[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Barbell vs Dumbbell bench press
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 2
File: bb-vs-db.jpg (34 KB, 415x238) Image search: [Google]
bb-vs-db.jpg
34 KB, 415x238
Which one are you doing?

Is there really any significant difference? Can i just do bench press with dumbbells all the time?
>>
I do both...
>>
I do both.

Remember to get the Dumbbell all the way to your fucking armpits and all the way up.
>>
>>36766281
both
>>
A better question would be why not both?

Dumbs for stability, barbell for maxing out
>>
both
flat bench with barbell
incline with dumbell
idk why I started doing it this way but I like it
>>
>>36766281
Both
>>
>>36766304
for maximum stretch marks
>>
>>36766281
Im no expert but i do both
Bench for strength and dumbell for gains
Feels like you get a better range of motion with dumbells but idk
>>
>>36766308
I personally find myself maxing out on dumbbells. With dumbbells there's no chance of dropping the weight on your neck and I tend to lift more. Wish I had a gym buddy to spot me, but I don't.
>>
>>36766323
>I have no idea how the human body works.
>>
>>36766339
Just ask someone to spot, unless you're home gym masterrace
>>
>>36766402
I usually go at 6 a.m. and there's no one in the weights room except this one guy that does squats all the time, and the occassional hungry skeleton that quits after a month. Besides, I've never talked to anyone ever in the gym, and even if someone does spot me, I won't know what weight to add. What if I just can't even lift it off the rack? If it's too low and I ask someone to spot me, will they laugh at me? Too many possibilites that I'm not prepared to face and I end up just adding 5lb to my bench every week. Hopefully will get to my goal of 2pl8 in the next 6 months.
>>
>>36766281
For longer rom: (hypertrophy)
Decline < flat < incline
Wide grip < close grip < DB
For strength do the opposite

I do wide grip flat BB bench only.
I think the best is to do wide grip flat BB and incline DB if you think your chest is lacking
Do whatever suits your goals
>>
>>36766484
Ask squatbro... i've never, EVER had someone not spot me when they asked. Add enough weight to where you can get 1 full rep... its not hard. Ask them for help on the lift off if you can't get it off the rack... no shame in it at all.

Nobody will laugh at you.
>>
>>36766281
i actually like the squeeze at the top with the dumbells, and i can do more with the dumbell than a barbell, to bad our dumbells only go to 40 kg....
>>
>>36766339
Do this
Select a rep range (eg. sets of 5) and a weight you can comfortably do 3x5 with
Do 3x5
Next workout, do 3x(F-1). It may still be 3x5, or you may do some sets of 6.
Continue in this fashion until 3x8
Add 5 kg, you should drop back to 3x5.
Repeat.
This way you still achieve progressive overload (a bit slower desu), but with zero danger of killing yourself.
>>36766484
Nah, I actually think maybe killing yourself is better.
>>
>>36766484

don't be ashamed to ask for spotting, nobody laughs at people in fitness even if they are weak, because all of those huge guys started weak as well...

if he does find the low weight on bench funny he's a dick anyways
>>
Currently building base strength after a long layoff from working out, so Barbell is the obvious answer considering each dumbbell can is +2kg, which means I would have to increase my work load by 4kg each workout instead of 2.5kg.

I do think that barbell is better for overall mass, though. I used to prefer the barbell version back in the day when I wasn't a weakling.
>>
>>36766281
I rep 100s on DB on a good day is that good or mediocre?
>>
>>36766484
you dont need a spot to bench, only when maxing out, which should be often.

if you arent a retard, you should be able to FEEL when your body is close to failing. just stop/rerack when you know you're right at that point before failure
>>
>>36766677
>which should be often

sorry, i mean shouldn't*
>>
>>36766281
Dumbbell. Cause I fucked my shoulders recently.
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.