[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
QTDDTOT:
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 31
File: 385010.jpg (67 KB, 750x614) Image search: [Google]
385010.jpg
67 KB, 750x614
Old one hit cap.
My question: why is it that intermediate routines are either strength or hypertrophy orientated. Is there no program which focuses on both strength and hypertrophy?
>>
How do I quick scope?
>>
I started as 105 kg(188 cm tall) fatty went 80 kg skinny fat af bulked to 92 kg now again cutting currently 87 kg not looking much different. My lifts got stronger but the muscle gains are barely noticeable. I just want to lose my fat and get abs for once. Can I do that somehow without going lower than 80 kg and before like august?
Should I have just ate at maintence calories? Is cut/bulk a meme?
>>
I've started doing Lee Haywards 12 week program. I'm concerned i'm going to loosing muscle mass, If anybody has also done LH12 did you loose mass or did you gain?
>>
File: 1446101552080.jpg (48 KB, 810x714) Image search: [Google]
1446101552080.jpg
48 KB, 810x714
How do I get a boyfriend?
>>
I want to start skipping to lose weight (skinny arms and legs but got bit if a gut now). Any tips? Like type of skipping rope or routine? I was just going to do high intensity skipping for 1 minute, take 10 sec break and then co tinue like that for 30 mins.
>>
>>36675517
right click left click, 3
>>
File: rivalus powderburn.jpg (499 KB, 1600x1982) Image search: [Google]
rivalus powderburn.jpg
499 KB, 1600x1982
What preworkout supplements do you guys recommend? I've been using this and like it, but I was thinking of trying something new now that I'm running out.
>>
>>36676399
In all honesty you should make your own based on your goals. I take a half scoop of rich pianasa 51/50 plus some beta alanine and creatine.
>>
I pulled mygroin muscle about 2 years ago, and it still hasn't healed. My pt told me that nothing is wrong with it and that it just needs to be strengthened through stretching. Well no matter how i stretch it, i feel like I'm pulling it again and it ends up inflammed. Am i doomed?
>>
>>36676416
I got kill it and its solid too

Didnt know about beta alanine making you feel nauseous so it was interesting
>>
>>36676432
>beta alanine making you feel nauseous
It makes you feel sick in your stomach?
>>
>>36676458
Made me want to vomit

Like dry heave
>>
21s on everything y/n?
>>
>>36676484
Were you on an empty stomach? If you havent eaten in a very long time and take a strong pre workout it will def fuck you up a bit.
>>
>>36676504
Nope

IIt lasted for a while but now i dont grt the feeling because ive built a tolerance
>>
>>36676519
Ah i see
>>
How can I strengthen my calves for squats? I've been working out for 2 months, and since I've hit a 200lb squat my knees shake relentlessly. Also, is there any excersise I can use to replace pendlay rows? For some reason, I absolutely hate them.
>>
>>36675490

You can't really optimize for both at the same time. The point of being intermediate is that your noob gains are done, and so you are squeezing ever shrinking marginal gains from your body. This is why block periodization is a thing. You will get strength gains on a hypertrophy program, and you will get hypertrophy on most strength programs, but as you progress that margin will close quickly.

Volume block periodization is probably what you are looking for: something with alternating volume and intensity. Cube for Strongman approximates this, as does some of the gczl method.
>>
>>36675490

There is!

Candito's strength/hypertrophy routine or P.H.U.L.

They're both pretty similar but I prefer phul right now because it involves more bodybuilding and shoulder stuff. Candito's is more powerlifting oriented, and better for improving on the main 3 lifts
>>
All of the calculators and comparisons I've used suggest my body fat percentage is about 27%. At the very most, you could argue I was 30%, but that's a very high estimate. Which puts my LBM at about 144 lbs. But Scooby's calculator tells me my max lean body mass is probably 148.

Is Scoobs calculator wrong, did I measure my BF incorrectly, or am I really reaching natty limit?

It doesn't really seem like I'm getting **that** muscular. And 4 lbs of muscle doesn't seem that much to me.
>>
starting running for the first time in a long while yesterday. Record mile time for me was 6:29 a few years ago. Got 7:30 yesterday, went this morning and managed like 8:10 (roughly). Why would my time go up? Eating something different before the run? The first time I ate some eggs before hand..second time i had an apple with some peanut butter. Anyway I was super sore from lifting the day before could that be related?
>>
>>36676645
Yes you are not conditioned yet.
>>
>>36676645
Yo cant compare only 2 instances to get an idea of where you stand. Track your next 8 times and re evaluate.
>>
>>36676431
Pls respond.
>>
>>36675993
have you read the sticky?
>>
>>36676431
>>36676691
>pt
Physical trainer? I dont know how you fucking people havent figured this out, physical trainers are fucking morons!!! They dont know shit and you shouldnt put any stock in what they have to say. Go to a fucking doctor and get an xray or mri or some shit.
>>
I want to lower my bf% but am already underweight.

Now, I don't want to bulk at that point and then cut but rather (if possible) cut the bf% and add mass simultaneously.

My initial thought was doing a low fat diet at a small surplus and doing hiit 2-4 times a week while simultaneously doing the split im doing now lifting-wise.

What's y'all's experience with that kind of thing?
>>
>>36676687
>>36676677
thanks. will do.
>>
>>36676731
I meant physical therapist
>>
>>36675990
Learn how to do this
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=7x15tVCrxXc
>>
>>36676802
Well fuck him too, go to a doctors office and get that shit checked out for real. Dont take no for an answer tell em that shit hurts.
>>
>>36676529
mountain climbers will absolutely burn your calves.
also i think close grip chinups work the same muscles as pendlay rows
>>
>>36675490
Can i get away with a 2 day full body a week workout?

Main lifts: Squats, Deads, and Bench
Accessories: Arms, Shoulders, Abs, and Back(pull ups)

Its AxxAxxx

Is this viable?
>>
>>36675990
Pretend you're a girl.
>>
>>36676829
Idk i got an xray on my knee (pain originates on the medial side and rises as i stretch deeper) and the doctor said there was no soft tissue damage. Idk what to do.
>>
>>36676983
So what did he say when you told him theres still pain though? Did he say its all in your head or something? Maybe try a new doctor. The bottom line is if you have been in pain for 2 years than there is clearly something wrong.
>>
File: undisputed facts.png (156 KB, 1024x1097) Image search: [Google]
undisputed facts.png
156 KB, 1024x1097
Ok /fit/

How do get real, lasting calf-gains?
>>
>>36676996
Well they just told me that their only goal was to get me functional enough to do everyday tasks and work, and that since the pain only occurs when i stretch, that they can't do much more for me. I wouldn't have a problem with this, but i want to learn martial arts and this will obviously prevent me from really doing anything.
>>
>>36677100
>they just told me that their only goal was to get me functional
Mate you need to find a new doctor cause that sounds fishy as hell
>>
What can I excercise while sitting in the office?
>>
when should i start wearing a belt for deadlifts? i'm thinking 2pl8?
>>
>>36677129
when it feels like your insides are being pushed out
>>
>>36677045
>browse /fit/
>develop Aspergers
>walk on your toes like the aspies do
>get monster calves
>>
>>36677115
Not really. They are just regular physical therapists. Most of the people that go there are either senior citizens or people injured on the job. Their main focus is just to back to being mobile and productive. If they can get you back to athletics it's great. But after a certain point you are just told to accept it. If this was a sports clinic then i would expect much more, but i am definitely not expecting these people to do that kind of job.
>>
>>36677129
>i'm thinking 2pl8
Mate i DL 4 pl8 and ive never worn one. I think instead of a weight lifted its better to go off of feel plus weight lifting in relation to body weight. If you only weigh 100lbs then 2 PL belt is appropriate.
>>36677190
Well dude fuck them then, they clearly arent what you need. Move on.
>>
>>36677204
I can't that's where my insurance sends me (Kaiser permante), and i am way too in debt to afford paying on my own somewhere else. I tried solving this problem myself by researching on the internet but that didn't work either. Fuck it i give up.
>>
>>36675490
Chinups or pullups?
>>
>ask coworker out via email
>doesn't reply
brehs, what do?
>>
>>36676853
in the beginning yes, actually I know it has probably already been mentioned in this thread but look at Cube routine. Its main 3 lifts are bench, squat and DL but you change up the volume and intensity, 3 days of this and then a 4th day of whatever... give it a look.
>>
>>36677352
Try asking on MySpace next.
>>
>>36677352
Should have asked her out in person, you look like a little bitch to her now and probably ruined your chances... be a man, be bold.
>>
>>36677399
>>36677399
>and probably ruined your chances..
are you suggesting i could have a chance in the future?

didn't ask her out in person because i never see her in person anymore, different schedules
>>
File: diddlylift.jpg (57 KB, 672x372) Image search: [Google]
diddlylift.jpg
57 KB, 672x372
I see some people get wobbly legs doing deadlifts. This is happens to me when I'm going heavy, except it's only in my right leg. It's not painful. Is this something I can fix or should be concerned about?

Pic unrelated
>>
>>36675490
What are PHAT & PHUL
>>
Is it normal for my knees to wobble when doing squats? They dont hurt or anything, but im wondering if this needs to be corrected
>>
>>36676618
Anyone? Have I almost reached my natty limit or is my calculations incorrect?
>>
Beginner on SS here, I'm super nervous about my form i'm trying to nail it down

For example my squat I can't seem to get in the proper "wrist straight, elbows up, below the spine of the scapula" that ripptoe talks about

I either
A. Get the bar in the correct position but have my wrist bent
B. Get my wrist straight but have the bar too high

My shoulder joint hurts like a bitch when I try to force both
>>
One of my wrists hurt after I bench or OHP. I thought it could've been related to bad form but its only the left wrist, the right one feels fine. Is my wrist weak or something? How can I strengthen it?
>>
Anyone tried the "potato diet" thing? Basically you only eat potatoes for 3-5 days with minimal fat added. Like a TBS or less per lbs of potato. People are saying they lose .5 to 1 lbs per day without feeling bad. Obviously not a long term diet, just wondering if its as good for a short jumpstarter when a cut has stalled.
>>
>>36677658
If you eat less than your TDEE you will lose weight, if you eat more than your TDEE you will gain weight
>>
>>36677624
>squat
>wrist placement issues
This sounds like a back squat, but who worries about wrist placement in a back squat
>>
>>36677624
Google shoulder mobility for squats. Youll find link related and other things to help.

http://www.muscleforlife.com/how-to-improve-shoulder-flexibility-and-mobility/
>>
>>36677681
It's a lowbar backsquat and ripptoe says I need a straight wrist or I could develop elbow/wrist problems
>>
File: images.jpg (4 KB, 181x124) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
4 KB, 181x124
>>36677677
Thank you for stating the obvious and not addressing my question.
>>
>>36677383
Unfortunately
I cant do three days of lifting .in three days i work 48 hours and then the other 4 days i work 8-9 hours
So within those 4 days i have enough rest time for 2 full bodies
I want to hit muscles twice a week but for 3'4 hours on those 2 days

Ill see how it goes and report back
Im bulking btw
>>
Protein sparing modified fast and/or Lyle McDonald's rapid fat loss, anyone have success stories with either of these?
>>
>>36677704
your hands/wrists are there on the bar just to support it, not to push it up. so if you're applying weight on your hands, you're not doing the squat right. i'm doing 315 for reps (i know not a lot) and i've never even noticed my wrist placements, just do what's 'natural' and never had pain/issues
>>
>>36677700
Thank you i'll look into it

As for a complete newbie who wants to throw in accessories to ss to strengthen the back to assist in the core lifts, what kind of exercises can I throw in there?

Lat pull downs? Pullups?
>>
>>36677708
Fad diets are unhealthy and it's much better to just eat below you tdee
>>
>>36676618
This is bait, but there is more than just fat and muscle on the scale dumbass
>>
How many calories and protien is in 5.5 ounces of boneless, skinless chicken breast?

google is giving me conflicting answers
>>
>>36678007
Well I'm not saying I have 144 lbs of muscle. I'm saying that my Lean Body Mass is 144 lbs based on multiple from electronic scales to the Navy Body Fat calculator to calipers. And this is over a weeks worth of measurements so it's not bloating or anything

Scooby's calculator predicts my natty limit is 148 lbs of Lean Body Mass.

I'm asking whether or not I've reached my natty limit or if there's an explanation of why scooby predicts I can only grow 4 lbs of LBM more, when I don't feel as though I've progressed that much.
>>
>>36678062
about 35 protons and 196 calories.
>>
>>36678111
Thank you.
>>
Curious I'm 19 and new to lifting and have been counting calories for 2 weeks now that I have money and a job

Growing up my family was poor as fuck and I obviously wasnt getting nearly enough food, food I was getting wasn't any good either

I'm 188cm, if I had a better diet/lifestyle growing up would that mean I could have grown taller?
>>
How do I get them awesome glutez while on SL?
>>
>>36678201
Stop asking what could have been and ask what can be.
>>
>>36677120
Anyone?
>>
>>36676768
it's possible but not at all easy, it's how I gained mass (10kg of muscle in 4 months), just mad mad protein, creatine is imperitive too
>>
Is it O.K. for me to cut if I still want to build strength?

I'm 5'9 170 been lifting for about five months now. I'm starting to get some gains in upper body and arms but I'm still really fat in the stomach and face. Only benching 115 too which seems low after five months, but I started at 55.

I really want to lower my BF % but my goal is to bench 2 plates. How fucked would I be if I start cutting?
>>
>>36678201
Height is mostly hereditary.
>>
My friends that fuck aroudn in the gym always tell me I'm not going low enough on my bench press, and i should be touching the bar to my chest.

The problem is, being a lanklet, my arms go to about a 15 degree angle if i lower the bar to my chest. I watched some videos and read that proper bench form means going slightly below a 90 degree angle.

What should i be doing?
>>
File: image.jpg (142 KB, 750x1334) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
142 KB, 750x1334
>>36675490
I went to the beach today and a girl I was supposed to go to lunch with came up and apologized for missing it and said we should go sometime later this week or next. I wasn't wearing a shirt like pic related, do I look like I workout?
>>
>>36678339
you'd lose some strength for sure, around 5-10%

I cut every 2 months because I hate being above 15% body fat, but eat mad high volumes of food in the 2 months I'm bulking for fast gains
>>
>>36678398

you look like a faggot who wears basketball shorts at the beach you fucking degenerate
>>
>>36676431
say you want to squat again. do 3 sets of 25 with just the bar with perfect form. the next day, do 45 lbs, 45 lbs, 50 lbs. the following day 45, 50, 55. and so on every day, adding weight in that manner with lots of ice and stretching. power through any rehab pain, but be mindful of re injury. when it gets heavy again, switch to sets of ten, then 5 and you should be pretty well there. i took this from the starting strength wiki page on injuries. I hurt a hip flexor a while ago and while I didn't do this whole protocol, it helped get me back on my feet a little.
>>
>>36678433
Ok, thanks.

I didn't know if I'd be able to get away with it since I'm just starting and the weight I'm doing is relatively low for how long I've been working out. But I started at rock bottom and don't eat the best so meh.

Thanks for the help. I think I'm still going to go through with it because I look like shit.
>>
>>36678447
It was all I had in the car
>>
File: spahgetti.png (181 KB, 229x336) Image search: [Google]
spahgetti.png
181 KB, 229x336
So if I'm doing cardio on a cut do I just eat to make up the calories I ran? If I don't wont I start to lose muscles?
>>
>>36678476
remember to eat fuck loads of protein and I definitely recommend creatine, it literally doubled the amount of time I could spend per workout session at the gym
>>
File: 1428298212966.png (22 KB, 511x511) Image search: [Google]
1428298212966.png
22 KB, 511x511
>>36678221
pls respond...
>>
>>36678499
pretty much but protein is equally important
>>
>>36678389
P-pls respond
>>
>>36678532
what's SL?
>>
>>36678509
Another stupid question because I'm sure I'm not getting enough protein.

What would be better, taking two separate shakes a day or just two scoops in my regular shake after my workout? Would it even matter?
>>
>>36678542
>>36678576
>>
>>36678583
protein is better absorbed when ingested periodically, it's hard to absorb more than 30g of protein in 1 meal, but as long as your shake isn't crazy high in protein, I'd take it after
>>
>>36678583
Rule of thumb is that there is little to no benefit to taking in more than 30 grams at a time. So spread it out.
>>
>>36678576
>>36678591
You responded to the wrong person twice.
>>
>>36678576
Strong Lifts 5x5.
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=StrongLifts+5x5
>>
>>36678627
i'm a right mess tonight aren't I senpai
>>36678639
I googled SL and fuck all came up haha, but the rule for mass>strength is proper muscle breakdown, so not necessarily lifting the heaviest weights, but lifting heavy weights with absolute form, and not straightening joints giving you rest, to ensure the muscles are under as much tension as possible, as well as obvs eating a massive surplus in carbs and protein
>>
File: image.jpg (186 KB, 1280x960) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
186 KB, 1280x960
How do I gain muscle in this area? I do push-ups for chest and lay down on the floor and push Dumbbells up, similar to benching.
>>
if i get woken up during my 8 hour sleep, 4 hours into it and then get 4 more hours of sleep feeling refreshed waking up, am i fucking up my gains?
>>
>>36678738
Short answer is yes
>>
>>36678737
bench press

do SS + GOMAD
4 scoops of weight gainer 2-3 times a day every day
>>
>>36678738
>>36678759
shorter answer

no
>>
>>36678389

Can someone help me out with this?
>>
>Want to do free weights at the gym
>Not sure what sets I should do
>Not sure I'm doing them right
>Too autistic to ask for help/advice from anyone there

What do?
>>
File: 1459956457155.jpg (43 KB, 687x476) Image search: [Google]
1459956457155.jpg
43 KB, 687x476
>>36678759
>>36678780
im so confused
>>
>>36678389
Ripp says chest
>>
>>36676399
Black coffee.
>>
>>36678818
If you feel refreshed and well rested you are fine. 8 hours a night is a relatively new "normal" thanks to electricity and the effects of artificial light on our hormones. There is little reason to be concerned if you are not feeling tired.
>>
>>36678818
>>36678911
Incorrect. You are getting your sleep 4+4 however it is not consecutive therefore you are losing on your gains.
>>
>>36678799
Read sticky.
>>
>>36678920
Incorrect, the 8 hours straight is a byproduct of technology that everyone uses daily. Therefore is generally accepted as normal in spite of the fact that lots of evidence shows its unnecessary to sleep that long at one time.
>>
newfag who's been on SS for 4 months

Lately i've felt that the standard routine was not enough and have increased the amount of sets from 3 to 5

is this a good idea?
>>
>>36679002
idk about that

you do just increase the weight every week right?
>>
>>36679030
Yes, I increase the weight by 5 pounds after I complete all sets successfully.
>>
>>36679059
Then you're doing fine. No reason to up it to 5.

What are your current stats?
>>
>>36679076

SQ - 165lbs
BP - 130lbs
DL - 240lbs
>>
>>36679151
Are you including the bar? Because if not, no fucking wonder you're not getting tired. Those squat and bench stats should've been reached by the end of the second month.
>>
>>36679183
*If you are including the bar, they're bad. Typo
>>
>>36679183
>>36679199

so move back to 3, just add more weight then?
>>
>>36679248
Yes, for god's sake. 165 after 4 months? I was doing 145 before my first month was over. That is really bad progression bro.
>>
>>36677708
Shouldn't have asked such a retarded question.

A potato diet? Really?
>>
>>36679280
he might have started at a really low weight
>>
>>36678398
I'd say it looks like you workout, yes.
>>
>>36679280

one last question and sorry its a newfag question

Im supposed to be feeling sore right? When i was doing 3 sets I would feel fine with little to no soreness the day after the workout, even if i was barely able to do the 5 reps.
>>
I'm recently tired and unmotivated as fuck and thirsty all the time, and my head hurts.

It's especially bad when I wake up, my throat burns because it's so dry, my head is pounding like I've drank a litre of hard liquor last night, and my body feels heavy that it takes all my will to even get up.

And it been like that every day for a while.

What is this?
>>
is the confuse your muscles thing legit? should i be doing it?
>>
>>36679372
no you dont necessarily have to be sore to know you got a good workout. once youve been lifting for a while your body shouldnt get sore easy
>>
>Reebok Crossfit Lifter Plus 2.0 for $99 CAD
or
>Adidas Adipower for $140 CAD
The Reeboks are the best price I've ever seen for lifting shoes, but for $40 more I can have /the/ lifting shoe, and not have to replace them for years
>>
Left front delt makes a clicking noise when I raise my arm, like a salute. If I hold my hand over the muscle when I do this motion it feels like someone is strumming a guitar almost, how can I fix this?
>>
>>36679750
massage infraspinatus

>>36679732
Adidas only if you have narrow feet.

>>36679579
Sort of. People get bored doing the same shit all the time. It's good to switch things up once in a while.
>>
>>36679390
Depression. Keto induction. Dehydration. Diabetes. Cancer. Flu. Overtraining.

Could be any of those or more. Take a week off lifting, eat big and drink a lot of water. If that doesn't help, see an MD.
>>
>>36679613
>Sort of. People get bored doing the same shit all the time. It's good to switch things up once in a while.
so it doesnt have any actual effect on my muscle growth then?
>>
>>36678389
Touch your chest. At the bottom your upper arms should be around 45 degrees to the side and your forearms should be vertical.
>>
>>36678221
Make sure your glutes are working. Do the Cook hip lift to activate them. Do hip thrusts if squats and deads aren't helping after that.
>>
>>36677739
See Lyle's forum. Lots of examples there

>>36677630
http://www.triggerpoints.net/forearm-hand-pain
click where it hurts
match the pain with the red
massage on the X
>>
>>36677566
Weak right leg. If you're experienced, try doing single leg work to balance things out. If you're a noob, just lift.
>>
>guy working in with me on bench
>I load up 2pl8, he asks if I need a spot
>"yeah sure, thanks. I haven't done many reps of this, so I might get 2 if I'm lucky"
>do some reps, get 3 reps, but last one he helped with
>4 mins later, time for another set
>guy tells me "go for 5 this time, don't worry about me helping"
>do the 5 reps, but by the 4th rep I feel like my arms have literally no strength left and he's lifting the bar himself
>later on he starts doing 3pl8 for doubles
so is he right? is it better to do 5 reps with help than to do 2? I mean, I'm still putting my muscles under stress, right? and if this big guy is giving me advice, I should listen
>>
>>36679851
Not really.

People mistake the fast gains and soreness they get from new exercises with progress, when it's just them learning the skill of the new exercise and bringing it up to par with the other stuff.

Sometimes you do have weaknesses that aren't well-addressed by the exercises you're doing and can benefit from doing other accessory work, though.
>>
>>36679816
>infraspinatus
Why infranspinatus?
>>
>>36679905
Adequate volume and adequate weight and adequate rest are important for progress. Generally you want about 10 heavy reps total (broken up into however many sets you like) for full body exercises like the deadlift, clean and push press, 25 reps total for compound exercises like squat and bench and press; and 50 reps for single joint accessory work like curls and calf raises.

Just because someone's big doesn't mean they know what they're talking about. They definitely got something right, but they might be doing a lot that's wrong, too, and don't necessarily know how to distinguish what they did right from what they didn't.
>>
>>36679971
because that's the muscle that's almost always attached to the tendon that's doing the clicking when your shoulder clicks.
>>
Is there a nutritional difference between Splenda, Equal, and other sugar substitutes? Does one taste better than the others?
>>
>>36675990
what's your kik ;)
>>
>>36680051
Splenda is more a reduced calorie sweetener than a no calorie sweetener. The others, like stevia and aspartame and whatnot, are much sweeter per amount so they're effectively zero calorie sweeteners. They all taste like chemicals to me, though.

Most important is kcals. If your TDEE is 2500, you can eat 1500 kcals a day in pure sugar and still lose 2 lbs/wk. It won't be a particularly satisfying 1500 kcals.

Think of a diet as an opportunity to improve your food choices. Let your desserts be desserts, just eat less of them when you're cutting. You don't need to have sweet everything. You're not a child anymore.
>>
File: rogue-hi-temp-web1.jpg (201 KB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
rogue-hi-temp-web1.jpg
201 KB, 1000x1000
>>36675490
Are iron plates and bumper plates compatible?

Like, can I put a set of rubber 45s on the bar and a set of iron 25s right next to them, or will the iron plates abrade the bumpers?
>>
Is this routine good for achieving asthetics? is 3 days a week enough at the gym or would an ABxABxx be better?

Current Routine

AxBxAxx
BxAxBxx

A
Squat 3x 8-12
Bench 3 x 8-12
Chin ups 3 xf
Incline bench 3 x 8-12
Dumbbell pullovers 3 x 8-12
Calf raises 3 x 12-15
Tricep 3 x 8-12

B
Deadlift 3x5
OHP 3x 8-12
Pendlay Row 3x 8-12
Lateral raises 3x 8-12
Shrugs 3 x 12-15
Biceps 3x 8-12
>>
>>36676399
/fit/ answer, just DMAA it bro

Honest answer, take a caffeine pill with creatine and beta alanine if you wanna buy that, creatine and caffeine are cheap

It's basically exactly what's in PWO minus all the useless shit, unless you actually do wanna use DMAA in which case I can't comment as I've never used it, just don't do cardio or some shit on it or your heart will explode glhf
>>
>>36675490
that picture, the feels, i remember my first illidan kill having to ankh after everyone died so that he would die to our DoTs.
>>
>>36680187
It's fine.

The reason it's fine is because consistency is more important than the details of the program.

Don't forget that you have to eat if you want to gain muscle. And that will involve gaining a little fat. The only way around this after a couple months of training is if you use steroids.
>>
>>36680177
That's fine.
>>
File: fuckwhatthefuck.png (2 MB, 2622x624) Image search: [Google]
fuckwhatthefuck.png
2 MB, 2622x624
hey guys. started lifting a couple months ago and starting to see my biceps finally.

however as you can see my left arm is more pronounced than my right. i don't train either more and my left arm usually is the one that feels the burn earlier during lifts/workouts.

can someone tell me how to fix? :\
i alternate during the week with dumbbell and barbell bench presses.
>>
can i realistically do a novice PPL routine in a home gym if all i have is a squat rack, bench, barbell and plates? how would i do legs?
>>
>>36680323
you would do squats in the squat rack you purchased
>>
Leg press machine / Hack Squat machine , are these good exercises?

Squat area in my gym is always occupied. was wondering if these two were any good for beginners
>>
>>36676431
Your PT is right. Your muscle has healed completely but it has become really tight and weak due to not using it for a long time, and that's what you are feeling now. The time for rest is long over, now it's time to get the muscle back into buisiness again. It's a necessary part of the recovery process. Of course you feel like you'll pull it again when you stretch, that's how stretching works, that's how it makes you more flexible.
>>
>>36680304
Start fapping with the other hand.
>>
What do you guys think about doing 3x10 squats with 70% of my 5rm?
>>
>>36680666
excellent trips

i fap with the other hand actually!!

is it because of mixed grip deadlift?
>>
>>36680755
Is your biggest arm the one you use for underhand?
>>
>>36680772
yeah my left is has the palm facing outward.

should i switch hands each rep?
>>
>>36680811
Just by the way the arm works, the flexor muscles might be doing some accesory job. Switching may do some good for that imbalance. Also you should try to work arms with dumbells instead of a barbell to force both to work equally imho
>>
>>36680842
for sure, sounds good. should i do one handed db presses? or it doesn't matter just use dumbbells more often?
>>
>>36680852
As long as you work BOTH arms, it is fine. The point is not to turn the imbalance around.
>>
i did russian leg curls for the first time a week ago.
as soon as i got up, i had trouble standing, it was like i was almost cramping.
i did them again today. still get that feeling.
none of the pain is in the hamstrings though
its all in my calves.
when i stretch my hamstrings i feel it mostly in my calves too.
i feel nothing when stretching calves though

what the fuck is wrong with my anatomy?
why do i feel like my hamstrings are in my calves?
why cant i stretch my calves?

side note, im unsure of how strong the muscles of my leg are in comparison to each other. it seems my quads are stronger than my hamstrings, but when i stretch quads, i have a ton of flexibility and i cannot stretch them by standard means. my hamstrings are weak, but they need the most stretching, because i can see how i get butt wink really early during squats. my calves are also fuckhueg. even as a fatty my calves are like .75x the size of my thighs.
>>
File: 13FLEX_kai_profile_1[1].jpg (137 KB, 612x918) Image search: [Google]
13FLEX_kai_profile_1[1].jpg
137 KB, 612x918
>>36680878
its interesting because if i flex with my hands down (pic related) my arms and biceps look identical

it's only when i flex like the pic above that my left bicep seems more define.

but i really appreciate the advice, thanks again!
>>
Yeah it's fine
Lifting 1.5yrs, injured back and can't squat.
I do leg press instead 3x10 and just add weight each session to keep size and strength
>>36680716
For what purpose? If you can hit it why not I guess. Make sure it's still tiring enough
>>
I've been thinking of switching to a milk alternative, almond and the like.

I'm not lactose intolerant or anything, but if these alternatives have different macros it's worth it.

Anyone done the same thing? Or have some nutritional know how.
>>
>>36681102
i stopped drinking milk in general. its chill
>>
File: yablewit.jpg (5 KB, 260x194) Image search: [Google]
yablewit.jpg
5 KB, 260x194
Well I can't fall asleep. If I only get like 4 hours of sleep will I lose all my gains from today?
>>
>>36680503
They're fine.

Ask if you can work in when someone's using equipment you want to use. Look for someone near the amount of weight you plan to use.
>>
>>36680891
That's normal. Your calves also flex your knees. You just notice it more with how your feet were anchored in that exercise.
>>
>>36681185
One night of insomnia won't kill you.
>>
>>36681185
I've got insomnia on and off and I've still been able to make gains in the past where I've had little sleep. Obviously not great gains, and I do MUCH better when I sleep a full 8 hours, but it's not like my workouts were totally pointless.

Just try to focus more on letting your body rest than actually sleeping if you're having trouble getting to sleep.
>>
Is it true that if you start working out your arms alone, like having an arm day, they will lose their definition?
>>
>>36681102
What are your goals? Where do you live
Different countries have different milk regulations with hormones and the like. The best being in Canada, worst in Mexico/Brazil?
USA in between
Cutting? Almond is fine. Bulking? Whole milk/2%
Almond milk is simply not calorie dense at all
Also
>>36681083
Meant for
>>36680503

>>36681353
Fun fact, soleus is more prominent in the calf group when the knee is bent than the gastrocnemeus which dominates during full extension

>>36681422
No. But an arms day is I'll advised. Better to group it with a larger muscle such as triceps at the end of your workout on the same day as chest/shoulders
And back/biceps
More than 5 sets of working out a body part is simply unnecessary
>>
>>36681442
>Better to group it with a larger muscle such as triceps at the end of your workout on the same day as chest/shoulders
>And back/biceps
That's my plan.
>>
can I get /fit/ on meat and mushrooms?
>>
>>36681455
If you're looking for size this is has been working for me
PPL
Push
>bench 3x5
>ohp 3x5
>chest accessory 3x10 (flies pec deck etc)
>shoulder accessory 4x10 (ie lateral raises)
>triceps 4x10 (pullovers, rope, close grip etc)
Pull
>w8ed chins/Pullups 3x5
>Shrugs 3x12+ (db or bb)
>rows 3x10 (I like db, reset each rep)
>face pulls 3x10 (don't neglect ur fucking rear delts)
>then some curls and forearms if you have the time (I like ez bar curls, and str8 bar behind the back supination, and over a bench for pronation)
Legs
>sqwatz 3x5
>diddies 2x5
>calves 3x15
>abs w.e the fuck you want

On anything 3x5 follow ss method of progression, ie if you complete all 3 sets fully then add weight next session. If you fail 3 sessions in a row deload 10% and work your way back up.
Happy lifting
>>36681513
Yes
>>
someone here squats to a daily max every day?

will it fuck my shit up or bring huge gains?
>>
>>36681541
>Yes
Should I take supps or let my body figure out how to photosynthesize for nutrients??
>>
>>36681556

It'll bring big gains if it doesn't fuck your shit up.

But a lot of the gains will be very specific to the squat you're doing.
>>
File: 1444436191844.jpg (447 KB, 2048x1022) Image search: [Google]
1444436191844.jpg
447 KB, 2048x1022
Former fat here
How do you know when to start bulking? When you reach a certain BMI or body fat percentage?
>>
>>36681556
Reword question?
Someone adds weight to their squat every day linearly?
>>36681577
Supplements are mostly as the name says, supplementary. Food rest sleep and going hard is primarily what you'll be looking for
But it'll help a bit, creatine for example. Bcaa's could help pre workout as they don't need to be digested in the same way as regular proteins and get used much quicker
I've heard people use L arginine as pre workout but I've never looked into it
For cutting, ephedrine, yohimbine, DNP are all great. Don't fuck with DNP though until you have some knowledge
Clenbuterol isn't worth the sides
Also in regards to creatine, don't take it if you suspect you have male pattern baldness in your genetic makeup
>>
>>36681600
Eyeball it
When you feel satisfied and wanna start gaining more mass give it a go
There's no magic number
Although it's always easier the leaner you are as you can bulk longer without worrying about getting fat again for a while
Also bf%>bmi
>>
Why do I have the runs??

Haven't had any outside food besides some thai place that has never gave me any problems.

I also stop taking my multivitamin less than 3 days before it began.

What could be the reason? Anybody get off a multivitamin to have your body react weird?
>>
>>36681631
Too vague to tell
It isn't a big deal just get some immodium
>>
I've been away for a bit. What's all this I hear about creatine making you lose your hair/
I've already got pretty shitty hair (23 yrs old). What do I need to avoid to keep what I have left?
>>
I'm trying to move to ATG squatting while keeping my elbows down but for some reason the only real difference I'm feeling is in my calves

Is this supposed to happen? Is it necessary to have my elbows down in order to keep my torso more vertical even though it seems harder to do?
>>
File: poop.jpg (709 KB, 3952x1042) Image search: [Google]
poop.jpg
709 KB, 3952x1042
back again with a picture of my current progress since late january

i'm a bit worried i'm not losing enough body fat% as a i go down in lbs? i started high 28%-29% now i think i'm around 25%-27% after losing 10 lbs.

hoping to be around 12% when i get to my goal weight of 145 lbs. i am eating a lot of chicken and veggies.

i was wondering if any of you had suggestions or input. thanks.
>>
File: EZ-Curls-Upright-Rows.jpg (31 KB, 439x351) Image search: [Google]
EZ-Curls-Upright-Rows.jpg
31 KB, 439x351
are upright rows bad for you if done with a curl bar, narrow grip, and bar brought only up to nipples?
>>
>>36681700

Maybe. Maybe not. They're more likely to be bad for you than a lot of exercises, but human anatomy is kind of variable. some people can do shit for decades with no issues while some other poor bastard gets joint pain just watching them do it.
>>
>>36681689
do more cardio
>>
sticky says no stretching before lifting
common advice i hear is to stretch lats before ohp
what do?
>>
>>36681713
should i keep doing them if i dont feel pain?
if i dont feel pain, is there a way i can know if i have an injury?
>>
I'm cutting, deficit of about 400 calories.

Lost like 3 lbs in 5 weeks which isn't as much as I'd have liked but I look leaner even though for 2 weeks I've been the same weight. Also my lifts are going up and I'm pretty sure some of my muscles look bigger.

What is this? Cutting but gaining size and strength? How?
>>
If I'm doing SL 5x5, should I do my accessories 5x5 as well?
>>
New here, but I see "lifting for women" as a joke. I thought it helps. My friend gets a lot of tail for having low bodyfat.
>>
>>36681802
probably hit that point where you're right where you want to be in the calories in and out window of maintenance.
>>
>>36681760
is LISS okay? i've begun to do it a lot more post-lift and on rest days.

like 45-60 min max incline and a steady pace. my goal is usually 500 Calories burned (according to treadmill).

i am interested in doing some rowing cardio though to help my back and posture. maybe stationary bike?

not too keen on running outside, to be honest though.
>>
>>36681823

This doesn't seem like a question?

Anyway girls generally like muscles on a guy but how much muscle exactly is an ongoing debate

People say that because you're not going to be able to please every women everywhere because they all have different ideas on how much muscle is attractive to them. So it's a better idea to just do what you want and lift how you like without a preconceived notion about what kind of physique girls are attracted to
>>
>>36681803
Accessory exercise isn't strictly enforced in 5x5. It's just to supplement your workout. Don't overdo them. Just add 2-3 sets would do

>>36681776
Stretching MAY *big may" affect performance. Do them light if you don't want to tear something

>>36681678
Long sustain use of creatine, may make you lose hair. Creatine is kinda useless anyway. They just store up water weight and temporary increase muscle endurance.
>>
>>36681803
Do accessories 3x8. they're there not for you to lift heavy, but to add a bit of sarcoplastic hypotrophy in isolation
>>
File: Untitled.png (3 MB, 1201x1999) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
3 MB, 1201x1999
fit I know I look like shit but I've been training for 6 (six) months on SL and need a change. I don't know if I should bulk or cut? please help. Went from 250 5'7 to 165 5'7 now.
>>
Losing 30kg this year. I'm all fat no muscle tall fucker. Some lifting and cardio.

Period A: 130 to 118kg. 1.4kg per week (current weight)
Period B: 118 to 109kg. 1kg per week
Period C: 109kg to 100kg. 0.5kg-1kg per week.

Is this slow enough to prevent my (limited amount of) muscles from disappearing completely?
>>
>>36682309
you should buy a new phone or camera
>>
>>36682395
probably, but would you say I should bulk or cut? I swapped to a ppl too because I havent been gaining strength on SL anymore
>>
What should I do if I can't deadlift the bar? I had my dad set it up on some milk crates before he left and now I can't fucking budge the thing!
>>
>>36682566
People are asking serious questions here. Stop making fun of them.
>>
>>36675490
Help me out lads!

Normally how long should my breaks between lasts? 2-3 minutes?
>>
When should I start cutting for the summer?
I'm 185cm (6'1'') and 82.5kg (182?lbs)
I was a little skinny fat before, now I'm decent with just some belly fat.
I would cut prjmarily for the abs, I would probably lose some mass in my pecs, since I had none to begin with and its been not even too months.
I'm currently eating 3000kcals, doing SL.
>>
if i do a 3day brosplit; back/bis, chest/tris, legs/ shoulders - what's stopping me from working out 6 times a week?

because by the time i've hit the 3rd day i've recovered from the first
>>
>>36682688
So am I.
>>
>top of my feet start to hurt after a couple of jumps after playing basketball
I don't notice it while I'm playing obviously but shit gets annoying when I'm back at home is there anything I can do about this besides resting?
>>
Anyone got any deadlift form webms?
>>
>>36675490
I was wondering, could you use steroids to get strength gains instead of size gains ?
>>
I'm going to a marriage counselor today for the first time. The real reason is that I got fit and confident and know that I can do much better than my angry, morbudly-obese wife. Do I actually tell the therapist this?
>>
>>36682839
Yes.
>>
>>36682972
don't you go to a counselor in order to fix your relationship?
sounds like there's no love there
>>
Should you be eating the normal amount you eat while bulking during a rest week? Eg eat 3000 k cals a day despite not working out
>>
>>36683221
Yes. Your muscles are recovering, they need the calories.
>>
>>36683221
I personally eat more on lift days than rest days. Just do what feels best to you.
>>
People talk about doing stretches before bed being good for you/helping you sleep better. Is there truth to this?
If so, what kind of stretches are they talking about?
>>
So /fit/, if you have doms (anywhere from mild to breddy bad) does it make sense to workout the same muscle group or rest?

If the doms isn't too bad is going lighter for the day good or bad? Should I optimize rest in order to heal up or would pushing the same muscle a day later be better for gains.

>inb4 SNCO telling me to fight fire with fire after PT ,
>>
Been lifting for like 7 months and my upper chest is still nonexistent. What exercises have delivered the best upper chest gains for you?
>>
I kinda want to get one of those reusable gallon jugs, but they don't look like they would wash well in a dishwasher. What do?
>>
>>36684184
Wow SEVEN WHOLE MONTHS and still no chiseled upper pecs?! That must be so frustrating!
>>
>>36675490
I did Barbell Rows to failure, as many Pullups as I can, dumbbell rows 4 sets and lat pulldowns for 3 weeks so far, once a week.

My back especially lower back is still awfully underdeveloped and I can't do DL due to pain in my lower back.

What do? How do I make progress?
>>
If I cut 2 pounds a week will I lose more muscle mass than if I cut 1 pound a week? Can I cut at 2 pounds if I get enough protein?
>>
>>36684929
6' 171 pounds. So not a whale but my bulk is starting to give me a belly
>>
how do I into fridgemode core? Heavy squats? Front squats? Leg raises? All of them together?
>>
>>36684973
nigga what exactly are you gonna cut at 170lb and 6'? your limb?
>>
>>36684741
DL doesn't hurt your back because your back is weak, it's because your form is shit
>>
File: please_boo_me.png (150 KB, 213x297) Image search: [Google]
please_boo_me.png
150 KB, 213x297
I don't have a specific question, really. I'm just wanna bitch. I'm sick and tired of bulking guys. I've been doing it since August, gained about 26 pounds, and I've still got 9 pounds left. I always feel stuffed, my cardio is shit, and my progress has been stalled for like 2 months. The last is the worst of all. I've been powering through my workouts but I dread doing it now and my heart's not in it anymore. Any advice?
>>
Which one is better for fat weakass piece of shit?
push up + bodyweight squat or push up + sit up?
>>
Is my cardio session (20-30 minutes on a stationary bike) a good way to warm my legs up for stretching?
>>
File: 1459959671595.png (167 KB, 396x385) Image search: [Google]
1459959671595.png
167 KB, 396x385
>>36676399
>inb4 black coffee fedora fags
Mr. Hyde senpai first time I took 2 scoops and wanted to rip my face off
>>
>Need to get over girl I was dating while still hoping she wants to pick things up again
>There are circumstances we've talked about which is why I can't just say "fuck off" that /fit/ would call red flags but to me she's worth it
>Says she doesn't want me to wait for her because she doesn't know when she will feel ready - maybe a month, maybe longer or maybe she will just go home after college finishes n not come back to UK
>Slept with second person in a week from tinder last night
>Feeling good, sex was pretty nice
>Girl has uploaded pics in Paris with her brother n mother, she looks happy
>Now sitting here feeling like shit

what lift or supplement will make me not such a fag?

I have really fallen for this girl. Hard.
>>
>>36685310

Why can't you do all three?
>>
>>36681678
Creatine = DHT
DHT = hair loss if prone to it
>>36681682
Not particularly. Sounds like you're not putting enough weight on your heels though if you're feeling it mostly in your calves. Are you leaving too far forward?
>>36681689
Patience is key just keep doing your thing and adjust on the way
>>36681786
I'd stop. There's simply better alternatives
>>36681776
Don't do static stretching, just warm up with the movement that you're going to do for a lower weight. If you hear to stretch latws before ohp, do a couple slow Pullups for example
>>36681802
Noob gains perhaps, it's easier to do it if you're fat as well. Also getting lean gives an illusion of size, could be that too
>>36681803
3x8-12 is typical
>>36681823
Good for him? It's a pretty shallow motivator I suppose is why it's frowned upon
>>36681837
Yeah it's fine
>>36682309
Depends on your current short/long term goals
>>36682374
If you don't have a lot in the first place it shouldn't be an issue, just eat protein and lift
>>36682566
Shit post somewhere else
>>36682713
Until you feel like you've recuperated enough to be able to complete the set with the same amount of exertion. Depending on the movement you may even want to rest up to and over 5 minutes. Listen to your body
>>36682718
>lifts for 2 months
I'd wait until next year tbaych. No bully but unless you were on gear you'll just be skelly mode and wasting time
>>36682776
Nothing, that's what I'd recommend.
>>36682786
See a doctor? Stretch after sessions perhaps
>>36682972
What purpose would this serve?
>>36683221 see
>>36683246
>>36683544
Sticky has stretches
>>36683613
Work through it, it'll subside eventually
>>36684273
Wash manually?
>>36684741
Hit your back more than once a week?
>>36684929
I'd reconsider
You're pretty much skelly mode at 171 meaning not much fat anyway. 2lb a week would likely diminish any muscle you have. Use cutting agents if you have the resources. Ec yhcl etc
>>36685031
Genetics x f
>>36685114
Stats?
>>
>>36685310
All of it
>>36685410
R u a grill
>>36685625
Only time can fix these wounds anon
>>
I started lifting 1 year ago. Did cardio before that for 6 months. Was really fat and 0 muscle. Went from like 105 kg to 80 bulked to 92 this winter for like 5 months and cutting again for summer. When will I start looking good naked? I look the same in my eye like last summer (skinnyfat) just a little bit more muscle almost unnoticeable. I did SL for more than I shouldve now some Texas method without oly lift.

Lifts are:
squat 130x5
deadlift 130x5
bench 70x5
ohp 52.5x3
row 65x5

any advice? Is progress really this slow?
>>
File: 1363439087193.gif (911 KB, 171x141) Image search: [Google]
1363439087193.gif
911 KB, 171x141
Is it possible to grow a full beard even with my shitty beard genetics?

Currently I can only grow mustache+goatee but it doesn't grow on my jawline and instead I get these whiskers on my cheeks.

pls respond
>>
I'm a skinny-fat skeleton who's been doing bodyweight for like half a year and now I'm stuck at 5 pull/chinups and 10 diamond pushups. I've visibly gotten bigger arms (they were non-existent before), yet I can't overcome this threshold.

I've only recently started paying attention to my protein intake. Could that be the cause for my lack of muscle build-up?
>>
>>36678626
>>36678620
You're wrong.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3595342/
>>
how do i get motivated to start? im poor and a walking skeleton
>>
>>36686868
Nutrition, stress, sleep problems, overtraining all can cause issues with recovery
>>36686901
Start doing something you enjoy. Sports, yoga, walking, jogging. Anything that keeps you motivated to do the same thing the next day
>>
1 month of SS. How's my progress so far?

Starting at 135, 95, 75, 45

Gained 10lbs since starting.
>>
>>36686941
Thanks for the answer, I think it's the nutrition.

Another question:
When doing chin/pullups, should you ALWAYS go back into dead hang after each rep?
>>
>>36687139
It would help if you said which exercises were what.

I'm assuming Deadlift, Squat, Bench, and OHP.

Not bad for first month, keep going.
>>
So I have terrible squat-goodmornings which actually makes sense because my deadlift is waaaay stronger than my squat. Because of this I am gonna deload immensely while adding accessory work to strengthen my quads. What is the best exercise with which to do this? Front squats? Hack squats? Leg press? (mildly afraid of leg press btw) What rep range should I do? I'm on SS so when should I do it?
>>
>>36687255
By doing bodyweight squats. The only way to fix form is with the least amount of weight possible. Watch videos to get your form right, and do them at home to practice.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 31

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.