[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
are push ups a meme or are they legit? if i do hundreds of push
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 7
File: Push-Ups.jpg (36 KB, 540x383) Image search: [Google]
Push-Ups.jpg
36 KB, 540x383
are push ups a meme or are they legit?
if i do hundreds of push ups a day will i see results?
>>
Are push ups a meme?

yeah, ok.
>>
I started doing 100 push ups a day about 2 years before I started lifting and I was a chubby teenager and when I started lifting I was much more in shape and found myself to have much more pace and my arms got huge so yeah its not a meme kek
>>
By doing push ups, you'll get good at doing push ups. More or less the only benefit. If you wanna get anywhere with push ups, you need to add weight.
>>
most exercises are shit if you do 100's a day
add some weight if you can do sets of 8-12
maybe alternate with bodyweight pushups and try to achieve a high number for sets
>>
>>36721414
Probably THE most underrated exercise of all. Partly because most people always try to find ways to make them easier rather than harder, which is of course stupid. You don't get bigger and stronger by putting LESS weight on the bar.

Do them strict and always look for ways to make them more challenging, for example by manipulating leverages. You will like the results. Push-ups are IN FACT superior to the bench press in almost every way. The only problem is that they're very difficult/impractical to load, which can make it a bigger hassle to progress, and of course harder or even impossible to do low rep training.
>>
>trane BJJ on off days
>instructor decides to have us do a circuit of gorillion pushups and situps
>I know that this will fuck my bench tomorrow
>tomorrow came, it was time to bench
>warmups feel weird on left shoulder and elbow
>only get to three work set reps before having to abort
>something in the back of my left shoulder hurts

What do?
>>
>>36721414
Do many different types ie diamonds, narrow handed, one handed, alternating one leg, clapping. Focus on form and do not slouch.
>>
No, look up fortress on youtube, you can get ripped with bodyweight only.

Don't just do push-ups though.
>>
>>36722968
You don't go from being used to do zero push-ups to doing a gorillion in one day. This will fuck you up. The same can be said for any exercise or activity. You MUST always ease into things or you WILL increase risk of injury by 1000%.
Your "instructor" is an idiot. Even if he's a skilled BJJ practitioner.
>>
How do I halt my embarrassment of doing pushups and pt in front of other people?

I can do it in a group, but like in the dorm where its just me and my roommate I can't really work up the nerve to do a pt routine. Cause it'd look weird.
>>
>>36722944
This, i've done pushups for a while now, and about 1 year of doing 1000 pushups 3 times a week i stopped getting results, the thing is you have to progress in some way, for me it was doing one arm and pseudo planche pushups, also weighted dips
>>
>>36723097
dude. stop watching the world trough their eyes.
do pushups
>>
Im following the Scooby method of getting better at push ups now. 5 sets of 20 until i can do 100 clean
>>
>>36722944
1000 in one day, 3 times a week? jesus
>>
File: 1456195801752.jpg (9 KB, 211x246) Image search: [Google]
1456195801752.jpg
9 KB, 211x246
>>36723235
1k 3 times a week?

what the fuck
>>
do it. be careful, though you might go bald.
>>
>>36721414
>if i do hundreds of push ups a day will i see results?
Well, when I was a kid, I could do 250 push ups in one set.
Because that was boring, I changed it to 45 push ups between chairs.

A few months later, I went to the gym for the first time ever and benched bodyweight for 5 reps easily.

So yeah, it does work. Doing so many at once will fuck your shoulders, though. Better do like 10 sets of 50 or something.
>>
>>36723726
>>36723770
Yep you could say i really like pushups, but it mentally tires you after a while, also 500 pullups the days i wasn't doing pushups or running, it created some core/legs imbalance, but my back is big as fuck
>>
>>36723235
I live in the American Gardens Building on W. 81st Street on the 11th floor. My name is Patrick Bateman. I'm 27 years old. I believe in taking care of myself and a balanced diet and rigorous exercise routine. In the morning if my face is a little puffy I'll put on an ice pack while doing stomach crunches. I can do 1000 now. After I remove the ice pack I use a deep pore cleanser lotion.
>>
File: Em1.png (290 KB, 479x441) Image search: [Google]
Em1.png
290 KB, 479x441
>>36723385
You and me, anon.
>>
File: 1459290005736.jpg (17 KB, 487x500) Image search: [Google]
1459290005736.jpg
17 KB, 487x500
>>36725499
>500 pullups
Shiggydiggy
>>
Are pushups a what?
Are you fucking retarded?

Bodyweight exercise is 100% legit. Every military and martial art and real sport on the planet uses bodyweight exercise and calisthenics.
Even the insanely talented chinese and russians use it.

The only ONLY people on the planet who will tell you otherwise are trying to sell you something or are completely fucking retarded.
>>
>>36722944
>>36723235
>>36725499
okay, lets see pics. I want to see if these types of people are skellies or not.
>>
No, I did literally thousands of pushups a week as a teenager and the first time I got a chance to bench press I easily repped 80kg while only weighing 68kg

as soon as you can do like 40-50 in a set start making them harder though, incline pushups are GOAT as are weighted pushups.
>>
I once did 70 push ups in one set when I used to take taekwondo classes and I was like 130lbs at 5'11. I doubt you can get big by doing push ups unless you add weight.
>>
>>36727235
>Every military uses bodyweight exercise and calisthenics.
that's for conditioning, not mass.
>>
>>36723385
thanks for the suggestion sempai, didn't want to do a meme workout but I trust scoobs. I'll give it a shot.
>>
>>36721414
I knew a guy with a great body. He had quality pecs and a six pack. He said he did 100 pushups per day.

IMO I like calisthenics as a sort of cardio. They're not as gay as running and they give a great pump.

Most mornings I do this routine to wake my body up in the morning, takes about 15 mins

30 body weight squats
1 min plank
30 body weight squats
1 min plank
25 pushups
1 min plank
25 incline pushups
>>
>>36727338
1.You can gain mass from bodyweight
2.Military does not fucking care about mass, only strength and looking intimidating.
3.A massive soldier is just a large slow target. Stop jacking off to to military industrial complex recruitment literature.
>>
i was convinced pushups would give me results no matter what anybody said, just seemed like common sense. learn from this, anon...

>set a timer on my phone that beeped every 15 minutes
>every time the beep went off, wherever i was or whatever i was doing i dropped and pumped out 25 pushups
>if i was driving i made up the diff at the next beep
>did this 3 months
>some days literally did 1500 pushups
>resulted in literally zero gains
>pushups just got easier

i am not fucking with you. please don't make my mistake.
>>
>>36727607
You're an idiot.
>>
>>36727715

you might think that but the saving grace was that i made probably ~$25K betting on pushup contests with drunk chads at bars that year. I made more than $2000 from a pool on a friday night once getting bet against being able to do 500 pushups. come at me.
>>
>>36727607
LOL. Why did it take you three months to come to that realization though?
>>
>>36727607
of course you don't get gains from doing an easy routine over and over again you goddamn idiot. At that point your arms and chest are developed enough that you're basically doing cardio.

it's possible to gains from pushups, but they work just like any other strength exercise. You add resistance. Can do one handed, diamond, backpack, backbitch, handstand pushups or what the fuck ever, but if you don't increase load of course you're not going to do shit for your muscles.

jesus how stupid can you be
>>
>>36727607

>set a timer on my phone that beeped every 15 minutes
>every time the beep went off, wherever i was or whatever i was doing i dropped and pumped out 25 pushups

That might be the most retarded exercise routine I ever saw.
>>
File: Obscure feels.jpg (50 KB, 500x323) Image search: [Google]
Obscure feels.jpg
50 KB, 500x323
>tfw can't do push ups anymore because wrist is all fucked up
>>
File: 100_8437.jpg (1 MB, 3664x2748) Image search: [Google]
100_8437.jpg
1 MB, 3664x2748
>>36727289
Sorry, i know i look like shit, but i try to work with the things i have.
>>
File: 100_8433.jpg (1 MB, 3664x2748) Image search: [Google]
100_8433.jpg
1 MB, 3664x2748
>>36728794
Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.