[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
The "red meat gives colon cancer" meme. Do you read
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 2
File: raw_1717_processed-meat-one.jpg (82 KB, 1200x820) Image search: [Google]
raw_1717_processed-meat-one.jpg
82 KB, 1200x820
The "red meat gives colon cancer" meme. Do you read too much red meat, do you care about higher cancer risk? I can't imagine eating ~180g of protein a day without some red meat. I sure as fuck can't eat chicken breasts and fish twice a day. I guess I'll have to push the legumes shit.
>>
>>36643152
Git gud at eating. Fish is top tier.
>>
i eat about 500 grams of greek yogurt every day to get over the hump
is that unhealthy?
>>
>>36643177
Well it might be, but still I don't want to eat that much fish everyday.
>>
thats some pretty big slices of bacon
>>
File: 1374519319772.jpg (37 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
1374519319772.jpg
37 KB, 600x600
Processed meat refers to sausage and similar stuff. Not bacon and other cuts of meat.
>>
>>36643215
Well the meme is all red meat in general, not only processed one - http://www.cancercouncil.com.au/21639/cancer-information/cancer-risk-and-prevention/healthy-weight-diet-and-exercise/meat-and-cancer/ "probable cause"
>>
Processed meat is worse, yes. Dont eat sausages too much and dont leave your shit in your colon for too long.
>>
>>36643231
>"probable cause"
you sound like the smoking lobby 40 years ago
go easy on the red meat faggots
>>
Bacon is a processed meat. it's cured and smoked.

There's decent evidence that processed meat is bad for you. As for red meat/saturated fat being bad, that's less certain.
>>
>two bacon slices is 50g
Jesus fucking christ
>>
>processed meat is bad
>therefore all meat is bad

I want this meme to fucking end already
>>
>>36643387

>check bacon I bought yesterday
>pack contains 10 slices bacon
>pack weighs 100g

Not sure how bacon in the land of Amerifat cuckolds looks tho
>>
so the chance of developing colon cancer in a lifetime for a male is about 5%, so and 18% increase would be 5,9%? Or is that included in the original 5%?
DESU i would take that risk since how good it tastes. I drive a car to work everyday that increases my chances of dying 100x of that.
>>
>>36643215
Bacon is cured (processed)
>>
>>36644154
Yeah, desu that's what I thought, but there's a history of cancer in the family.
>>
>>36643152
Who gives a shit, it's all genetics anyway, desu. Yeah, certain carcinoenic activities like smoking increase your risk somewhat, and it's entirely possible that red/processed meats fall into that category, but if you're a person who genetically is at a very low risk for cancer to begin with, it's very unlikely to be a tipping point. Likewise, if you're at a high risk for cancer, who cares if you're pushing it up higher? You're probably going to get it anyway.

Also unlike smoking, red meat has nutritional value and is a great source of fat/protein. tl;dr - eat some fucking bacon.
>>
>>36643152
Wish I could afford lots of fish, would eat it on every meal
>>
>>36644694
/thread
>>
>>36643152
Chance goes from what to what exactly?
From like
>.00001
To
>.0000118
Or something

>Implying vegan retards have enough controls and sample size to have statistical power
>implying causation
This is so dumb
>>
18% translates to less than 1% lifetime risk. Which means if we apply the standardized error margin, it could be just as likely that bacon eaters are less likely to develop colorectal cancer.
>>
>>36643152
There's more than one kind of processed meat, you can't blame it on all processed meats. Maybe half of the people they interviewed ate McDonald's as their dose of processed meats and whatever the fuck is in McDonald's patties is what makes the risk of colon cancer higher.
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.