[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Push Press vs Strict Over head Press. Which one do you guys prefer?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 3
File: push-press-annie.jpg (176 KB, 1600x1067) Image search: [Google]
push-press-annie.jpg
176 KB, 1600x1067
Push Press vs Strict Over head Press.

Which one do you guys prefer?
>>
>>36628826
Strict. I do both tho
>>
>>36628826

Strict.
>>
strict, better carryover to my bench
>>
>>36628826
Push press is only useful if you train clean&jerk, to train the motion of the overhead portion of the movement.

If you don't train oly lifting you don't have absolutely any business with push presses.
>>
>>36628826
I prefer fucking crossfit qt
>>
I prefer strict press. I'm on a program to specifically increase my OHP and I found push pressing had very little carryover.
>>
>>36628826
I do a couple of push press reps when I can't do any more strict reps
>>
>>36628826
strict, push press won't get my upper body as strong.
>>
>>36629800

I do this too fampai

>tfw can't tell if it actually works
>>
>>36629800
me too famalam
>>
>>36629800
this 2bh, if i'm doing sets of 5 strict it usually turns into 4 strict reps and one push rep
>>
>>36628826
Since when were 55 pound plates standardized?
>>
>>36629889
Around the same time "THE FITTEST ON EARTH" was trademarked
>>
>>36628826
I don't even do it right but I do strict.

I go out way too far from my face, sometimes don't go under the bar. I don't even think I've kept my core tight the last couple times and I was doing 150. I should really fix that. I might drop down to 135 and just focus on my form today
>>
>>36628826
Heavy push presses have helped my OHP plateau and my bench shot up. Using leg drive to get the weight up, holding it for several seconds, then doing slowww controlled negatives are GOAT.
>>
>>36629083
>If you don't train oly lifting you don't have absolutely any business with push presses.
anyone who trains strongman would disagree
>>
>>36629083
push press =/= jerk

and the push press is a great way to overload overhead strength. the strength difference is so large (once you train them both) that its a very valid lift to include as well.
>>
>>36628826

This grill is putting more weight over her head than 90% of this board.

As for your question OP, push presses can't hold a candle to a plain old Press. The start of the lift is the hardest part for me, I can always lock it out once I'm under it. Skipping the sticking point seems counterproductive to me. But if I were to do an assistance exercise, it would be partial presses from a rack instead of using leg drive to create momentum.
>>
>>36629800
I've been doing this foo senpai. Does this actually help?
>>
>>36630986
It's essentially like going past failure with an assisted rep. Could help but might also be better to save that strength for the next set. It's probably not that important and you should do it if you feel like it.
>>
File: Klokov 192kg Thruster_1.webm (563 KB, 529x600) Image search: [Google]
Klokov 192kg Thruster_1.webm
563 KB, 529x600
>>36628826

Thrusters.

>>36629083

Nice meme.
>>
Are the presses as Rip teaches (where you sorta lean the hips forward with straight locked legs, then lean back and push up) strict? If not, what are the called? "The Press"?
>>
>>36629083
I want DYELs off my board
>>
Push is good if your are stuck. Which is always.
>>
File: How to Press.png (281 KB, 784x1000) Image search: [Google]
How to Press.png
281 KB, 784x1000
>>36631237

The hip thrust doesn't affect the press as much as you might think. Most of what it does is actually fixing the form for people who don't know how to press correctly (and thus, I always recommend it for novices).
>>
I start off each set with a slight pushpress for momentum and then finish it off with push press if i cant make my last reps.
>>
>>36631237

The hip thrust helps the initial drive off the shoulders and facilitates a straight bar path.
>>
>>36631217
Trappy you've never even done a thruster before you fucking loser.
Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.