve flexibility??????????????????????????????????
>>
>>36787704
Does anyone here have any experience with Brazilian Jiu Jitsu? There is a gym near me that offers that instead of Muay Thai..
>>
>>36788325

can you like shut the fuck up
>>
>>36788390
wow rood
>>
>>36787704
I did muai thai for 5 years from 13-18 years old. It mostly depends on how good your teacher is. Personally our teacher was a relatively old man (mid thirties) with lots of experience, he went to Thailand when he was younger to compete and train there.

Muai Thai is really brutal but you wont ralise it but just looking at it. Lots of techniques are similar to kick-boxing and you will mainly use these in sparring. Elbows/knees are rarely used since you need to be VERY close to your opponent and 80% of the time you will be fighting from 2 distances.

1st distance is 1.5-2 meters of distance from your opponent. You mainly perform jabs/kicks and keep a distance moving arounf the ring trying o find oppenings ect..

2nd distance is when you manage to get close by jabbing or by having your opponent near a corner. This is the distance when you can go for grabs/knees/elbows ect but this distance depends on how aggressive you and your opponent are playing.

Cardio is brutal here. A simple combo of ,lets say, 2 kicks to close distance and 5-8 puches and maybe a knee or grabbing your opponent and wrestling, will tire you really fast, but it doesnt stop there. If you dont want to get hurt you have to tense yourself when you get hit and focus on defending witch doesnt leave you room to breathe/rest and this will fuck you up.

I can write about muai thai for days but all I can say is, that it will tire you a lot but you will learn much and your cardio will be amazing.

Also, remember that low kicks will make your thighs full of bruises, but as time goes by you will get used to pain in some areas and you will be fine.
>>
>>36787704
Muay thai is great. I moved to Thailand for 9 months to live/train/fight. O had 17 fights there and lost 8 won 9. I lost ever fight by decision which was expected since they score hands very low.

Muay thai changed my life.. Gave me extreme confidence.

What to expect? If you have a good teacher I'd expect your legs to hurt. Alot. All the time. Picture your kicks being a baseball bat and your only hold a pad to block it. Shit hurts. Cardio or die. Your abs will become iron.. Youll find it weird and awkward to throw a elbow and it will feel powerless.. Don't throw elbows that hit in sparring it's a great way to cut your partner/make go it go full tempo sparring.

Best advice. Get use to numb arms from punching. When you kick lead foot points to your outside and creates alot of power.
>>
>>36788380

ive been doing bjj for 2 years its fun as shit and theres a good community. i think its the one of the only martial arts that being strong carries over very well and you get to chock cunts. all clubs should give you a 2 week free to try it out so you should check it out
>>
>>36788489
Cool. I'll go check it out tomorrow. Thanks
>>
>>36788380
Do both!! My gym does boxing mma muay thai bjj and judo.. I do everything but judo because it's only at 5am and I work at 6
>>
Op, I took Muay Thai for about 9 years, and even taught it whenever the instructor couldn't be there.

If you are taking it for fun as a hobby, that's fine. If you are taking it for maybe a year to learn how to fight properly because you never learned, that's fine too. If you are taking it with the intent of trying to be better at 'self-defense' and become some kind of martial arts master who can 'kick anyones ass' that steps to you, I strongly recommend you immediately stop, and go buy a gun.

If anyone seriously wants to fuck you up, they will have a weapon, and the greatest martial arts in the known world will die from one bullet to the stomach. If you want to be in muay thai for years and years, you will absolutely get punched in the face, kicked in the face, and injured repeatedly just by being in the class, whereas owning and properly using a gun will not injure you at all, and defend you from anyone.
>>
>>36788577
> living in such a shit hole that self-defense is relevant
>>
I trained Sanda with the Chinese national coach (which is basically Chinese Muay Thai without knees/elbows, but more stand up wrestling). I dunno if I do it wrong, but it's pretty much the same as Karate with more Kumite and no Kata.
>>
>>36788390
Fuck off you sad beta
>>
>>36788715

can you like shut the fuck up austist cuck
>>
>>36788726
I will fucking lick your asshole and then fuck it you piece of trash
>>
>>36788577
If anything the best self-defense any martial art with sparring will teach you is to keep your distance and run if you can
>>
>>36788577
>le autist trying to sound wise
Just try and shoot someone who just wants to punch you.
>>
>>36788127
This. I'm a black belt in kyokushin. First time I got my face combo'd by some runt was a real eye opener.
>>36787704
Actually being skelly is better if you're starting out. it means people will go easier on you, and also that it will be easier to develop killer stamina, which you'll need.
There's nothing sadder than a 90kg guy getting into the the ring and expecting to be hot shit just because he can deadlift twice his bodyweight.
good luck OP
>>
>>36789649
I used to train with a dude who was 120kg~. Stand up was hilarious. I'd do nothing but jab and kick and never get touched.

He got his pay back when interest in newaza time though.
>>
File: 1460656406581.png (756 KB, 927x960) Image search: [Google]
1460656406581.png
756 KB, 927x960
>gym is $30
>MT gym is $110
I'll do it but my wallet will be crying goddamit
>>
File: hqdefault (3).jpg (34 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault (3).jpg
34 KB, 480x360
Watch this whole video, this was the world champion https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sJjhNa3oCx8

He doesn't even have to go for a KO punch. If you could kick like this guy you would take down almost anyone in the street just by breaking their shins.

Unfortunately he's kind of been sandbagging lately and been doing a lot of "show" fights against super weak opponents.
>>
>>36789687
I should disclaim - I once started sparring with a 100+ kg beast expecting an easy time, but he stuck his foot in my face before I even knew it. turned out to be a taekwondo black belt. so, you never know.

round and round the wheels of the bus go.
Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.