[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Q and A with experienced lifters
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 2
File: q-and-a.jpg (109 KB, 600x506) Image search: [Google]
q-and-a.jpg
109 KB, 600x506
Hey lads, I have years of training, a decent powerlifting total and an aesthetic physique. I can post pics and what not if interested but I don't just want to brag.

I've got some time to kill and would like to help some newer lifters are this board. No memes or shitposting, I'll do my best to give you my advice and opinions as long as your question can't easily be answered with a google search.

Other experienced lifters feel free to help out, but lets try something that hasn't happened on /fit/ for awhile and help each other out.
>>
>>36658277
When you cut, how much protein/fat/carbs do you eat, how all are you and how much do you weigh?

How about when you bulk
>>
>>36658300
Well the thing is, telling you what I do is not going to be helpful because everyone is different.
However, what I do is use a metabolic capacity approach. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EY1DsZMNfNw

Basically lets look at a bulk+cut cycle. Start by getting your base macros, i use a gram per pound of protein, then go as low fat as I can where I still feel good about hormone production and day to day energy for me thats around 50-60 grams but youll have to play with it, then I go the rest with carbs.

So thats the base macros now lets go to the actual approach, so instead of running a large deficit for a couple weeks or months and then stalling, then increasing. I make very small increases to cals over a long period, adding in 50-100 cals in a week and then waiting primarily as carbs, but youll find you will end up adding fats because its very hard to not eat fat.

The most important thing is to keep going, don't just get to a good number of cals and stop, instead weigh yourself everyday and back off if the weight starts going up too fast, but keep pushing it for as long as possible. Eventually youll find you can maintain bodyweight at much higher cals and carbs than you could otherwise,
this makes cutting super super easy. When you cut, you do the reverse with slightly larger pulls from carbs but GET THE MOST OUT OF AS LITTLE AS YOU CAN, preserve your metabolic capacity at all costs, if you get fat loss pulling 100 cals, you won't get double the fat loss if you decide to jump to 200 cals.

I know thats complicated so ill clarify follow up questions
>>
>>36658421
>>36658300
That's my approach basically, its a bit more complicated than maybe is needed for you and requires strict counting of macros and some experience working with your own body to really work.
So I guess if you really want to keep it simple
start at a gram per pound protein, can be a little more or less daily, if you cut, you are going to want higher fats and lower carbs, if you bulk youll want the opposite.
Overall intake will be much more important for you then macro splits, so doing a traditional 500 cal deficit to cut and 500 surplus to bulk is fine, just dont go too low in cals. my approach works phenomenally but it's really only useful to people a bit more experienced but i figured id throw it out there
>>
What's the best way to increase Chinups?

I do 3 sets to failure added onto SS, but are there better ways I could be increasing the amount I can do?
>>
What's the most effective way to build muscle? I consider my lifts to be pretty decent, 1/2/3/4 for reps, but I see bigger guys at my gym who lift lighter than me, do I need to increase my volume or something? Also what's your thought on the best program for a natty intermediate lifter
>>
>>36658561
Losing weight probably?
Honestly I just typed out a whole thing about using bands or added weight but thinking about it, that wouldnt be helpful to you. You are doing SS, don't worry too much about the chinups, it's just an accessory. Rome wasnt built in a day, focus on getting your strength foundation as soon as possible and then transition to a power/hypertrophy program.

>>36658579
Push Pull Legs is what I do. And yes, there is a place for "pump" work even for natties
http://strengtheory.com/sarcoplasmic-vs-myofibrillar-hypertrophy/

You don't need to increase "volume", you may need to do more reps and sets but note volume is reps x sets x weight, 5x5 has more total volume than 3 x 8, working in higher rep ranges doesnt necessarily mean more volume,
>>
>>36658561
>What's the best way to increase Chinups?

slow negatives after failure, and "to failure" doesn't tell me anything. what amount of reps? if you're hitting 8-10+ reps, add weight.
>>
>>36658579
Basically the general framework I use for say ap ull work out which is basically back rear delts traps and bis

High rep high intensity pre exhaust on the lats, so like drop set lat pull downs 20 16 14 12, then 3x8 working sets of lat pull downs.
Then transition to some kind of compound movement, 5x5 pendlay row, usually supersetted with dumbell high rows for the rear delts in sets of 8, then finish off with 3x12 reverse cable flies and shrugs. I use a general framework but basically auto regulate inside that,
>>
File: 210squat.gif (2 MB, 320x180) Image search: [Google]
210squat.gif
2 MB, 320x180
I'm not OP, but I had a decent squat at 83kg before an unrelated injury. Gif related is my highbar beltless pr of 210kg, lowbar pr at a meet was 240kg

So if you have any squat questions, please ask.
>>
>>36658277
Can I get from 4pl8 to 5pl8 in a year? I weigh 85kg and I'm 178cm
>>
>>36658971
What lift?
What kind of volume/peaking have you done in the past.
For deadlift, yes, for squat probably, depends if you have done volume programs like smolov before.
For bench, prob not, but again if you hit that 4 plate bench never having run a PL program, its possible.
>>
>>36658925
Youre shooting your hips back like you would if you squat lowbar.
I do the exact same thing when I try highbar, pretty hard to unlearn esp under max load, but it is inefficient. Just in case you dont already know.
>>
>>36658997
Squat
SL 5x5 to 120kg 5rm, madcow to 155kg 5rm and then I took a week off and came in to hit 180kg

I don't know what peaking means or what makes a program a PL one
>>
Ill lurk too. 5.25 yrs lifting. Prioritized bench press and cnj for the last 3years.

Ask me about my anecdotes
>>
>>36659042
Ehh it is possible, if you did something like smolov or any program with very high freq or were willing to really bulk up. Would be hard though
>>
My Deadlift is my worst lift, due to a mix of tight hammys and short arms. I stall quite a bit on it, despite making decent progress on squat -- this makes me think it may be a form issue also.

It's at about 245lbs, but my Squat is catching up (it's at 230lbs). Would it be worth pausing squat progression in order to focus myself on getting my Deadlift up/polishing out form?

Or should
>>
>>36658925
my right si joint feels weird when i squat high

how do i prevent any damage to occur, im thinking of buying some lifting shoes
>>
>>36659155
Highbar or high depth wise?
>>
>>36659203
i squat highbar, and i mean high in weight

i dont feel anything during the lift, but after i get this tingling feeling, sometimes it can be pretty intense beyond 105kgs. It doesnt feel like pain though
>>
>>36659115
Personally I think the DL is a lot easier to learn than the squat, but can be more taxing. Now my DL has always been my best lift, so I'm biased here.
I think if you are making progress in the squat, keep going, you can always do a DL specialized program farther into your lifting career if it really becomes an issue.
>>
>>36659251
Cheers. I suppose even if my squat surpasses it for now, things'll eventually balance back out.

Also, on my Squat I have the similar sort of wobble on the way back up as >>36658925, is that a sign of bad form, or just a sign of the weight being challenging? I've been trying both high and lowbar, so sometimes I use my hips more than I should on the highbar.
>>
>>36659307
Are you talking about knee caving in? or valgus?
That is natural at maximal attempts
>>
>>36659686
Sorta the way his torso leans forward and back as he trys to maintain straight bar path
>>
>>36659738
My understanding is that it comes from leading with your hips, like you would in a low bar squat, but to be honest high bar squat form isnt something im very knowledgeable about
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.