[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>workout at uni gym >personal trainer there is 67 and holds
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 5
File: IMG_20160401_124417791_HDR.jpg (3 MB, 4320x2432) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160401_124417791_HDR.jpg
3 MB, 4320x2432
>workout at uni gym
>personal trainer there is 67 and holds five world records in benching. Is also a registered PT
>he said it's bad to squat and bench on the same day, because my "blood needs to stay one area per workout" (whatever that means)
>told me I squat too low
>said barbell shouldn't go below the shoulders when i do OHP because it'll give me arthritic shoulders
>tells me pullups are bad "never do them"
>tells me to stop "locking out"
>he tells me he'll show me better programming (for free)
>I show up next day
> tells me to do isolation machine lifts the whole time, all 3x20
>he tells me "you're not used to 'real' workouts, huh?"
>I say "ha, thanks! Good workout!"
>workout felt just add effective at doing heavy weight on barbell squats 5x5, accept took way longer
>also I superstitiously trust free weights
What am I doing wrong?
>>
>>36702118

You need to realize that a PTs goal isn't go get you juicy as fuark as fast as possible but rather keep you paying as long as possible.
Regardless of whether you are doing machines or free weights, doing more that ~10 reps for a set with adequate weight will never get you anywhere, which is exactly where that guy wants you to be.
>>
>>36702178
I didn't pay anything. He said he doesn't think I need to take his class.
This was all free.
>>
>>36702207

You need to realize that old peoples goal isn't to help you but rather make you keeping them company as long as possible.
Regardless of whether you are doing machines or free weights, doing more that ~10 reps for a set with adequate weight will never get you anywhere, which is exactly where that guy wants you to be.
>>
>>36702178
That logic would apply if people actually quit the gym after they get fit, which is obviously retarded and doesn't happen unless you like your hard work going to shit.
>>
File: shutterstock_72572299.jpg (680 KB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
shutterstock_72572299.jpg
680 KB, 1000x1000
>>36702229
Sneaky elders
>>
>should I trust dyels on a Japanese noodle recipe forum
>should I trust a proven success

Your choice op
>>
>>36702118
The blood thing doesn't matter if you take a small rest before squatting.

When you bench your blood rushes to upper body and if you then squat in quick succession all your blood will rush to your legs.

And then you get dizzy and might faint and shit.
>>
>>36702247

They can just quit the PT but stay at the gym.

Then again that would require them to use their own brain and realize all you need to get jacked it to know how to perform 6 different excercises, while the PT keeps them busy with hundreds of variations of useless shit.
>>
>>36702278
He said it won't give me as many gains, is the situation.
>>
OP here. Anyone else here dislike pullups? I thought they were pretty great on shoulder and upper back day...
>>
>>36702342

Are you fuking serious mate? How else you gon train your upper back?
In case you didn't get it: Don't listen to that old fool, he is full of shit.

Do the 6 main compound excercises somewhere between 3 to 8 reps with adequate weight per set. Add some isolation excercises if you feel the need.
Free weight is usually better because if gives you a more natural range of motion and activates more different muscle groups.
>>
>>36702295
Well that sounds like bullshit to me.

All it has ever done for me was nausea and dizziness.

Which you could interpret as not making as good gains as possible since you can't do the exercise properly. But now we're really beating around the bush...
>>
>>36702342
Fucker probably wants to get your money and hinder your progress so you won't threaten his records.
>>
>>36702367
He said it like the lack of blood in one area will literally inhibit muscular strength development.
>>
>>36702118
>said barbell shouldn't go below the shoulders when i do OHP because it'll give me arthritic shoulders
>barbell below shoulders doing OHP
How the fuck
>>
File: Raisins win again.png (246 KB, 415x295) Image search: [Google]
Raisins win again.png
246 KB, 415x295
>"So I told this young man at my gym to perform these lifts and he actually did it the absolute madman!"
>>
>>36702390
That's some next level brosciense bullshit.

When you work out different body parts the blood goes where its needed.

When you train chest more blood goes there to deliver the oxygen/other shit needed. And then when you train legs the same thing happens there.

The only thing that could happen would be the dizziness i mentioned beforehand since there won't be enough blood for the brains for a short while. And this only happens if you go squatting heavy weight immediately after doing bench with heavy weight.

This won't happen if you rest and breathe properly.

In short he's bullshitting you.
>>
>This is a test
>he wants to pass on his secret techniques
>no one has passed yet

You failed by not calling him on his bullshit.
He is disappointed in you.
>>
>>36702412
I mean like level with the shoulders. He says no lower than the chin.
Look, guys you wouldn't believe me if I told you that this guy was 67. He's still fit, happy, and mentally young. That's how I wanna be when I'm 67 for God's sake!
Plus, he has 5 WORLD RECORDS for a bench press. How many of you have a world record? Or won second place? Honorable mention? Even competed before.
I kind of trust him.
>>
>>36702480
>5 world records

So what's his name then?
>>
>>36702508
seconding this

give us a name or fuck off you shitposter
>>
>>36702272
>Ptolemy was a famous mathematician
>...Did some loser just disagree with his theory the sun revolves around the Earth? Disregard their opinion, they're clearly not as experienced.
>>
>>36702529
Aziz Ansari
>>
>>36702558

Sounds like some turkroach name. Obviously this guy must be full of shit.
>>
>>36702586
Smh a quick Google search would have saved you the embarrassment you fucking retard.
>>
>>36702596

>getting embarassed on a chinese child molester board

get a load of this faget
>>
>>36702229
Kek
>>
File: world_record.jpg (627 KB, 2100x2295) Image search: [Google]
world_record.jpg
627 KB, 2100x2295
>mfw 5 times world record holder
>>
>>36702558
>>36702660

lel that guy looks like the only record he holds is massive sandnigger faggotry
>>
Lifting records can be so fucking dumb. There should be a single world record and it should be the heaviest lift. Fucking manlets need to stop calling their baby weight lifts "world records" when it's literally less than half of the true record.

Fucking when will they lern
>>
>>36702118
let me you bout steroids.

if you take enough gear, eat enough and train hard, you will get big even if your programming is shit, or you do shitty exercises with bad form.

source: pumping iron. I am pretty sure tha no one in the entire movie uses full ROM.
>>
>>36702118
What records?

There are faggots with 400 deadlifts saying they hold world records because they have record in the 220 lb class of 35-40 year old firefighters with wraps, in a federation nobody has heard of or gives a shit about, and has like 13 people in it.
>>
>>36702914
A lot of time your a full rom has a point where the tension shifts from muscles to joints and bones. BBers try to keep their entire set under tension, hence not full roms

Never seen the movie though so I'm just speculating
>>
>>36702753

So you're saying weight classes shouldn't be a thing? Why?
>>
Arnold Schwarzenegger did it pull ups between bench.

Who do you trust? Senile old man or Arnold?
>>
>>36702118
>its bad to squat and bench on same day
hmmm possibly if you get really heavy, but if you are a beginner probably not
>barbell shouldnt go below shoulders when OHP
less hypertrophy in the long run but possibly some merit to this
>pullups are bad, never do them
again possibly, people often have shit form and kip and it can be really bad for your shoulders if you go for strait volume with poor form
>tells me to stop locking out
true

Most of what he says is possibly true but mostly under the circumstance of you having shit form

3x20 isolations for machines doesnt sound right desu because they wont train any stabilizer muscles, also as you said it will take way longer vs freeweights.

Its possible that what he is saying can get you the results you desire, as there are many roads to fitness.
>>
>>36702118
>arthritic shoulder
he is right, same reason for never do pull UPS or dips.
>locking out
You will lose tension, its Bad.
>3x20
is the perfect Recovery Workout, heavy leg-day->next morning Lite 3x20 legs on the evening hard Bench
>>
>>36702426
kek
>>
File: 1211tourist22.jpg (75 KB, 640x300) Image search: [Google]
1211tourist22.jpg
75 KB, 640x300
>>36702558
I didn't know this guy hold 5 benching records. Crazy.
>>
>>36702753
Fuck off fatty

Shw is disgusting, kys
>>
>>36702390
>He said it like the lack of blood in one area will literally inhibit muscular strength development.

KEK

arteries and veins shift the blood over from rest and digest to fight or flee.

also

compound exercise(s) release more anabolic hormones into the body @ higher intensity (closer to 1RM) and lower repetition (3-5).
Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.