[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Anyone else here have ADHD?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 2
File: download.jpg (14 KB, 279x180) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
14 KB, 279x180
Anyone else here have ADHD?
>>
I do. I take vyvanse for it.
>>
>>36657543
When were you diagnosed?
I was diagnosed half a year ago and take vyvanse as well. It works but it makes my hands cold.
>>
>>36657528
90% of the people I meet "have it", when really they just have hyperactive tendencies. My mom had me diagnosed when I was 10, because my teacher said my foot bounced too much and I kept looking out a window when it was nice out. I swear some of these doctors these days are the biggest bullshit
>>
It's crazy how easy it is to get diagnosed with ADHD as a kid and then when you turn 18 suddenly you're a dopefiend drug seeker.

Wish I had been diagnosed before I got into University. It would have saved me desu.
>>
Is their a difference still with ADD or ADHD? I have ADD but it doesnt really effect my day to day life as much as it did as a kid, I might say what Im thinking a bit more than most people or get a bit distracted easily but I don't have anywhere near the majority of the regular symptoms of adult ADD and most of the adults that say they have it come across as way more obvious.

Haven't taken anything for it since I was 11.
>>
>>36657701
ADD is ADHD. ADHD is the only term for it now.

Maybe do some research on adult ADHD and make sure it doesn't come back to bite you
>>
>>36657594
I was diagnosed a year ago. My hands are cold only sometimes, but I think it's because of my thyroid (thyroid problems make body temperature irregular at times)
>>
>>36657630
Some of them, granted. But I was always extra talkative and couldn't focus, and my parents swore it was a phase, until my ability to focus got worse. That's when I convinced them to take me to a neurologist, where the test results came back ADHD positive.
>>
>>36657737
Honestly, I just learned moreso how to deal with it. It was never terrible when I was a kid either, teachers liked me and I was more high energy if anything. Once I kinda figured out who I was more after high school and started to see the small things my ADD effected in day to day life with people I just try to consciously correct them. It's not a colossal problem and it's been the same since I was a teenager if not much better.

The biggest thing I try to be conscious of is not looking away when I talk to people, sometimes Ill naturally just look off to the side when chatting with someone, people probably notice but i've only had one person ever say anything, either way I try to not do it now.
>>
>>36657701
Probably what happened to me. Normal kids = hyper kids
>>
>>36657737
Thank you was gonna say this.

There are still differentiating symptoms though, you could be more on the hyperactive side or more on the attention deficit side.
>>
>>36657840
Yea, that was a lot of it. Like I still have trouble focusing sometimes, it's just not as bad as some people seem to have it. I've talked to some adults with it that really get affected. I've been overall alright with it, I find working as a server is much better than my past jobs since I never have a chance to get bored or distracted. Sales was a drag despite getting to work and talk with people I found the down time to easy to be distracted by.
>>
>>36657528
Yeh. It's pretty severe. Started medication at 23. It changed my life for the better.
>>
>>36658191
Any tips on how to get started with meditation?
>>
>>36657528
I probs could have been diagnosed with it. When I first entered school I ended up in the legit retard special group because I guess some of the teachers didn't like me or something. I now have a rational mistrust of early years teachers.
>>
>>36658275
Put some cold water in a pan and put it on the stove and just stare at it until it boils. Increase amount of water each time
>>
>>36658275
Why do you think I meditate?
>>
>>36658372
The universe told me
>>
>>36657528
lol just came from the doc im back on my meds after 5 years
>>
>>36658403
You are right. Ayy lmao.Try this:
https://soundcloud.com/samharrisorg/mindfulness-meditation-9

Hope you are not serious about "the universe told me" part
>>
File: cat_food.jpg (97 KB, 800x800) Image search: [Google]
cat_food.jpg
97 KB, 800x800
>>36658347
>watched water
>boiling
heh
>>
>2050-34
>still believing in bullshit disorders
>spending thousands on stimulants
>>
>>36657528
Yo, diagnosed as a kid, then rediagnosed last year with adult ADD. I don't take medication, mostly because I remember how much I used to fucking hate Ritalin
>>
>>36657528
Me, never took anything for it though
>>
>>36658527
> living in a country where you have to pay for your medicine yourself

> not taking advantage of the equivalent of roids for your brain
>>
I do. It's persisted into adulthood. I take medikinet.
>>
Was prescribed Adderall. At first I felt like a normal human being. I could actually consciously think without a millions thoughts streaming beyond my control.

Then, you become acclimated to the dosage. Then they up your dosage. Suddenly you are taking a shit load of amphetamines and chasing the proverbial stim dragon of super clean focus.

I stopped taking them a couple years back. I never feel as good as I did when taking them... but then you also realize that they make you act irrationally. It's not normal to clean and organize your workspace for 2 hours when you have more important shit to do etc.

Now I just workout and eat healthy... do the best I can... I still am always staring off to space like an autist, but hey I score well on different types of tests and can read books for hours.

Being dependent on a medication is a bad feel brehs.
>>
>>36658275
Don't fall for the pleb advice of 'b-but i cant meditate because i can't stop thinking!!!'

I don't know where the fuck this idea that your head has to be empty before meditating but it's bullshit. The point is to do nothing and be still with your thoughts, whether your head is full of fuck or your head is clear as day. Just fucking sit nigga.
>>
>>36659175
adderall is dangerous shit. It's actually not acquirable outside the us, I read somewhere.

But, yeah. I have a LOT of meds around the house. Most of them are meds that I started taking and then dropped because they didn't work or made my depression worse.

I can't live without my anti-adhd meds. The come down is a lot of anxiety, but if I don't have some in the house I get really squirly. Not being able to concentrate and do what I want to do is hell for me. If I hadn't had it for school, I would have fucking flunked out.
>>
>>36659322
Oh yeah it also game me a heart arrhythmia. That was quite frightening considering I was pretty healthy besides taking it.
>>
>>36659322
I don't have any kind of comedown/hangover or anything from either ritalin, amphetamine or adderall, but if I don't take it, shit won't get done on that day.
>>
>>36659343
Yeah, I looked up adderall effects. Arrythimia is pretty standard fare, but it's also like, a symptom of a minor overdose. Major overdoses can make your brain and/or heart explode.

>>36659348
I have other shit to deal with besides ADHD, so it's probably those two things working together.
>>
>>36657528
Yeah, I though I had ADHD because could not stand still and focus. The truth was my diet was shit and full of sugar. Started keto and if that does not calm you down, I do not know what will.
>>
>>36659434
> I do not know what will

ritalin
>>
>>36657667
I had the worst first semester at uni. I almost failed my whole first year, but an advisor reached out to me because my grades were extremely inconsistent. I explained everything to her (had been previously medicated for ADD, but couldn't handle the side effects of Adderall and Strattera) and gave her documented proof that I'd been diagnosed, and I was able to have the classes removed from my transcript. Still paid for it, but my GPA didn't suffer. Afterwards, she hooked me up with an expedited appointment at the uni health services, where I started on Effexor and it works wonders for me. Made a complete turn around, still doing quite well.

Sorry to blog, but yeah, I would've failed out because of my ADD if the school's services didn't reach out to me. I'm thankful.
>>
>>36657528
I do, though I show almost no signs of hyperactivity. For me, my own thoughts distract me rather than outside stimuli and I'm hoping I'm not the only one that this happens to. How do you guys deal with it without meds? I've tried taking Ritalin but it did a lot more harm than good. I constantly was trying to chase that point of mental clarity that I rarely ever got. Goddamn that was horrible.
>>
>>36658527
>implying all ADHD people are medicated
>>
My psychiatrist thought I did until he started asking me about how I was as a kid, finding out I was a quiet studious little angel made him reconsider
I don't know what he thinks now but anyway I'm on wellbutrin
>>
>>36659448
>448▶
> >>36659434
> > I do not know what will
> ritalin
>>
>>36657782
I do this all the time. I have inattentive adhd not the hyperactive kind. It annoys people constantly
>>
>>36659544
What is exxafor?
>>
>>36659702
I'm not sure if you mean Effaxor because Exxafor doesn't exist. And if you mean Effaxor, how will that help in any way?
>>
>>36659544
>>36659544
>How do you guys deal with it without meds?

Depends on what your symptoms are.

Exercise helps tons. Also, I always carry my smartphone in case my symptoms get really bad. For building habits and routine, a lot of it is just trial and error/perseverance, you gotta find what works for you.

As for daily life, it helps to communicate with the people around you. My family probably thinks I'm a sperg because I'm so anal about people moving my things or interrupting me when I'm busy. Truth is, I really don't like to break my "rhythm" unless it's super necessary, cause it can be so hard to find it again.
>>
>>36659544
I'm like you, however I am also pretty easily distracted by my surroundings. Never hyperactive. I personally could not deal with it without meds, as it was greatly affecting my school/work.

I've never taken Ritalin before, but I had horrible side effects from Adderall so I quit meds for about 10 years until university when it was fucking me up the most. Effexor helps me focus and make deadlines.

>>36659744
Effexor really helps my ADD. It's generally prescribed for anxiety, but my doctor said it's the medication he prescribes most often for people with my symptoms who have had no luck with the usual ADD drugs.
>>
>>36659765
how does the smartphone help?
>>
>>36659964
I should add, the only non-medication thing that has helped me is that I bought a planner and I write everything out and schedule myself completely. Might sound retarded, but it has really helped me. I also log all of my meals in advance so that I am not constantly thinking about all the stuff I have to do. It's already taken care of, or written down in a common place that I check daily.
>>
>>36657743
ADHD =/= hyperthyroidism
>>
>itt: special snowflakes
>>
>>36657528
Took some shitty ADHD medicine when I was a kid and it was also an appetite suppressant . Switched from that to nothing and then a few years later to 420erryday to slow my brain down but stay hungry and that's where I've stayed for about 3 years and it's working out a lot better than being medicated was, it made me feel like I was covered in syrup and everything moved slower.
>>
I was diagnosed ADD a few years back at first I thought it was amazing but looking back it was simply the high that I was enjoying.

Needless to say I believe I wasted more time on tasks that were redundant such as cleaning my room for hours on end or making "flash cards" but not studying.

Eventually I just stopped the medications and focused on meditation and having a normal routine. I can only advise others that if they wish to take amphetamines to only take them once in a while... it literally is pure garbage for the body.

If the medication works for you that's great but you have to ask yourself what are the long term effects. Personally I would only do them to fuck around with like any other drug, but not daily. The key is self disciplining yourself in the areas of health not only physically but also mentally.
>>
>In March 2011 a group of scientists undertook a comprehensive study on nearly 1 million
Canadian schoolchildren. What they did was look at the medical diagnoses that all these children
had received within the period of one year. The children were between the ages of six and twelve,
and the scientists were particularly interested in how many of them had been diagnosed with
ADHD. Once the calculations were conducted and the results came in, the scientists were initially
baffled by what they found: the precise month in which a child was born played a significant role in
determining whether they would be diagnosed with ADHD.
>As odd as this may sound, the figures published in the Canadian Medical Association Journal are
plain to see. The line that charts the monthly diagnostic rates, rather than resembling a mountain
range that peaks and dips from month to month, instead moves steadily and diagonally upwards
from January to the end of December. To translate this into numerical terms, we find that 5.7 per
cent of all boys born in January were diagnosed, compared with 5.9 per cent born in February and
6.0 per cent born in March. After that, the monthly rates rise incrementally until boys born at the
end of the year are 30 per cent more likely to be diagnosed than boys born at the start. If this figure
seems startling to you, then just consider the female diagnostic rates: girls born at the year’s end in
December are 70 per cent more likely to be diagnosed with ADHD than girls born in January. So
what’s going on here?
>>
>>36662655
The clue to unravelling this puzzle has nothing to do with birth signs or weather patterns or
cosmic shifts in the lunar calendar. It rather has to do with the simple fact that children in the same
year at school can be almost a full year apart in actual age. This is because children with birthdays
just before the cut-off date for entering school will be younger than classmates born at earlier times
of the year. So in Canada, for example, children born at the beginning of the year are eleven
months older than classmates born at the end of the year. This means that January children have a
full eleven months developmental advantage over their December peers. And an eleven-month gap
at that age represents an enormous difference in terms of mental and emotional maturity.

The clue to unravelling this puzzle has nothing to do with birth signs or weather patterns or
cosmic shifts in the lunar calendar. It rather has to do with the simple fact that children in the same
year at school can be almost a full year apart in actual age. This is because children with birthdays
just before the cut-off date for entering school will be younger than classmates born at earlier times
of the year. So in Canada, for example, children born at the beginning of the year are eleven
months older than classmates born at the end of the year. This means that January children have a
full eleven months developmental advantage over their December peers. And an eleven-month gap
at that age represents an enormous difference in terms of mental and emotional maturity.
Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.