[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Scoliosis and Deadlifts/Squats
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1
File: ScolioticSpineNormalSpine.jpg (82 KB, 400x320) Image search: [Google]
ScolioticSpineNormalSpine.jpg
82 KB, 400x320
Hey'all what is your guys' opinion on deadlifting/squatting with lower back scoliosis? I went to several chiropractors and everyone said something else. One dude said it can strengthen my back, another dude said it would be a one way ticket to wheelchair city.

Any thoughts on this?
>>
>>36656066
I think you should just throw five plates on that sucker and let Jesus take the wheel spread your wings and fly because your a goddam raptor baby CAW CAW
>>
>>36656066
I have some minor scoliosis and squat and diddly just fine. I feel like it's improved my posture immensely.

Start really, really, annoyingly low weight and perfect your form. Then linearly progress slowly. Don't let these meatheads push you into doing too much weight.
>>
Go see a physical therapist. They are much more knowledgeable than chiropractors
>>
>>36656066
You'll be fine. Look up Lamar Gant. He was a lifter with severe scoliosis who pulled weights heavier than your mom. They even x-rayed him while he deadlifted so they could see how it affected his spine. Just take your time, make sure your form is good, and stretch well before, during, and after your exercise.
>>
>>36656066
>>36656089

Yeah chiropractors are basically modern day witch doctors. Go to a real doctor and see what they say.
>>
>>36656066
So, well, you are basically me regarding your problem.

first of all, go to a real doctor. and let him check where it comes from. My scoliosis comes from a slight difference of leg length.

I do correct it partially (0.5cm inlay in one shoe, the total difference is about 1.5cm) while lifting.

I take extremely care and also started with low weight to have a very good form.

All in all, deadlifts are my best exercise.

With squats, I really go down to the ground, therefore I can't lift too much. But I have big legs anyway so I don't care too much about them.

Actually most important: you can actively work to get your scoliosis better! lifting is one thing, I guess, but the other is identifying the everyday tasks you do with a curved back. E.g. carrying grocerys, always carry the bag in the one hand with the phone in the other etc.. for me, it was also cleaning teeth where I had a curved back.. all in all, take care of your everyday posture and it'll get much better!

So now, sit straight ;)
>>
>>36656066
You'll be fine, but you'll be a bit weaker since your muscles are essentially not lined up right. Don't see chiropractors they're fucking charlatans; go to an orthopaedic clinic and see if they'll fix it with surgery or a brace
>>
>>36657262
I've never heard of a doctor figuring out where it came from....only telling you that you have it. That's so awesome.
>>
>>36656066
The form must be perfect, that's for sure. Hot showers to back after lifting is very good for scolisis related pains.
>>
>>36656066
i had scoliosis. Been lifting for a while now (4pl8 dl for 1 rep) and it's now gone. At least you couldn't tell I ever had scoliosis when looking at my back.
>>
>>36657262
everyone I hear who have leg length discrepancy has it pretty much within the norm.

I have 2,5 cm ish, and after using 1,5cm lifts in left side for months, I stopped since a physio told me it wasnt needed plus professional powerlifters. I wear them every day though.

Deads are my best exercise too, by far. I don't have lower back pain at all, but i have upper back problems, which are more related to the shoulder, but might be caused by multidirectional curvature.
>>
>>36656066
It depends on what kind of scoliosis and how you're coping with it. Typically proper malformed vertebrae are worse off than bad posture, but some people will find their muscles are more prone to atrophy and their cartilage is more prone to wearing done and so on, and so have it worse in the end. So some people with congenital malformed vertebrae are okay yo deadlift in certain ways, and people with bad posture are not.

Get an MRI done if you're worried.
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.