[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Ok /fit/, here's the ticket: Me and my brother hold pads
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 3
File: holding thai pads.jpg (37 KB, 600x450) Image search: [Google]
holding thai pads.jpg
37 KB, 600x450
Ok /fit/, here's the ticket:
Me and my brother hold pads for each other - and it hurts. For the holder. It hurts so much that our forearms are dead after 2 rounds. Afterwards, both have headaches because we get shook up so much.

We're both heavweights and strike hard, but I don't think it's supposed to hurt so much that you can only do it once a week tops. "Popping" the pads helps, but not much. Our pads aren't cheap stuff, either.

So, how to hold Thai pads or mitts correctly? Pad holders of /fit/, share your wisdom! Please teach me how to hold pads step by step! Muay Thai is an autist favourite, so some of you must have experience!
Also, the pads are curved if that makes any difference and watching youtube tutorials hasn't helped.

And yes, I also posted this on /asp/, but I want as many answers as possible to find out what we're doing wrong.
>>
>>36721686

I know nothing about martial arts but it never looks comfortable for the pad holder. Perhaps you should mix in speed / technique work and reduce the power you put into your strikes so you can keep the session going longer.
>>
>>36721686
>wants to train muay thai
>it hurts
>holding pads hurts
>>
>>36721833
I also thought about that, but pads are supposed to be done full power according to everyone I ever asked. That's pretty much what they're for, going full power against a partner without any risk.
>>
Actually get some training.
>>
>>36721841
Conditioning hurts. This is different. Holding pads is not supposed to injure you.
>>
No fucking idea, but maybe you're holding it too solidly to your body.

So you need to use your arms more to absorb the blow instead of letting the force transfer into your organs, spine and brain.
>>
>>36721686
Maybe you are a little bit fagget.

Now seriously, the way I've been told is to be relaxed while holding them and only tense my muscles just before the strike. Position yourself in a way in which you can absorb the attack. If you are receiving a kick you can put both pads one in front of the other instead of like in the pic.
>>
>>36721861
But isn't that how it's supposed to be done so your arms don't fly all over the place?

>>36721891
But we do that already. It still feels like getting hit by a car. At this point, it's almost more pleasant to take the hits WITHOUT pads, so I figure we're doing something very, very wrong.
>>
>>36721686
Are you pushing your pads into the kick? You can always be like the girls and wear shin guards too. Fucking faggot lord.
>>
>>36721686
I know that trainer in the picture, btw. His name is Vince.
>>
>>36721939
>Are you pushing your pads into the kick?
Of course.

>Shin guards
Those are for the pad holder, so the trainee gets accustomed to spike the shin with his knee.
>>
>>36721944
Tell him to do a step by step pad holding tutorial, such a thing doesn't exist on the net yet. I'm serious.
>>
>>36721686
Shouldn't be getting a headache after you've done it long enough. Are guys newer?

Aside from conditioning over time, you could try pushing the pads out a little at the time of near impact. Should help ansorb some blow.

But really, you.shoukd get used to this over time.
>>
>>36721945
I'm saying the kicker can wear shin guards so it takes some of the force out of the kick to the pads. I see the pussies doing that with one another when the faggots like you pair up.
>>
>>36721949
Why don't you take a class instead of expecting everything to be free.
>>
get the kicker to wear shin pads, because strong kicks can be felt right through pads

the pad holder should be giving a slight push at each kick to prevent getting pushed around.
>>
>>36721952
>Shouldn't be getting a headache after you've done it long enough. Are guys newer?
No, we're actually quite experienced in full contact karate, judo etc.

>Aside from conditioning over time, you could try pushing the pads out a little at the time of near impact. Should help ansorb some blow.
We already do that, the only way to make the strikes tolerable is to push so hard that the strike gets smothered, but that can't be the point of the exercise.

>But really, you.shoukd get used to this over time.
Hm, ok.

>>36721955
So you train with pussies, alright.

>>36721961
We did, nobody could tell us what was wrong and they had problems holding the pads for us, too. But then again, they weren't heavyweight, so we thought whatever.
>>
File: thaipads.jpg (347 KB, 732x659) Image search: [Google]
thaipads.jpg
347 KB, 732x659
>>36721686
Did you really look on youtube?
>>
File: kopax-red-1038x576.jpg (57 KB, 1038x576) Image search: [Google]
kopax-red-1038x576.jpg
57 KB, 1038x576
>>36721686
From what it sounds you should have been using these pads.
>>
>>36721987
Ah, now that you mention it: We do it bare knuckle and without shin guards. Does it make that much of a difference? And if yes, how do you train elbows and knees then? You can't pad those.
>>
Holding the pads hurt like hell the first few times I did it. I got bruises all over my forearms. But you'll get used to it. Just keep on trying and like the others already told you: stop being such pussies
>>
>>36722001
Yes. The first vid in the list sucks, btw.
>>
>>36722048
check out the 8,000 other videos then.
>>
>>36722047
Well, if the former national Chinese Sanda coach's comment on our punches is "Whoa!", it's pretty safe to say that we aren't pussies.
>>
>>36722057
Why don't you ask him then instead of bugging people in a tibetan freedom fighters brigade talent show review.
>>
The object of pad work isn't being a slab of concrete that someone punches. Why not strap a pad to a fucking pillar?

The object of pad work is to move with the force like a person would. Hold it out, take the hit, move back if the force knocks you back. Don't let the pad smack into you, weakling.
>>
>>36722072
I hope a Uighur stabs you in the neck the next time you take a overnight bus.
>>
>>36722073
Also kicking requires the bigger pad, instead of the boxing ones, your hands aren't meant to absorb the force of a kick from certain angles.
>>
>>36721686
??? I've never had anyone complain that holding pads hurt, and I used to train under a lumpinee champion. Give us more info?

Also, you're not kicking the boxing pads like >>36722088 mentioned, are you? That's autistic
>>
>>36722097
He's a sanda practitioner. What do you expect?
>>
>>36721908
No you fucking idiot hold them out so you don't absorb the impact into the body. Jesus christ.
>>
>>36721908
nah. idk about martial arts but i ride motorcycle and impact that is absorbed trough through protector has to go somewhere. that shouldnt be your joints or as a guy above you quoted says, your organs.
you have to be somewhat flexible for dampening the impact of the blow othervise fprce just flows until it can be fully absorbed.
>>
>>36722100
Sanda is a pretty tough martial art actually, for all the hate it gets.

Also, embed a video? I could correct you if I were able to see what you're doing wrong.
>>
>>36722140
>Also, embed a video? I could correct you if I were able to see what you're doing wrong.

That's to OP.
>>
>>36722097
No, Thai pads.

>>36722105
Then my arms fly all over the place and hit me in the nose.

>>36722127
But there's gotta be some resistance, otherwise the guy striking won't get any training.
>>
>>36722011
Rekt
>>
>>36722154
well, true. but resistance can come with knowing bit of restraint and third newton's law. the sheer moment of impact should provide enough resistance and turning the pad slightly left or right so you do not absorb the full force.

english isnt my main language but im thinking about a synonim for deflect.

of course this is only until aborber is conditioned bit more in absorbing hits. then he can start receiving stronger hits.

it should be like a workout for speed for a hitter and workout for absorption for the one with the pads.

how do you call it, muscle memory? conditioning your muscles to be flexible to absorb the impacts as best as they can
>>
I've worked with some fat guys before and they generally throw so much weight around and lean into punches and kicks that they'd be toppling out of balance if there wasn't anything to hold them back.
I can only imagine this is OP and his brother's case, a lot of 140 kg people have so much mass and inertia that it's hard for them to stop going once they get going.
My advice is to just fix your technique, if you're throwing punches and kicks that just fling shit around you're *pushing* the bag and pads, you're not snapping the punches. Good kicks and punches should be more like a whip crack, a fast effective transmission of power rather than an out of control big gut train running out of rails. Relax more and focus more on being fast and reactive rather than strong and rigid. Haymakers only connect once in a blue moon in a fight anyway.

Do your fat guy banzai charges on a heavy bag if you must but you should never be attacking all out so much that you'd keel over if your target dodged.
>>
>>36722240
>synonym for deflect
Redirect?
>>
You and your brother both suck at martial arts, should study technique before you tear your acl or hurt your lower backs/hips. You hold the pads by sliding your arms under the straps and grasping the handles at the top, the straps wrap around your forearms, and when the kick lands just take the force and lightly sway backwards rather than resisting. Power is power, if you are stationary and your brother is kicking full blast, it's gonna hurt. Unless you move away a little or meet his kick before it's at the zenith of its power.
Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.