[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
4 year lifter here, I have a question about cardio. If I do
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 2
File: 1424284617898.png (82 KB, 239x229) Image search: [Google]
1424284617898.png
82 KB, 239x229
4 year lifter here, I have a question about cardio.

If I do HIIT for 15minutes or so, or run for 30minutes, my lifting suffers greatly, but I can walk for 2+ hours non-stop and lift the same day without any loss in performance in the gym with lifting.

Why is this the case? It can't be calories burnt, because I am burning more calories in 2 hours of walking, than I am with 15minutes of HIIT or 30minutes of running. So what exactly is it about HIIT and running that fucks up my lifting performance?
>>
Because HIIT and running ups your heart rate and walking doesn't as much.
Why would you want to walk for 2 hours?
>>
>>36704327
>Because HIIT and running ups your heart rate and walking doesn't as much.

How does that impact performance on lifting though? There's gotta be another explaination, like HIIT/Running must use the same "training patterns" as lifting does..maybe? Like ATP or whatever? Where as walking doesn't use ATP...? I dunno.

>Why would you want to walk for 2 hours?

Because I like taking long walks, helps with the depression, fresh air. Plus my grandparents are in their 90s and have walked 2-3 hours a day every-day since they retired and they're in top health for their age.
>>
Muscles get damaged when put under exertion. When that happens performance drops.

What's so hard to understand?
>>
>>36704354
More intense exercises, like running and HIIT, require more energy supplied in a shorter timeframe. Glycogen is what the body uses in this case. Glycogen is also used to quickly recruit energy for lifting. When you're glycogen delpeted, you feel lethargic and can't perform as well physically. Walking, on the other hand, burns energy much more slowly and uses less glycogen and more fats for energy.
>>
I run before lifting and actually find I lift better. Make sure you're spacing it out in the day though and have a few meals inbetween. You also might be to much of a noob to handle that type of training frequency. What are your lifts?
>>
>>36704445
Holy fucking bro science, your body doesn't switch between energy sources.
>>
>>36704976
Broscience? Bitch please learn some physiology. When your body runs out of sugars to burn it starts burning fat. This is practically common knowledge. According to your logic, it (your body) would see that it's out of sugar and then it would just catabolize itself because no sugar.
>>
>>36704287
dont worry op you just need to eat more. also remember how anavar will make you stronger by increasing your blood volume(hematocrit) and amount of red blood cells? well cardio will do this for you. when you are extremely out of breath your body is in a state of hypoxia and this triggers your body to produce more red blood cells. youre gunnamake it m8 keep on it
>>
>>36705017
Okay now how does walking trick your body into thinking it's out of sugar?

Retard
>>
>>36705245
It simply doesn't need energy fast so it doesn't use glycogen but instead uses fat.
I hope you are baiting, if you aren't try to educate yourself.
>>
>>36705245
>Walking, on the other hand, burns energy much more slowly and uses less glycogen and more fats for energy.
im not the original poster but seriously can you even read your dorky fucking virgin
>>
>>36704445

OP here.

SO what I gather from this is that.....if I do HIIT or running, the fuel that my body uses during lifting...is being used up by HIIT/running? But if I just do walking, I am not using the same fuel my body uses when I am lifting? hence why I can walk for hours upon hours, and still lift that same day without any issues?
>>
>>36705309
how about you do enough running and eat enough to get your body used to it. why are you even training if you dont want to be athletic
>>
>>36705320
shut the fuck up faggot.

what is it with autistic DYEL cock suckers on this imageboard nitpicking everything people say? go fuck yourself cunt.

I dont think ive seen a single one of you nitpicking faggots that ever posted pics or achieved anything fitness related besides keyboard expert it up on forums like jason blaha, literally fuck yourselves you reptilian sex slaves
>>
>>36704287
It's basically ATP depletion.

Walking will be aerobic, i.e. you can maintain your ATP stores throughout the time.

HIIT/running is anaerobic, your ATP stores are fucked.

Thats basically the short of it.
>>
>>36705351
ill post a pic if you do. oh wait you wont because youre a dorky virgin how does it feel that your mom has bigger arms than you
>>
>>36705372
B-b-but she has fatceps.

It doesn't count... R-r-right /fit/?
>>
>>36705415
it counts im sorry
>>
>>36705425
Then I bet she has bigger arms than 99% of fit.

Silver lining i guess.
>>
>>36705271
Hey idiot the type of exercise you do doesn't determine where your body decides to get its energy source. If you're eating a carb based diet you will burn that for energy until there is none left and then your body will switch to converting fat. I swear you people read something on here and parrot it as fact.
>>
File: 1453999976169.png (55 KB, 245x212) Image search: [Google]
1453999976169.png
55 KB, 245x212
>4 year "lifter"
>It's so hard to do both lifting and cardio!

You nosports fags with your bitch-made, untrained cardiovascular systems are fucking pathetic in the gym and in life.
>>
>>36705276
He just contradicted himself. He first statement was walking slowly burns much less energy so it uses fat instead of glycogen. He then stated that "when your body runs out of sugar it starts to burn fat". So please post a study that tells me at what energy output does my body switch energy sources when Im on a carbohydrate based diet? What if i skip am i using fat or carbs? What if I scream will I walk will that push me over the threshold and I will only use sugar?

Seriously I'm loling hard af right now
>>
>>36705505
Why are cardio/sports fags always so elitist towards lifters?

You guys really that butt-hurt that you look like absolute dog shit compared to us?

Fucking DYEL cardio/sports fags jelly of lifter aesthetics, stay mad lankybod.
>>
>>36705536

You're a douche who lacks basic knowledge of metabolism. Three concepts: Aerobic, anaerobic, and the switch the metabolism makes when it hits "the wall". Even amateur athletes know this shit, what the fuck is wrong with you?
>>
>>36705572
Okay and how do you hit "the wall" when walking to make the switch.
>>
>>36705559

>Why are cardio/sports fags always so elitist towards lifters?

Because being a "lifter" isn't a thing unless you're competing. You're a casual fag who thinks a quarter of even an amateur athlete's training regimen is a legitimate hobby, and your half-assery carries over into every other part of your life every single time.
>>
>>36705536
Your body uses fast energy stores to perform lifting and fast paced movement like HIIT/running.

Google : ATP.

Walking doesn't induce the same intensity that lifting/hiit/running does, so slow-energy-release sources are used instead. ie bodyfat.
>>
>>36705600
Your insecurity and jellyness is showing, you lanky dyel cardio fag.

Cardio fag are the nu-males of the fitness industry.
>>
>>36705603
Your body has multiple systems it uses to produce ATP. However it does not switch energy sources based on the type of activity, it only switches when that energy source is depleted.
>>
>>36705642
So you think HIIT and LISS fuction the same way? Or that a 30 second set at high intensity with free weights works the same energy source as slow paced walking?

.....if you say yes I am done here
>>
>>36705918
Same energy source different energy systems. Unless you can show me otherwise.
>>
>>36704287
Don't do cardio and lift on the same day, then. You're not Superman.
>>
>>36705271
Probably the dumbest thing I've ever read on fit, which is quite an accomplishment.
>>
>>36705600

>A quarter

What do you think the 4 elements are?

I'm guessing resistance, sport specific/technical training and cardio?

I'm drawing a blank at the fourth.

I hope it's flexibility because that way I'd have all 4 covered.
>>
>>36706868
Lol this dude is making zero sense and contradicting himself at every turn. I just didn't want people listening to his broscience and not running because they think fucking walking burns more fat.
>>
>>36705918
You're body won't use fat until your glycogen is depleted. You can deplete your glycogen pretty quickly with cardio, but only when our glycogen is gone will you start breaking down bodyfat for energy. Your body ALWAYS uses ATP for energy. Whether you're under anaerobic or aerobic conditions, your primary source of energy is the conversion of glycogen, to glucose, to ATP.
>>
>>36707164
Brb walking for 8 hours a day for 2 weeks and becoming shredded.

I hope that moron was just trolling
>>
>>36705603
Even when bodyfat is used its converted to ATP eventually dumbass. The phosphates in the ATP is where the energy comes from for your body to functions. Maybe YOU should Google ATP. Or take intro MCB.
>>
>>36707207
I sure hope so. I wouldn't be surprised if it's just some 14 year old who just failed his high school bio test.
>>
do hiit after lifting, not before. if it is effecting your lifting.
hiit and lifting raise your hr, lowering oxygen intake making it so glycogen is your preferred source of energy.
things like liss keep your hr low allowing your cells more oxygen and avoiding glycogen stores.
>>
>>36707250
Nope. The presence of oxygen does not determine whether or not you use glycogen or not. Both glycolysis and substrate level phosphorylation utilize products of glucose breakdown to produce ATP. HIIT is an anaerobic workout so the exhaustion you feel that prevents you from lifting heavy is probably a build up of lactic acid in the body. Either way, you should either do cardio after lifting, or wait a few hours and have a meal with carbs to replensish glycogen before lifting.
>>
>>36705367
How long do you think it takes to produce ATP amigo?
>>
>>36704287
Because walking is easy as piss. Yes you are burning energy, but your muscles, tendons, joints, cardiovascular system, and CNS are not under any stress whatsoever. Just stick with actual cardio for a month and your body will adapt, walking is for old people and fat people.
>>
>>36704287
"I TOOK BIO 101"
The thread
>>
>>36704354
>Like ATP or whatever? Where as walking doesn't use ATP...?
I've seen people who were intentionally acting as stupid as possible and were still smarter than this
>>
>>36704287
Seems like noone in this thread passed high school biology.
ATP is the main carrier of cellular energy in the body, and each of the three macronutrients can be decomposed to release this energy.
The difference between running and walking is that your body cannot bring enough oxygen to your cells during running, while it can during walking.
Without sufficient oxygen, cells perform Lactic Acid Fermentation to create energy, which is an overall less efficient process than Cellular Respiration, which occurs when there is enough oxygen.
Lactic acid is a byproduct of your cells producing energy without enough oxygen, and it causes the burning sensation in your muscles and weakens them until it can be removed later by your body's other functions.
>>
>>36707545
Yep, that's been said at least once in the thread already brah.
Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.