[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
The powdered jew
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 3
File: 1447624937083.jpg (1 MB, 2048x1365) Image search: [Google]
1447624937083.jpg
1 MB, 2048x1365
Is protein a meme? Do I really need ~1g per lb of weight? I've been looking into switching to a vegan diet, and vegan bodybuilders seem to get by with only half of that amount of protein (~1g per kg of body weight).

Is eating massive amounts of protein to get big a myth perpetuated by the fitness industry to sell supplements? Is calories consumed more important than specific macros?
>>
yea pretty much
inb4 jews start shilling protein in this thread
>>
You don't need more than 100g/day.
>>
I shoot for 1.5g per lb of body weight, get on my level faggot.
>>
>>36717279
>Is protein powder a meme
Yes. You can easily get all the protein you need from whole foods like meat, eggs and beans. Y

>Are calories more important than macros
If you are far from your target weight and looking to gain or lose then yes. If you are already lean and want to get into the sub 8% range you need to know the macro content of every single meal.
>>
for vast majority of nattys ~100g (0.6-0.7g/lb) is all they need, and adding anything to that simply won't change anything
>>
>>36717279
>calling protein power a Jew meme
>converting to vegan
>>
>>36717500
I agree that products marketed toward vegans are a jew meme, but I was planning on just eating a lot of fruits, vegetables, rice, beans, etc, homemade things. Mostly for health reasons, and also ethical reasons.

I don't think eating meat is always inherently wrong, just unnecessary in most developed countries.
>>
>>36717279
0.625 g's of protein per lb of lean mass. Don't bother with lean mass calculations though. Do this:
>stand on scale
>look at bodyweight
>multiply that number by 0.625
That's how much protein you need daily in grams. More is generally better, and if you don't see gainz increase the amount.

Also, google mate. Assume everybody on fit including me is a retard.
>>
>>36717635
> everybody on fit including me is a retard

Avg fitizen
>>
>>36717279
1g protein per kilogram of lean bodymass. If you cut, eat more protein.
>>
>>36717305
it's not a meme. Protein powder is for people who are unable to get their protein needs. Also, protein powder is beneficial pre and post workout. I can't eat before I workout because I feel bloated, and I can't eat after because I'm not very hungry. It's not a meme faggot.
>>
>>36718110

it is also cheaper, mostly depending on how much you eat and therefore spend on food in general.

in my case, in order to get the equivalent amount of (quality) protein i would need to buy 1 tub of greek yogurt a day (in addition to other food), and that's already more expensive, but still the cheapest option. and not as tasty, either.

chocolate and vanilla flavored protein for the win.
>>
>>36717279
With a normal, or vegetarian diet with eggs, and/or dairy, you only need about 100-150g, but with a vegan diet, you might want to eat 150g+, for optimal gainz.
Which is kinda hard if you don't supplement.
But, despite being a meme, Vegan gaynes has a rather nice body, even though he consumes less protein than what is suggested. Just don't train like a meme.

Wade through the waters, and see what works for you. Give Jason Blaha's videos on vegan protein needs a look too, that might help you.

>tfw system still flags a post with VGs name as spam
>>
>>36718204
It's cheap and convenient but not necessary. If you're cutting it's empty cals without any micro nutrients, and the protein can be found through actual food. Chewing your calories is superior to drinking them, always.
>>
>>36718110
This. If you aren't hungry can't afford to eat 10 soggy chicken breasts a day to get 200g of protein a day, protein powder is a godsend. It's easy to put down and makes it a hell of a lot easier to hit your daily intake. If it's not for you that's fine. But don't claim it's a meme without doing your research and understanding empirical evidence.
>>
>>36718110
>I can't eat before or after I work out
You don't need to eat right before you work out dingus. And nutrient timing is a myth, you don't need to eat right after your workout.
>powder is for people who can't get enough protein
You can already get the amount of protein you need from food without having to use powder. Just eat better food.
>>
I'd eat actually eat more if was cheaper, I love mixing protein powder with cottage cheese or oats
>>
>>36718256
For my cut it was extremely necessary. 110 kcal for 23g of protein was critical for me. Keeping that protein intake up to par is vital for minimizing muscle loss on a caloric deficit. You're probably right about the micros though.
>>
>>36718277
>10 soggy chicken breasts a day
>Soggy chicken
B R I N E
R
I
N
E

Bruh you need to visit /ck/ and learn to cook.
>>
>>36718277
It can also be cheaper.
>>
>>36718295
I was just mainly kidding and using hyperbole but my point still stands. I could definitely stand to learn to cook more though. Never hurts to learn new shit.
>>
Take your fat percentage, divide it by 100, multiply it by your total body weight. The number you get will be your lean body mass (LBM).

Whatever your LBM is, if you're a frequent weightlifter, and optimal daily protein intake would be 1.5-2 grams of protein per pound of a LBM.
>>
Depending heavily on the brand, it may be useful if you're going for a protein sustained modified fast (PSFM) during cutting season and need a way to maintain a high protein intake without overshooting carbs. Whey isolate ain't bad for that.

Other brands are more suited for bulking, and others are hardly any better than a milkshake.
>>
>>36717885
Enjoy cardio-bunny mode.

1g/kg of LBM is like 10% of your calories, maybe 15% on a cut.
>>
>>36718363

That just gives you how much of your body weight is from fat. You need to subtract the resulting number from your total weight to get your LBM.
>>
>>36718423
I've always done my entire body weight in grams of protein. So if I'm 180lbs, I'd shoot for 180g of protein at least
>>
>>36718363
Math too hard mate, go back to lifting
>>
>>36717279
An hour of research in peer reviewed joutnals validate for me that in fact the average optimum absorbtion in a 24 hour period was achieved at as little as 0.6g/lb

Thus it can be concluded that 0.8g/lb is sufficient to have adequate headroom.

You're welcome.
>>
>>36717279
The American College of Sports Medicine recommends 1.2-1.7 grams per kilogram total body weight for strength/power athletes. I aim for the upper end of this.

People suggesting 1 gram per kg lean mass are basically trying to steal your gains.
>>
>>36718487
What study says the 0.6 g per lb for absorption?
>>
>>36718610
Actually, it looks like they're more specific with their recommendations now, saying 1.6-1.7 grams per kilo for strength athletes.

https://www.acsm.org/public-information/acsm-blog/sports-nutrition-un-plugged
>>
>>36717292
DYEL confirmed.
>>
>>36717305
>Yes. You can easily get all the protein you need from whole foods like meat, eggs and beans. Y

While this is true, on a cut it is easier to drink a shake of whey isolate than eating another 200g of chicken breast after you already did 1 kg

Also, no other type of protein gets processed as fast as whey isolates, so it reigns supreme as a post-workout meal (given that you also eat a normal meal in an hour after that)
>>
>>36717279

0.5 - 0.6 grams per pound of lean body mass for beginners

0.7 - 0.8 grams per pound of lean body mass for intermediate/advanced lifters

1.25 grams per pound of lean body mass for elite/juicing lifters

Eat ~10% more protein if you're on a cut.
>>
>>36718279
>And nutrient timing is a myth, you don't need to eat right after your workout.

A complete lack of understanding how Glycogenesis works. I mean, you just say that a current medical fact is a 'myth'.

I swear the fucking internet brought to us the second dark age. Given enough time people will argue that the Earth is flat and the Sun is orbiting around us.
>>
>>36720227
The sun IS orbiting around us you fucking faggot. Why do you think it always goes around the same way every day: from east to west EVERY DAY. If we were going around the sun then it would always light earth from the same angle just lie the earth lights the moon so we always see the same face of it, dumbass.
Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.