[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Skinpicking!! - how to quit for good?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 2
File: 666666666666.jpg (51 KB, 736x529) Image search: [Google]
666666666666.jpg
51 KB, 736x529
I know they removed the "health" part from fitness, but this is the board i think i can give the best help and where i can met people who have overcome this problem.

I'm addicted to picking my skin on my fingers around the nails and my acne in the face. Its freaking gross but i cant seem to stop it, feels like a trance-like state where i will only feel good until its done. Most time i start to bleed on my fingers. I guess its anxiety related to some part but my mental health is becoming much better, quit hard drugs, started working out and got a job and social life but this problem only seems to get worse. Will appreciate any help!
>>
Therapy time
>>
next time slap yourself in the face
>>
Keep your nails filed short to minimize the damage you can do. Find another socially acceptable way to occupy your hands, like keeping a worry stone in your pocket and rubbing it instead of picking.

I have a similar issue, where I bite the inside of my cheeks and lip skin. Chewing gum really helps because it occupies the time I would otherwise spend biting.
>>
>>36673715
Addendum: take the stone out of your pocket first so that it doesn't look like you're playing with your dick.
>>
>>36673660
no more pls
>>36673690
might try that
>>36673715
thanks.. good tips. the problem with short nails is that i sometimes go apeshit crazy and bite around my nails.
>>
>>36673633

I used to have this problem too. It's an addiction. You have to force yourself the stop and the impulse will slowly fade away. There's no other solution. Meditation should help; being mindful of the automatic engagement of the habit, as well as the power to resist it, will take focus. You should also quit masturbating so that post-synaptic dopamine reuptake is kept to a minimum, helping keep the urge for please (from skin picking) lower
>>
>>36675425

for pleasure*
>>
Once you stop, your cuticles will look good again and that is motivation to keep them looking allright.

Frank Yang made a video about this.
>>
>>36673633
I saw a Simpsons episode (I think it was) where they wrapped tape around a kids fingertips to stop nail biting.

I was like 20 at the time and had been biting my nails my whole life.

I did this in addition to literally slapping myself every time I noticed I was biting my nails.

Took a few weeks but I managed to finally break it.
>>
>>36675425

when you feel the impulse, or as you start engaging in the habit, take a deep breath and remind yourself that the rewarding feeling (of skin picking) isn't worth the long term effects and that you're okay when you don't do it.
>>
>>36673633
> Little Brother picks cuticles
> Slap the shit out of his hands when he does
> Nun style
> Happens a lot
> Second nature, don't have to look
> At uni one day
> Hear tell tales signs of it
> Slap the dude whose next to me hands without thinking
> Do it quick and hard because little bro learned to move quick and I usually miss
> Feel the dude stare at me like "wtf" all class
> Sits on the other side of the room all semester
>>
>>36673633
>>36673715
>>36675425
are you all me? I have it so bad on my fingers, they are perpetually red and inflammed

I have cast iron willpower literally everywhere in life apart from here, and I don't have anxiety or anything, I'm chilled as fuck

Do I just power through it?
>>
>>36675754
My gf does that to me, I've been picking at my thumbs since I was a kid to the point they bleed but still do it
>>
This is /fit.

It used to be "health & fitness"

Now it is just "fitness"

The only mental illnesses allowed here are body dismorphia, narcisism, anorexia, drug addiction, and erectile issues.
>>
>>36676978
Don't forget and addiction to trannies.
>>
>>36673633
I'm not sure how much this will help you, but I used to bite and pick my fingers my whole life. Then, about 3-4 months ago I focused on just not biting my nails. My nails would get sorta long, and I'd rub them against my fingertips when I wanted to pick/bite them off. Then, once the got between 1/4-1/2 inches long I used a nail clipper and a file on them to make them look kinda nice. After that, I focused on not biting the skin on my fingers, and now it's been over 2 months and I don't really have any compulsion to pick my fingers anymore.

Just set a little goal and go from there I guess.
>>
>>36673660
This is actually good advice.
>>
>>36673633

hey i do this! i pick the skin around my fingernails and toenails since its always so dry and most of the time i eat it too for protein. i use lotion but that shit just always dries out and so's i picks it. my toes and fingers are usually bloody most of the time.
>>
I am terrified of cutting myself on everything

I don't want to get vascular because then my veins will be exposed

Sometimes I have a panic attack out of fear that I'll lose control and start clawing out my wrists using my fingernails
>>
I've read some good reviews for n-acetyl cysteine helping with this problem.

But Google that shit yourself.
>>
>>36673633
meditation
>>
>>36673633
This is a Body-Focused Repetitive Behavior, a impulse-control behavioral disorder. Treatment usually involves cognitive behavioral therapy. I probably spent an upwards of 2 to 3 hours a day fucking around with the skin around my nails until it is perfectly smooth. And when I say perfect you can bet your fucking ass I mean autism grade perfection. Come to think of it, I don't know why I haven't tried therapy yet.
>>
Cuticles. I hate it when they creep down the nail. I have to learn to live with it, but I can't imagine it not bugging me on some level.
>>
File: ultrafacepalm.png (14 KB, 546x566) Image search: [Google]
ultrafacepalm.png
14 KB, 546x566
>>36673633
I bite my finger nails till they bleed.
> Decided to quit after 30 years of it. Bought that nasty tasting shit. Painted fingernails.
> mfw actually worked
> Going pretty well. Mouth often tastes like this nasty horrible flavor.
> Making out with my high test mistress. She starts sucking my cock.
> Aborts a bit earlier than usual. After I come I can tell something is up.
> "hey so did you change soaps or something?"
> ohfuck.jpg
> explain to her why my dick tasted like the most ville taste ever
> mfw she broke up with me after that
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.