[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>tfw u want to become a monk and attaine enlightenment but
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 60
Thread images: 8
File: image.jpg (49 KB, 340x525) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
49 KB, 340x525
>tfw u want to become a monk and attaine enlightenment but it means u have to turn into a skeletor and lose all your gains
>tfw u realize ur gains are temporary and part of your false ego
>tfw u will probably end up going to be buff in a hellish dimension
>>
>he still doesn't know the distinction between harmful desire and wholesome desire
>he doesn't lift for the pure act of lifting itself

lel
>>
>>36672589
>implying lifting is all ego
>implying this isn't the hellish dimension
>>
We're in the hellish dimension.
That's why black people exist.
That's why I'm a manlet.
That's why I don't make a lot of money.

That's why I lift.
>>
>>36672589
I know your 19 and hallucinogens are new to you but focus on practical things and don't run away with your emotions and ideals you ultimately perceive as cool.

Why not just practice meditation on your own at home ? What do Buddhist monks have that you dont.

Go ahead and buy an orange robe off amazon if that makes you feel better but don't forget to forge good social relations and build good credit.

Glhf
>>
File: dhamma.jpg (22 KB, 200x216) Image search: [Google]
dhamma.jpg
22 KB, 200x216
We the unhating live
happily midst the haters,
among the hating humans
from hatred dwell we free.

We who are healthy live
happily midst the unhealthy,
among unhealthy humans
from ill-health dwell we free.

We the unfrenzied live
happily midst the frenzied,
among the frenzied humans
from frenzy dwell we free.

We for whom there’s nought
live indeed so happily,
joy-stained we’ll be
like resplendent gods.

Victory gives rise to hate,
those defeated lie in pain,
happily rest the Peaceful
surrendering victory and defeat.
>>
lifting makes life easier for you in the interval between birth and death

this is literally the reason i lift
>>
>>36672916
First of all I'm 21 and I've been mediating for 3 years. It will only take you so far.

Sure it will open ur third eye and maybe you'll even be able to do astral projection but the point of hear monks is that the main goal is to escape the cycle of birth and death.

You can escape it if you are attached to material things and your ego. You can't escape it if you eat a lot, escapcially if you are eating things that used to be alive.

What I was planning on doing is working out till I'm 50 then retiring to the Himalayas so I'm just gonna spend 40-50 on an intense bulk that will last me till death
>>
>>36673034
Meant to say that u can't escape it
>>
File: Shaolin.jpg (83 KB, 736x1082) Image search: [Google]
Shaolin.jpg
83 KB, 736x1082
>>36672589
What are shaolin monks?
>>
>>36672916
Also I've been taking them since I was 14..
>>
>>36673034
>You can't escape it if you eat a lot, escapcially if you are eating things that used to be alive.
what the hell are you eating? rocks?
>>
>>36673060
The perfect humans
>>
>>36673060
They are like a real jedis
>>
>>36673034
You white, by any chance?

>white people
>taking up Eastern religions
>thinking they know what they're getting into
>Literally overlooking the fact they pray to the void
>its all about becoming nothing
>Its secretly demonic and ultimately nihilistic, the West has no idea
>HURR DURR MY EMPTY STILLNESS

No, anon. Only God is the Truth, only Jesus is the way.
>>
>>36673652
>God is the Truth

Who called reddit?
>>
File: 1449605208180.png (140 KB, 381x448) Image search: [Google]
1449605208180.png
140 KB, 381x448
>>36672589

>being Spooky
>false ego

k. Great post my property.
>>
>>36673667
>tfw we're so post-ironic, reddit is now seen as theist

No, anon.
>>
>>36673652
>extinction of concepts/dualistic thinking =/= nihilism

Rumproasted ego detected
>>
>>36672589
weight lifting is very meditative imo. be a buff monk
>>
>>36673652
I'm Hindu not Buddhist u assuming cock mongler.
>>
Enlightment means deattachment, if you are attached to physical beauty then enlightment is out of your reach
>>
>>36673734
No, I think you're projecting.

Not the astral kind. The emotional, psychological kind.

And dualistic thinking is the exact opposite of extinction of concepts. I can really see you don't know what you're doing.
>>
True story I went to China in 2012 and we toured a couple Shaomin monk monasteries and we sat in this garden of theirs and since I was the only American there one of the monks made it to walk right in front of me and as he passed my face he farted really loud and started grinning
I was so mad because it smelled like rotten oranges, citrus aroma, and the fucker is looking me in the eyes like I'm the bad guy
>>
>>36673667
kek
>>
>>36673790
That's why I included both. Extinction of concepts/dualistic thinking. Do you not know what the slash means?
>>
>>36672817
I'm black and you just offended me
>>
>>36673835
I know what the slash means.

Extinction of concepts and dualism are so far apart that I wonder why you'd even put them there.

Can you elaborate what you were trying to say? Why not
>extinction of concepts/dualistic thinking/george bush sr/my little pony/casio watches =/= nihilism
They all share the same relevance. That is to say, there is none.
>>
>>36673910
Conceptual thinking and dualistic thinking are very interlinked. Dualistic categories are just concepts in binary opposition anyways. I can't believe how hard of a time you're having with this
>>
>>36673936
Jesus didn't use big words like "opposition" and he IS the only way to god now gtfo u fucking heathen
>>
>>36673851
Im human and you offend me by claiming that you are too
>>
>>36673936
>Extinction of concepts is not nihilism
That part I get, even though, errrrr, you're wrong

>dualism is not nihilism
That's what I'm struggling with. I mean, that's a given, it's the fucking antithesis to nihilism, so I don't get the inclusion of it.

Were you just trying to seem like you knew what you were talking about by throwing random terms around?

>implying losing ego and submitting to the void is safe
>implying spirits of the void aren't already raping your sense
>>
File: 1368821388342.jpg (3 KB, 125x123) Image search: [Google]
1368821388342.jpg
3 KB, 125x123
>>36672916
>What do Buddhist monks have that you dont.
Buddhist monks have nothing KEK
>>
>>36673991
>spirits of the void

Nigga this isn't a final Fantasy game. "emptiness" as empty of all inherently limiting qualities, beyond all contingency, what is beyond all categories of being and nonbeing, how fucking dumb are you?
>>
File: qdKPT3v.jpg (205 KB, 1111x983) Image search: [Google]
qdKPT3v.jpg
205 KB, 1111x983
>>36672589
Join the dark side. We have gains.
>>
>>36673976
If I'm not human how come we can speak the same language and I could produce healthy non-sterile offspring if I were to copulate with one of you
>>
https://m.reddit.com/r/bodyweightfitness/comments/1ho62f/shaolin_monks_bodyweight_training/

Found this on leddit. Pretty interesting. Its am ama from a student doing shaolin monk training.
>>
File: gerbil_wheel[1].jpg (23 KB, 271x246) Image search: [Google]
gerbil_wheel[1].jpg
23 KB, 271x246
>>36674029
>implying as a young man with a life ahead of him you should be seeking nonbeing and nothingness and egodeath
>implying you're actually entering the void
>implying you know the context of why those people did what they were doing
>implying you're being given all the knowledge
>implying you're applying it in the same way
>implying you need it

You seem mad there, friendo. Are you sure you let go of your ego?
You seem rather spirited right now. And angry.

Are you sure you know what you're studying?
Are you even studying it properly?

Because, it does not seem so. At all.
>>
File: 1279605882159.jpg (19 KB, 342x409) Image search: [Google]
1279605882159.jpg
19 KB, 342x409
>>36674039
>If I'm not human how come we can speak the same language
A computer can speak human language. Monkies can speak sign language. Neither are human.

>I could produce healthy non-sterile offspring if I were to copulate with one of you
>healthy

Look at american blacks. The products of white-black relations. The cancer of america. Low IQ. Nearly half of the males are criminals.
Nothing healthy there.

It's possible for closely related species to produce fertile offspring. Horse and donkey. Tiger and lion. Human and african.
>>
>>36673034
So ultimately my initial question still stands..

Why do you need to be in the himalayas, or part of a Buddhist monastery.. that sounds like some ego shot to me my friend. Your romanticizing an idea, not pursuing wholeness.

Buy a deprivation chamber, some candles and a yoga mat.

I think your buying into the illusion that these Buddhist motherfuckers have any idea what they are doing. I'd be chill as fuck and talking all crazy too if I did nothing all day on a beautiful mountain in a bad ass stone temple.

What's the sound of one hand clapping
>>
>>36674181
That hurts my feelings anon
>>
>>36673689
Fuck I'm laffin
>>
>>36674044
Aka some shitmouth bitch in Portland Oregon taking classes from some asiany looking guy for 500$ a month
>>
>>36673667
>implying most of /pol/ isn't christian
>>
>>36674206
Don't listen to him, is this your first day on the internet? People say stupid things that offend different kinds of people all the time. Especially on 4chan. Just because he says that shit doesn't mean it's true.
>>
>>36674232
Please. They only care about the Crusader aesthetic.
>>
>>36674089
I said beyond the concepts of being and nonbeing. At least read what I actually wrote.

My ego is all the shitty, gross, annoying parts of me. My best self comes out when I no longer fixate on being one
>>
>>36673652
>>36673652
Buddhist is most definitely not nihilist. Buddhists are not meant to deny themselves the joy and pleasure of everyday life, they are supposed to enjoy every single day like a new one, but not to hold onto any of it. Everything is impermanent.

A monk's life is much more strict than a laymen's. You are certainly allowed to marry and have kids and all that.

And monks are only so thin because they only eat what is given to them, or what sometimes they grow. They only eat what they can at one time and do not store food.

Buddhism is about mindfullness. You don't have to sit down and meditate in the lotus position everyday. You can meditate walking, eating, anything. You are supposed to experience everything in the NOW.

Also realize there are 2 types of Buddism, theravadin and mahayana. Theravadin is found more in countries like Thailand, Vietnam, etc. It is by the scripture and is meant to be for betterment of one's self.

Mahayana is what most western people think when they think of Buddhism. The universal love and doing things for the benefit of the human race. Mahayana has a lot of other, older religions mixed in it. They have the "gods". Theravadin does not. And no, Buddha is not a God. One could say that Buddhism is a philosphy rather than a religion.

>tldr
>>
okay, how can I get into meditation? any proper online resources? i dont mind a little "magic" or whatever you want to call it, as long as the techniques are the real deal.
>>
>>36674181
but thats fucking wrong

a donkey and horses offspring can not procreate, neither can the offspring of a tiger and a lion
>>
>>36676233
Mindfulness. In everything you do. Eating? Think about what you're eating. Feel the sensation of it in your mouth, of you chewing it. Do this with everything. Walking? Feel yourself walking, take in your surroundings.

If you want the stereotypical sitting down kind, just let your mind wander, and then push the thoughts away. Don't get upset if you lose focus, just accept that the thoughts are normal and to be accepted, then push them away.
>>
>>36676403

The first I kind of do naturally, spend a shitload of time walking around in nature.

Any certain breathing techniques helpful?
>>
Sadhu, sadhu, sadhu

http://youtu.be/Qe1gF-250ws
>>
Remember that Buddhism is not metaphysical. You aren't questioning the meaning of life. Take this quote that Buddha said to Malunkyaputta into consideration:

"Suppose a man is wounded by a poisoned arrow, and his friends and relatives bring him to a surgeon. Suppose the man should then say: "I will not let this arrow be taken out until I know who shot me; whether he is a Ksatriya, or a Brahmana, or a Vaisya or a Sudra (castes); what his name and family may be; whether he is tall, short, or of medium stature; whether his complexion is black, brown, or golden, from which the village, town or city he comes. I will not let this arrow be taken out until I know the kind of bow with which it was shot; the kind of bowstring used; the type of arrow; what sort of feather was used on the arrow and with what kind of material the point of the arrow was made." "....that man would die without knowing any of these things....if anyone says: "I will not follow the holy life under the Blessed one until he answers these questions such as whether the universe is eternal or not, etc, he would die with these questions unanswered."
>>
>>36676428
What I've learned is to start with focusing on the sensation of breathing, feel your chest rise and fall. Feel the slight breath from your nose on your upper lip. And just slowly work towards the rest of your body, feeling everything that your body does and becoming aware of it.
>>
If anyone is truly interested, read "What the Buddha Taught" by Walpola Rahula. It is a theravadin view of Buddhism (by the texts) and it is very blunt and easy to understand and dispels many misunderstandings about Buddhism.
>>
>>36676428
Just focus on your breath. Number one thing is not engage with your thoughts as they rise. Let them pass. You're not trying to suppress them, just let them happen and watch 'em go.

A thought you're not paying attention to is no thought at all.
>>
>>36673652

>Not seeking to achieve meditative Stillness in God's presence as part of your lectio divina sessions
>Not taking the similar Stillness of Eastern mystics (as opposed to heathen deities) as a sign from God that they are diligent, good-intentioned people who are ripe to receive His word

Filthy Protestant heretic plz leave.
>>
>>36676914
western people who worship nothingness don't want to hear about Jesus desu senpai, sad but true
>>
>>36672589
im not losing my gains to become asian you fag. fuck off.
Thread replies: 60
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.