[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How come when I go into different gyms my bench press varies
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3
How come when I go into different gyms my bench press varies so greatly?

This has happened to me quite a few times now, from going to university, to my gym, to my friends gym, to switching gyms. Sometimes the amount I can bench varies by 20-30lbs. What I can easily throw around in one gym will be a sincere struggle in another gym.

What are the effects of bench width? What is the "official" bench width standard? Are the bars different diameters? Is the weight distribution of the bars different? What is going on?
>>
>>36709889
Probably just youre focusing more on your surroundings than your movement. I signed up to a new gym a month ago and it's all mirrors and spice boys and off putting but have to focus.
>>
>>36710190

No that has nothing to do with it. Even if I go consistently to some gyms I can't bench as much.

Does anyone know what the "official" bench press width is and the "official" bar circumference?
>>
Some gyms have bars that only weigh 10kg rather than 20kg, my gym has a mix of both. I always end up using the 20kg because it's the standard.
>>
Yeah the bar can come into consideration, some people don't even take it into account when saying how much they lift.

Similarly op, You know how some plates have holes in them so they are easier to grab? Do you calculate the weight of? You have to take this in consideration when switching gyms.
>>
>>36709889
Gravity is probably different at your university gym
>>
>>36710968
>>36711050

Ha ha great joke, Anonymous
>>
>>36711050
Well obviously, weights are heavier at sea level. The gravitational force is proportional to the mass and distance between two objects. The farther away you are from the center of the earth, the easier it is to lift. Science bitches :)

I hit all my personal MRs on mountain top gyms.
>>
>>36711089
But at higher elevation there is more Earth under you, so gravity is actually more. You probably just do better because there's less air resistance.
>>
>>36711127
>>36711089
Interesting points Anons! I personally noticed that my lifts increase during the full moon. It makes sense though, I mean the moon can lift the tides (water is super heavy), so why not plates?

>>36709889
What phase was the moon in when you switched gyms anon?
>>
A) Bar thickness and weight as someone has stated. My gym has 3 different kind of 20 kg bars.
One with very small circumference, one medium and one with a big one. I *NEED* the middle one to bench properly, the others fuck my focus and grip up so bad because it feels so off.
B) the bench quality
My gym has 2 different types of good benches (Good benches are those who are completely flat. The ones who are pillowy and shaped after comfort sucks ass, notice this too). 1 has a really high rack positioning, which makes it hard for a manlet like me to unrack weight after 90kg+, due to my short arms I have to lose all tension in my back to get out of the hole.
3) The plates. Some plates may be by standard 4-5 pounds heavier/lighter than others. No way to know for sure if the weight is indeed as labeled on it.
>>
File: sphereVectors.png (32 KB, 400x281) Image search: [Google]
sphereVectors.png
32 KB, 400x281
>>36710190
>>36710299
>>36710968
>>36711050
>>36711089
>>36711127
>>36711242
>>36711324
All valid points, but you can't forget how latitude affects your lifts too. Closer to the equator, the earth spins faster than at the poles (on the surface, obviously, lol!). That means the the centriputal force helps you lift more.

Check pic related if you don't understand what I'm saying.
>>
>YOOL 2000+16
>Trying to beat your PRs
>Not lifting at the top of Volcán Chimborazo in Ecuador
>Trying to make it.

Lel
>>
>>36711050
>>36711089
>>36711127
>>36711242
>>36711401
>>36711530
Never change /fit/

I love you beautiful retards :)
>>
>>36709889
Protip: Weight plates are normally not standardized. Only plates used for Oly weightlifting are.
>>
>>36709889
>What are the effects of bench width?
an infinitly narrow bench would slice you in half, an infinitly broad bench would block your arms from the bottom position.
>What is the "official" bench width standard?
you could google what ipf say about equipmen
>Are the bars different diameters?
could be, shouldn't be
>Is the weight distribution of the bars different?
absolutely shouldn't be
>What is going on?
the plates could differ in weight. an american made standard plate is 45 lbs whilst a european is 20 kg and 20 kg != 45 lbs. the bars could be crooked. my best guess would be placebo though. working out in a foreign environment could be a bit distracting.
>>
File: bench.png (102 KB, 820x423) Image search: [Google]
bench.png
102 KB, 820x423
>>
Could be just distracted. It's mental I guarantee. You can't be dumb enough to not notice different weight bars, 20kg vs 10kg.

Could be your eating habits are different now before this gym or you're not sleeping the same..anything
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.