[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Do you think doing 3 sets of chins every workout is a good idea
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 2
File: download.jpg (4 KB, 215x235) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
4 KB, 215x235
Do you think doing 3 sets of chins every workout is a good idea for my underdeveloped back to catch up?
>>
>>36751819
chins work mainly biceps, and only a little back
Deadlift and power cleans would be better for back development
>>
>>36751819
Do pull-ups instead
>>
>>36751840
Chin ups are lat dominant.
>>
>>36751864
I feel my lats a lot more doing chins rather than pull ups
>>
>>36751819

yes!

if you have the energy, get after it.

make sure this in addition to deadlifts and some kind of upper back exercise like face pulls or rear delt fly for a total back work out.

but if you only have energy and time for pull ups, one is better than none!!!!
>>
>>36751900
Okay thank you
>>
>>36751840
That's wrong though
>>
I made some real lat gains by doing something similar. My pull up number was weak as fuck so I started doing sub-maximal sets between lifts every session. So if I could do 5 pull ups I would sneak in 2-3 between sets or every other set of this first movement of the day.

When it came to the day in my routine when it was actually time to do pull ups, I would then aim for a 5xF and go for maxes.

Doing this caught my lats up, just constant work that isn't too tough between other things. When I reached about 15 pull ups I switched to doig weighted reps on the main pull up days and still sneaking in a few sub max sets every other day.
>>
>>36752031
Ok thanks
>>
>>36751884
Strange, it should be the opposite. Try messing around with your form. Wide-grip and do it on the assisted machine so you can focus on feeling the contraction.
If that doesn't work, then stick to what feels right.
>>
>>36752031
i can vouch for this. i could only do 2-4 reps last summer. started working on them every workout in the gym by slipping them in during rest times. also did some assisted pull ups when i got tired.

the progress has been huge and impressive. can say what my max is because i stop around 8-10 every set arbitrarily, but i still slip in these 8 reps everyday i hit the gym (4-5 times a week). i also do weighted now
>>
>>36752031
Make sure you stretch them lats homie. I used to do about 200 pull/chin-up (variations) a day and ended up gettting extrememly tight in that area and didnt even know it until i stretched. If your lats gets real tight, youll be more prone to overextention in your mid/lower back when doing overhead work.
>>
Okay i will try to do chins every workout then
>>
File: image.jpg (125 KB, 640x1136) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
125 KB, 640x1136
I personally feel that there is never a bad time to throw in some pull-ups / chin-ups / push-ups / dips... Really any sort of calesthenic. Unless you're going for a 1rm, why the hell not? Work!
>>
>>36751840
Fucking lol. These are the people giving advice on this board.
>>
>>36751868
i hope this is bait
>>
>>36753064
wanna know how i know you're a fucking dyel with no back development?
>>
Started doing shitloads of pullups to get rid of my pathetic excuse for a back. I was "greasing the groove" doing pullups all the fucking time.

After a week or so of this I am doing a pullup session and i am almost to failure, thinking I can get in one last pullup, I am really straining and then bam my right shoulder hurts like a motherfucker. I must have pulled something or some shit.

It continued to hurt for a long time and I couldn't go back to lifting for like six weeks as a result.
>>
This is utter bullshit. You're basically implying that you are bicep curling most of, let's say 170 lbs?
>>
>>36755168

>>36751840
>>
>>36751819
Doing chinups with frequency methods on rest days might be a good idea for you. I dont much about biomechanics but doing weighted chinups did wonders for me in terms of lats development.
>>
>>36751884
Grip the bar really wide and go all the way down, it's hard but it's good shit.
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.