[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Clean grip vs cross arm grip for front squatting?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 7
File: clean-cross-armed-grip[1].jpg (26 KB, 490x203) Image search: [Google]
clean-cross-armed-grip[1].jpg
26 KB, 490x203
Myself and a lifting buddy were discussing "proper" grip on front squat last night. He was saying that it's more recommended to use the clean grip over cross arm but mentioned that, despite having read that in his research, he couldn't find any supporting reasons as to why it's the preferred version.

I spent this morning doing the same and found the same results. Clean grip was recommended but no real reasoning supporting it other than some loose bro-science.

So, any reason to do one over the other? Does grip impact the lift very significantly or is it just down to what feels better to the individual?
>>
>>36733848
It's more stable and cross arms will always be uneven.
>>
>>36733848
Cross arm will be uneven and also promotes flexion of the thoracic spine a little more than a clean grip would. If you have the Wrist flexibility for clean grip i'd definitely go with that
>>
>>36733915
>If you have the Wrist flexibility for clean grip

If not, you can cheat and use straps
>>
>>36733848
crossed grip is uneven and also prevents high elbow position, resulting in a more unstable rack for the bar
>>
>>36734654
This. I've never felt stable doing a cross grip. I think it's easier just to develop wrist flexibility or use straps
>>
>>36734054
the guy in the photo has a 90 degree wrist which is what almost anyone can do
>>
>>36733848
not everyone is flexible enough to do clean grip so they resort to different one i guess
>>
File: Figure2-24.png (114 KB, 567x387) Image search: [Google]
Figure2-24.png
114 KB, 567x387
>>36733848
A limiting factor for most people in the front squat is upper back strength. If your upper back rounds than you are likely to dump the weight forward. This is less likely to happen with a clean grip since driving your elbows up pulls the lats tight. It is a lot easier to transition into a jerk from the clean grip than the cross arm.
>>
I use cross arm grip.. it does NOT feel uneven.. how is that even possible if you are balancing the bar properly on front delts and close to neck.

All these people claiming its uneven are just sipping the broscience koolaid that its uneven.
Or they got fucked up gyno.
>>
My biceps are too big for clean grip, not bragging, always train mobility a bit too brahs. Cleans are a fantastic overall strength builder. If you have a good clean and jerk, you'll see some of your powerlifting exercises go up in weight
>>
I've tried the clean grip but dont think i'm flexible enough so tried x-crip instead. Worked well but man my shoulders hurt where the weight rested. And I felt choked by the bar every now and then. Feel like just sticking to regular squats - whats the deal with front squats anyways?
>>
>>36733848
Who's that dude on the right?
>>
>>36734896
>balancing bar on front delts
kek

its supposed to be on your collarbone you goof
>>
>>36734865
>It is a lot easier to transition into a jerk from a clean grip than the cross arm.

I just lost my shit at the thought of some guy attempting a jerk from a cross grip
>>
>>36736497
Dave Draper
>>
>>36737460
>>
>>36737460
>>36737479
>bodybuilding will never be like this again
>>
File: BigRamy_178.jpg (91 KB, 612x919) Image search: [Google]
BigRamy_178.jpg
91 KB, 612x919
>>36737492
You mad this is what considered aesthetic (bodybuildingwise) these days
>>
File: me and mio.jpg (74 KB, 763x558) Image search: [Google]
me and mio.jpg
74 KB, 763x558
>>36737510
it's macabre
>>
File: 1456813949060.jpg (5 KB, 250x183) Image search: [Google]
1456813949060.jpg
5 KB, 250x183
>>36737510

>you will never live in the gold days of bodybuilding
>you will never workout at the mecca of bodybuilding with arnold or franco columbu
>>
>>36736537

Hope you are kidding. The bar supposed to be on your adams apple
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.