[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What are your thoughts on the zero carb diet? Carbs = bad. So
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 4
File: 20150202beforeafter.jpg (585 KB, 1200x1200) Image search: [Google]
20150202beforeafter.jpg
585 KB, 1200x1200
What are your thoughts on the zero carb diet?

Carbs = bad. So it makes sense to me. Anything particularly dangerous?
>>
your pancreas might stop working
>>
why are carbs bad pham
>>
>>36773756
How so?
>>
>>36773764
carbs = sugar. sugar overloads your liver and produces more retarded insulin or some shit.

Obviously I'm new to this shit and don't thoroughly grok it.
>>
>>36773749
Enjoy your No Energy and thus No Gains and No Weight Loss. Don't be stupid. Just limit carbs don't eliminate them.
>>
>>36773784

>don't thoroughly grok it

Run as far away from Paleo and that whole cult as you can before you're completely brainwashed.
>>
Glucose is the ONLY nutrient that the brain can use as a form of energy. Sure your body can convert other sources of nutrients into carbohydrates, but it's not exactly going to be as fast as if you were consume it directly. You will have some level of fatigue in terms of just your brain being tired, but I don't think it would be anything necessarily dangerous unless you plan on starving.
>>
Low/no carb diets work for the same reason any diets works; it's a calorie restriction strategy. Carbs, especially refined grains and sugars are high-calorie low-satiety. If you cut them out you get more full with less calories. Calorie for calorie fat and protein are better than carbs for strength gains, which is a nice side effect.
>>
>>36773784
All sugars are carbs, but not all carbs are sugars. You can't completely cut out a basic thing your body needs, you need a healthy balance of carbs, proteins and fats. Go calculate your macros, m8.
>>
>>36773749

It's sugar, specifically, that's bad - not all carbs per se. The thing is, if you're a fatty, then the point of zero carb is that you're too stupid to know the difference and need to be educated. You start by cutting out all carbs, and then gradually reintroducing other non-sugar carbs back in.
>>
>>36773749
I Keto, about 25-50g of carbs/day, and it's improved my blood work a lot as well as fixing the highs and lows of blood sugar.

If your metabolism is fucked up it will be the hardest thing you ever do but is extremely worth it. Don't be retarded though and drink plenty of water and electrolytes, it's pretty easy to get dehydrated on keto
>>
>>36773892
>Glucose is the ONLY nutrient that the brain can use as a form of energy.
This is simply not true. Just google "neurons ketones". The ketogenic diet is a fad, but that's no reason to spread ignorance.
>>
Y'all are missing the crucial part here. A zero carb diet can be dangerous. The body compensates for zero carb diets by breaking down fat stores in a process called ketogenesis. A byproduct of this are ketones. If you are not removing these ketones from your body fast enough, you can end up in ketoacidosis, which can be life threatening.
TLDR: a low carb diet is fine and seems, in the scientific literature, to promote fat loss. A zero carb diet, on the other hand, is potentially dangerous.
>>
>>36773975

>Don't be retarded though

But keto is retarded.
>>
>>36773975
i believe you here but you are still retarded.
>>
File: The cole train is confused.png (369 KB, 425x474) Image search: [Google]
The cole train is confused.png
369 KB, 425x474
Why is this the case every time?

>"I eat too much sugar and processed carbs. I need to eat a healthier diet"
>>you gonna replace all those pop tarts and candy bars with whole grains, fruits, and beans?
>"Nah, I'm just going to avoid all sources of carbohydrate indiscriminately and eat a bunch of grease instead"
>>
>>36774044
Going low carb doesn't give you a free pass to chug bacon grease.

Most low carb'er I know eat a lot of vegetables as well
>>
>>36773998
People who aren't type-I diabetics don't get ketoacidosis that easy. It's really hard to get adipose tissue to give up energy, so you're not going to all of a sudden get too many ketones.
>>
>>36774061

Unfortunately a lot of people see it that way. Just loads of cheese, butter, bacon, fatty red meats, etc.

Most healthy foods have a lot of carbs so it makes no sense to me to cut out pretty much all carbs from your diet just because other foods that have carbs are unhealthy.
>>
Many primitive peoples (though not nearly as many as the paleo-diet people would have us beleive) ate an all meat diet.

Two Canadian guys ate nothing but meat for a year to see what would happen. Turns out nothing special happens.http://inhumanexperiment.blogspot.com/2009/09/two-brave-men-who-ate-nothing-but-meat.html
>>
>>36773749
You are an idiot, eat your daily carbs but eat less, that is all you need.
>>36773784
>carbs = sugar
hahaah go educate yourself.
>>
>>36774061
still it isnt healthy to skip carbs altogether.
>>
>>36774144

Those primitive people also have terrible life expectancies

>Two Canadian guys ate nothing but meat for a year to see what would happen. Turns out nothing special happens.

They did develop some form of diabetes though

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n6riZUY-r30
>>
>>36774259
Yeah, their sugar metabolism went nutty, the way any bodily function does when you don't use it. But they didn't drop dead from ketoacidosis.
>>
It affects people differently.
I've been full keto for a couple of months (20-40 carbs/day) and it works really well for me. Body fat is way down and my energy levels are a lot more stable.
Once you figure out that you can eat some really amazing food on a keto diet it becomes a lot easier.
It's not dangerous. Anyone saying otherwise is wrong or misinformed.
>>
>>36774310

>they didn't drop dead from ketoacidosis.

They probably weren't even in ketosis for most of the experiment. The inuit diet is known to be anti-ketogenic, being too high in protein to induce ketosis.
>>
>>36774390

What kind of foods do you eat?
>>
>>36773882
High protein diet with few processed carbs = great

Basing your diet entirely on what neanderthals ate = fucking nuts
>>
>>36773749
Retard. Eat healthy carbs. Veggies, whole wheats, cum.
>>
Okay guys, is this an okay diet? Mainly fat and protein from meat, eggs, cheese, occassional carbs from wholemeal bread and veggies and fruit. I feel fine and am losing weight, just wondering if there is anything I am missing, main reason I cut out pasta and rice is I don't really like them.
>>
File: 1345666396035.jpg (13 KB, 430x320) Image search: [Google]
1345666396035.jpg
13 KB, 430x320
>>36774566
Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.