[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Do you calorie count on a cut?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 111
Thread images: 12
File: portion_sizes.jpg (156 KB, 617x459) Image search: [Google]
portion_sizes.jpg
156 KB, 617x459
Or portion control?
>>
portions
My cut is basically eating lots of protein, less bread and avoid sugar
>>
>>36722979
IIFYM is an eating disorder.
If you're hungry, eat. If you're not, don't. Just don't be a fat fuck.

It's really simple.

P.S This approach only works if you actually work out hard in the gym, not doing a set of curls every 5 minutes.
>>
>>36722979
Pretty good. Made Tuna Burger for breakfast for the first time.

Should have drained the tuna a bit more before adding the egg white.
Nice overall.
>>
File: 1423866594830.jpg (332 KB, 1600x1422) Image search: [Google]
1423866594830.jpg
332 KB, 1600x1422
>>36723025
>not doing a set of curls every 5 minutes.
>>
File: 2016041005353637614.png (96 KB, 1023x1700) Image search: [Google]
2016041005353637614.png
96 KB, 1023x1700
Both, I'm on a cut right now, gotta be ready for summer. I watch the portions and calories although calories are always priority. (Didn't forget saturday, I fasted the whole day)
>>
>>36723090
What the fuck m8 that's way too low
>>
>>36723090
Even if you're a little girl that's way too low.
>>
>>36723113
>>36723127
I know, I'm 5'7 though so my maintenance is not as high as most of you also the less you weight the less your BMR (apx 1351 according to most websites) I just don't wanna gain weight so I keep myself on a constant cut
>>
>>36723172
you literally can't gain weight on 400 calories
>>
>>36723090
never gonna make it
>gotta be ready for summer
your muscles will be atrophied in a few months
READ THE STICKY
>>
>>36723172
Are you male or female?

I'm female, 5'4 115 and can cut well on 1500-1600 calories. I'm pretty sedentary too. So if a short lazy girl can cut on this much, you definitely can. Raise your calories srsly
>>
>>36723090
>>36723172
I'm a 5'7" grill on a cut and even I wouldn't be fucking retarded enough to eat ~500cal or less multiple times a week, much less fast on the weekends. You might just have an eating disorder, familia.
>>
never counted a calorie in my life, started as skelly 2 years ago
>>
>>36723025
fuck off. I had shit parents and grew up on a diet of sugary foods and massive portions so my appetite is out of control. If I don't count my calories I will always overeat, counting calories is what stops me from having an eating disorder.
>>
>>36722979
portion control but I have a general idea of the amount of calories of everything I eat and I mostly stick to certain foods so it's easier to have a general idea of how many calories I'm eating

I found it very effective. haven't had a single cheat day. (about 11-12% bf right now, already lost about 8 kg)
>>
>>36723225
>Having an eating disorder to prevent yourself from having an eating disorder.

Nice logic.
>>
>>36723239
counting calories is not an eating disorder you complete moron
>>
>>36723247
>definition: "any of a range of psychological disorders characterized by abnormal or disturbed eating habit"
>preventing yourself from eating an additional 1 calorie as it doesn't 'fit your macros'
>claiming it's not an eating disorder

Nice meme.
>>
>>36723178
That's why I kinda do it, and its hard as fuck because my family is on dirty perms bulk and everywhere you look at there's going to be cookies, sodas, bread, fried food, more bread, sweet pastries etc.

>>36723183
Making it for me is really just being slim and comfortably wear the clothes I like.

>>36723197
Male sedentary as fuck
At home I'm either sleeping or sitting shitposting on every board possible and at work I'm sitting the whole time in front of my computer too.

>>36723207
I think I do have an eating disorder but a couple of months back I set myfitnesspal to 1200 calories a day, I watched scoobert videos saying that weight fluctuates a lot so I didn't pay much attention to the weight but I was making sure I didn't go above 1200, after about 3 weeks I gained 7kgs so I lowered it to my current 900
>>
>>36723251
I don't like to feed the trolls, but here goes. I don't know anyone who counts calories in the fucked up way you just described. Make sure you're hitting around the right number of calories on average over the course of a week.

Now shut up and stop trying to discourage people from learning to eat properly.
>>
>>36723375
I'm genuinely not trolling.
People who are doing IIFYM are actively achieving specific numbers, irrespective of whether they are hungry or not. You are psychologically forcing yourself to eat/starve in order to hit these numbers.

How is this not an eating disorder? How was the way in which I described it fucked up? People calculate their macros and aim not to go over?
>>
>>36723410
This. If you do anything more than plan your meal based on an estimation of macros you have an eat disorder. No animal in its right might would count energy units so closely. Food = life. If you have to count caloried to lose weight you have an eating problem already. Starving never works as well for natty muscle but IF and long walks do wonders for body fat.
>>
>>36723410
By implying that IIFYM is based on not being off by 1 calorie. Macro counting is a great way for people who have lost appetite control (eg leptin resistance) to teach themselves what the right way to eat is. It's also important for people who habitually eat too little.
>>
>>36723464
You can grasps these concepts by knowing how many calories are in the foods you are eating (in a general sense).
But planning your whole diet to them, as I've illustrated above, is an eating disorder.
>>
>>36723444
Thank you. At least someone here isn't retarded.
>>
>>36723239
>>36723251
Eating disorders are to a large degree part of a social/cultural context just mental disorders.

That doesn't mean that you shouldn't be wary of them, but it's important to recognize that functional eating habits are neither objective nor discrete. Functionality exists on a continuum, and it's important not to let the perfect be the enemy of the good.
>>
I haven't hit the gym in years and I've gone on several fasts. I have yet to lose my gains.

>>36723410

It's only an eating disorder if you think wanting to lose weight is a disorder, in which case eating below maintenance would be a symptom of that disorder.

I don't even know what you're trying to say here. My "normal" eating habit is to eat whatever I want (up to 4000 calories a day depending on the quality of food I have at my house). Is NoFap a wanking disorder?
>>
>>36723410
>>36723444
>claiming that counting calories involves starving yourself
>exaggerating target precision to an extent that literally nobody does except those with actual OCD
>all to frame a useful tool as an eating disorder
>>
>>36723590
Few things here:

>Haven't hit the gym in years
Why are you here?

>It's only an eating disorder if you think wanting to lose weight is a disorder
No. Eating disorder takes a number of forms. For example, people who are 200kgs and still continue to eat 10k calories a day to comfort their psychological issues have eating disorders.

>Eating below maintenance would be a symptom of that disorder
The term 'maintenance' is irrelevant if you're not doing IIFYM. Don't even see why you're mentioning this.

>Normal eating habit is up to 4000 calories a day
So you eat 4000 calories a day, and you haven't gymmed in years. Why the fuck am I even wasting my time talking to a fat sack of shit?

>Is NoFap a wanking disorder?
Not even sure why you're trying to compare the two. IIFYM is an eating disorder. NoFap is a "cure" for the socially retarded.
>>
>>36722979
calories you idiot.

a small bowl of peanut butter is probably 400 calories, it does not matter that it's in a small bowl.
>>
>>36723624
If you're hungry at the end of the day yet you've already eaten your calories, thus, unable to eat anymore as it would be going over your calorie count for the day - yeah, that's starving yourself.

Look at any Fitness youtuber and what they encourage. They all present this image of preciseness and perfection when it comes to their meal preparations. It's what they're aiming to perpetuate through their image as fitness role models.

How stupid are you?
>>
>>36723633
Board is called /fit/ not /lift/
You can be fit without being a muscular ogre
>>
>>36723590
>don't even know what you're trying to say here
I think it's an extension of the "nah I don't life, I just go for a few walks every now and then lel" mentality. If you actually put effort into being fit rather than just being that way naturally then there must be something wrong with you, etc.
>>
>>36723650
If you eat up to 4000 calories a day and don't lift, I can 100% guarantee you are a fat 'ogre'.

Would love to see some pics lol
>>
>>36722979
>implying you don't count your calories in order to calculate the size of the portions
>>
>>36723650
>>36723664
Also, I love how you completely disregarded everything else I said and only responded to me calling you out.
Gotta love that insecurity.
>>
>>36723649
>watching fitness youtubers for role models
Not as stupid as you, apparently. Counting calories and paying attention to macros are tools that you can use to help efficiently change your body composition. People who take it to the point of OCD or use it to target ridiculous unhealthy high/low goals have problems, but that isn't the fault of the tool.

>>36723664
To be fair, that *is* possible if you do a ton of cardio. Don't have to go to the gym for that.
>>
>>36723711
Are you stupid? Who do you think conveyed the notion of IIFYM... I'll give you a hint, YouTube Fitness Models. Dumbass.

You're implying that counting calories and paying attention to macros isn't the point of OCD? You're literally counting EVERY single macro entering your body, and you're trying to tell me that isn't OCD.

Fuck man, you're a lost cause.
>>
>>36723649
If you're hungry at the end of the day after having already eaten all your calories, there are a few possibilities. You could be aiming for an unhealthily low goal, which would be starving yourself. That's bad. You could have changed your intake level too quickly and need more time to get used to it. Not desirable, but not horrible either. Or you could be eating shit non-satiating food (muh suuuuugar addiction) so should change what you're eating to reach those calories.

Or we could go with the "anything below maintenance is starving yourself" definition. Technically correct, but stupid.
>>
>>36723225
Dude you cant eat too much proper whole foods
>>
>>36723780
Alternative, here's another idea.

Without eating like a total fat fuck, you eat when you're hungry, and you don't eat when you're not.

Simple.
>>
>>36723649

Yea you are starving yourself. That's why its a cut.

>>36723679

That guy wasn't me lol.

This thread was on the front page is why I am here, not that I haven't browsed /fit/ before from time to time.

>Eating disorder takes a number of forms.

and how is purposely eating less than maintenance a disorder unless you disagree with the concept of losing weight itself, and think we should all just eat at the pace our bodies set?

I don't go to the gym, but I do exercise for at least 2 hours a day on average. Cycling and Drumming. The days that I do, I eat less. The days that I don't, I eat UP TO 4000 calories. On average I'm probably eating above 3000 daily.

>IIFYM is an eating disorder. NoFap is a "cure" for the socially retarded.

So IIFYM can't be a cure for the grand majority of people in western countries who have become used to eating sugary processed food?
>>
>>36723736
Counting calories existed as a concept before the youtubes existed, pleb. I write down and total up the approx calories of everything I eat every day, keep a running total with overages/underages to carry over to the following day, and also make sure to have a rough idea of how much protein I'm eating. The rest of the details I leave up to just eating a variety. If I notice that my diet is starting to go significantly awry somewhere I look at changing the sort of foods I'm eating in following days. And you think that makes me OCD? kek
>>
>>36723840
>Yea you are starving yourself. That's why its a cut.
That's my point? You are psychologically aware that you are starving yourself. That is what an eating disorder is. Thank you for confirming this.

>We should all just eat at the pace our bodies set?
No, I said when you're hungry you eat, when you're not, you don't. I agree with not eating disgusting fat fuck foods whilst working out 5 times a week.

>Become used to eating sugary processed food?
Like I said, if you eat when you're hungry, providing it's not disgusting fatty foods, it's fine in my books.
>>
>>36723823
Oh sure, that works as long as you're not a recovering fatty/skelly. But if you're doing that you're not being anywhere near as efficient as you could be. Getting properly fit takes years as it is, and you want to make it slower? Ha, no.
>>
>>36723884
You're actually a dumb fuck. No shit it existed as a concept before youtube existed. But who do you think made it mainstream? YouTube. Dumbass.

Lol. You do realise what you're doing isn't IIFYM, right? Hahahahaha, how stupid are you?
>>
>>36723899
Ah, you're going with the "anything below maintenance is starving yourself" technically correct but stupid bullshit. I'mma just gonna laugh at you then.
>>
>>36723912
Right, so let's develop a psychological disorder in the process of becoming 'healthy'.
Nice logic.
>>
>>36723926
When did I say that? I already said before that the concept of a caloric maintenance is irrelevant to someone who doesn't do IIFYM. Keep up please.
>>
>>36723899

Might I ask your definition of starvation? If its the end of the day and I get the urge to eat (not a rumbly in my tumblies, I simply want to eat a peanut butter sandwich) but I tell myself not too, is that starving myself?
>>
>>36723929
>using a tool to do something better than it would otherwise occur "naturally" is a psychological disorder
>>
>>36723946
If you get the urge to each, the actual desire, and force yourself not to. You are starving yourself from that food. How is this so hard for you to grasp?
>>
>>36723929

>HELP GUIS ever since I started counting calories and making sure to get all my necessary vitamins and minerals I cant stop being healthy!
>>
>>36723929
He's right in the way he'd be right if he said that if you ever drink alcohol, you're effectively suicidal. Technically, it's impossible for woman torape men if you define rape as an act of penetration and they didn't go for the pooper. Technically, holding your breath underwater makes you suicidal, or getting on a plane, or going outside where it's more dangerous. This thread sure became redundant.
>>
>>36723955
You might view spending all this time weighing specific foods, writing down macro and micro counts, adding up all this shit to reach a daily/weekly number 'better'. I don't.

Sorry.
>>
>>36722979
Portion control is part of calorie counting for me. When I'm cutting my calories a little lower each week in a cut, it's typically easier for me to cut a little bit of food from each meal to cut those calories. Eventually I'll cut one of the meals and reportion my other meals.
>>
>>36723940
Caloric maintenance always exists. Just because you aren't paying attention to it doesn't mean it goes away.

Figured out your plan:
>ignore calories completely
>weight gain/loss becomes completely divorced from reality
>???
>infinite energy
>>
>>36723958

I really like trail mix, but It's SUPER calorie dense so I avoid it. Can I put that on my food stamps application as it is a clear indicator of starvation?
>>
>>36723960
>Implying that it's healthy to obsess over specific macronutrient breakdowns within foods to meet a daily number.

Once again, nice meme.

>>36723962
I have no idea what you mean by this post.
>>
>>36723980
>taking b8 this easy
>>
>>36723444
Wouldn't IF be an eating disorder since you force yourself not to eat until a certain time? Please respond
>>
>>36723985
Once again, for like the fifth time, it doesn't include fat disgusting foods. How hard is it for you to grasp this, lol?

>>36723980
Yes, I know it exists. But by being aware of it and eating in accordance to it makes it an eating disorder. This is my point?????
>>
>>36723975

Its not subjective. There's a certain way you should eat that will make you healthier.

Wouldn't the fact that eating disorders exist and are so common (according to you) mean that we shouldn't put any trust in our bodies natural urges at all?
>>
>>36723958
This is literal fatty logic.
>>
>>36724007

Trail mix isn't fat or disgusting though. Its fruits and nuts you fucking shitlord.
>>
>>36723958
>>>>/tumblr/
>>
>>36724002
I clearly have nothing better to do with my time.

Okay, fine. I'm clearly procrastinating.
>>
>>36724008
It is subjective? Just because you're happy sitting there with your little phone app counting up your calories for the day with your food scale doesn't mean that I hold the same beliefs in that being healthy?

When did I say that eating disorders are common? Don't put words into my mouth please. The point of what I'm saying is that we should trust our bodies natural urges lol. If you've done a fucking intense workout and you want to eat a fuckload of good lean protein and complex carbs, my view is that you should fucking go for it, not limit yourself to a number.

I really don't get why you dumbasses struggle to understand this concept so much.

>>36724010
No it's not, lol. It's actual logic. Like I said, for like the fucking 6th time, it doesn't include eating fucking fatty foods.
>>
>>36724019
Are you stupid? Trail Mix has chocolate in it you fucking dumbass. Keep eating your disgusting 100g sugar trail mix packs with chocolate and fucking salted cashews you 40% b.f. fuck.
>>
File: 1440224225310.jpg (208 KB, 615x1409) Image search: [Google]
1440224225310.jpg
208 KB, 615x1409
After literally dozens of failed cuts ive found the best way is to just go cold turkey and eat a set amount of calories (2000 for me) and cut out literally all shitty foods. The great thing about it is that i can go a little bit over without worrying about ruining my cut and am usually more than full from eating a 650g meal of chicken, rice veggies etc.

I used to do IFFYM portion control shit but ended up constantly relapsing because i was always so hungry eating calorie dense shitty meals all of the time.

Seriously guys, clean nutrition is the best way for cutting. Its actually easier and takes less discipline because you dont have to control the primal urge to eat all of the time because you're not starving yourself. Unfortunately you cant have best of both worlds and spend your days eating meat covered in bbq source and chocolate and still lose weight.
>>
>>36724058
>trail mix
>chocolate
Is this another one of those special American idiocies?
>>
>>36724062
OH. WHAT DO YOU FUCKING KNOW. Someone who isn't doing IIFYM and is sticking to eating clean, and is actually making progress with this.

Something I've been trying to convey for about 15 posts now. But you /fit/fuckwits can't seem to grasp this concept.
>>
>>36723090
Dude you are legitimately anorexic. You need to seek help for your eating disorder.
>>
>>36724071
>>
>>36723090
please tell me you're trolling

you'll look leaner faster if you preserve your muscle

;_;
>>
File: house of lies.png (432 KB, 639x479) Image search: [Google]
house of lies.png
432 KB, 639x479
>>36723347
You did not gain 7 kg in 3 weeks eating 1200 calories a day.
>>
File: Teletubbies[1].jpg (70 KB, 620x372) Image search: [Google]
Teletubbies[1].jpg
70 KB, 620x372
>>36724047
>If you've done a fucking intense workout and you want to eat a fuckload of good lean protein and complex carbs

kek I know after an intense workout my stomach monitor is always begging for some brown rice and chicken. What are you a fucking teletubbie?

>>36724075

M8 you have not been advocating eating clean. You advocate eating whatever your body wants when it wants. If you think you cant overeat while eating clean I'm telling you from experience you're 100% wrong.

>>36724093

Trail mix without chocolate isn't much different calorie wise, just so you know.

>>36724047

I don't follow IIFYM btw
>>
>>36724062

I never got how I'm supposed to get enough protein eating palm sized portions of meat.
>>
Are /fit/ members just complete trolls or do people actually believe the keto, no carbs before bed, etc memes?
>>
File: eadawdsad.png (65 KB, 1004x677) Image search: [Google]
eadawdsad.png
65 KB, 1004x677
I use autism.xlsx
>>
>>36724126
Everything you've just said I've already covered. Cbf to repeat myself.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7UMGvzWhjTw
>>
>>36724093
I have literally never seen trail mix being sold with chocolate in it. Seems like it would make it unsuitable for the alleged purpose, since the chocolate would easily melt in summer.
>>
>>36724062
You realise that macro counting doesn't say anything about calorie density, right?
>>
>>36724136
legumes, protein powder, protien filled snacks like cottage cheese, eggs.

Or just have a palm sized portion in all of your meals, 200g of chicken breast is like 60g of protien. Three meals of it equates to 180g. Easily enough on its own.
>>
>>36724062

>2016
>Believing it makes a difference if meat is from grass-fed animals or not
>>
>>36722979
I try to be around tdee - 500 but I don't give a fuck if it is 400 or 600 a specific day. I have a strikt routine for breakfast underweek and try to be around 600 cal for dinner. Lunch underweek is mostly take away (Subway, dürüm döner kebab, sometimes chinese box food). Besides that I try to have carbs mostly in the morning and i keep an eye on consuming enough proteine. This works for me and still I can enjoy eating.
>>
>>36723916
>Youtube made calorie counting mainstream

Are you under 22 and don't remember life before YouTube? Calorie counting was just as popular back in the 90s as it is now.
>>
>>36724062
I eat burgers and shit all the time. I do stay away from really shitty foods though, like donuts/fries/etc. I make sure to get a good amount of vegetables and fruit as well.

All my blood tests come back 100% clean.
>>
File: fattyfat.png (1 MB, 2496x1308) Image search: [Google]
fattyfat.png
1 MB, 2496x1308
>>36723958
Who the fuck let HAES into /fit?
>>
>>36722979
Portion control is just a much cruder and less precise form of calorie counting.
>>
>>36724156
Clearly you don't live in 'murica
Even in Canada, I see it pretty frequently.
>>
>>36722988
Pretty much the same as this anon.. And doing 20-30 min light cardio like 3 times a week
>>
>>36724156
It has a candy shell, like an jew brand m&m
>>
>>36724136
So replace the carbs with more protein.
>>
Anyone who takes calorie counting seriously is retarded. Your calorie count will be at least 25% off (due to small inaccuracies like using the weight on the package, oil evaporating, fat melting etc) not to mention your TDEE will vary by that much too.
I just use it very loosely to make sure I don't massively under/overeat. If you weigh your ingredients and only do this as a hobby you need to look at yourself
>>
>>36724182

>Or just have a palm sized portion in all of your meals

You're not supposed to do it that way. Your total daily meat consumption is supposed to be 6 ounces (170g) or less.
>>
>>36725334
>170g or less
I'm completely failing to see a reason for this.
>>
>>36725392

So that you don't die prematurely of chronic diseases. You should be eating primarily plant foods. If you need more protein, add some beans.
>>
>>36722979
how the hell do you cut without knowing how much you're actually fucking eating??
>>
>>36725446
>chronic diseases from meat intake
And what would those be? The saturated fat and cholesterol boogiemen are outdated science. I think there was probably something with chargrilled red meat and slightly increased risk of bowel cancer. Aside from how the studies in question tended to group extremely processed stuff in with the steak...
>>
>>36725459
It will average itself out. Some days you'll be under but think you're over, some days you'll be over but think you're under.
>>
>>36723025
I can just fucking smell the 80/10/10 bs
>>
>>36723025
>IIFYM is an eating disorder
it is literally the opposite of an eating disorder
>>
>>36725513

>The saturated fat and cholesterol boogiemen are outdated science.

Hahahaha
>>
>>36725116
Replace the green shit with more protein and then add a gallon of 2%.
>>
How the fuck do you count calories?
>>
The best thing to do is 1 week of counting macros & micros.
Either bulking or cutting.
>>
>>36722979

Both. Lost 130lbs in 5 months, lads.
>>
File: 1998.jpg (310 KB, 1920x840) Image search: [Google]
1998.jpg
310 KB, 1920x840
>>36723197
are you me? i'm a girl, 5'4" and 114. wow

i've been nice and slim all my life, always around 105-112, but within the past year gained some weight and was 120. freaked the fuck out and started watching my weight and eating way better. now i'm down to 114-115 depending on the day. i want to eventually get down to 105 and regain my thigh gap lmao

what kind of exercise do you do? i don't like going to the gym so i only really do situps, squats, etc. : /
>>
>>36727501
Weight of your food × chewing time ÷ (your body ÷ height)
Thread replies: 111
Thread images: 12

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.