[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What does /fit/ think of running? I weigh 185 and go on a 30ish
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 76
Thread images: 7
File: triathlon-running (1).jpg (11 KB, 450x300) Image search: [Google]
triathlon-running (1).jpg
11 KB, 450x300
What does /fit/ think of running?
I weigh 185 and go on a 30ish minute run every other day and I think it keeps me in pretty good shape
>>
>>36624377
>get close to sub 20min 5km time
>dont run for a month
>back to a late 20s 5km time

FUCK

ill never break through this 20min barrier
>>
Lift every other day that you're not running.

If you think you're in pretty good shape now, you'll be presently surprised.
>>
>>36624377
Why do ellipticalls suck so much
I've had to use it since I've been cooped up for the winter and can't run outside
It's so horrible
>>
>>36624394

>not being able to go outside
>not living in texas
>not living in a place where the lowest cold is 60 and the highest in summer is 85

what are you doing man
>>
It's possibly the least enjoyable form of cardio there is, especially for superfats like myself.

I set myself a 1 month target of 5km in 30 minutes. I'm a few sessions in and hating every minute of it.
>>
>>36624409
Alaska is goat
>>
>>36624442
Probably not enough time.

C25K was surprisingly appropriate intensity for me and takes about 3 months or something similar to get to 5km.

I started out skinny and light but very, very unfit. I was sticking to the program and barely keeping with it.
I reckon if you're fat your legs and joints will be taking a much harder hit than mine were, so it will take longer. But maybe you're fitter starting out than me.

Now that I'm fitter I enjoy running, runner's high is definitely a real thing. However, it's boring after 30minutes and now that I'm beyond that I really don't want to run for 1hour plus to keep improving. I need a new exercise.
>>
>>36624442
>superfat
>running

go swim or cycle, come back to running when it world cause your body to break down. I dont want you destroying your joints before youve even made it friend
>>
>>36624442
we are talking about exercises for humans
>>
>>36624517
go be a cunt somewhere else
>>
File: image.jpg (102 KB, 660x713) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
102 KB, 660x713
>>36624517
>>36624527
He wouldn't have to be a cunt if you weren't a fatty, fatty
>>
>>36624540
Please leave >>>/b/
>>
>>36624501
Yeah I think you're right to say it won't be long enough. Currently around 320lbs,
6'0" so clearly running isn't going to be my strong point and my knees may be taking a beating. No pain just yet though.

I was following pic related, but I think I'm going to go my own way rather than follow it. I think I will find the jumps in running time too big. Week 3 for example jumps to 3 minutes running from 1.5 minutes. Week 5 goes from 8 minutes to 21 minutes. And the "total" under each workout doesn't make much sense either. Week 6, session 3 is a 25 minute run, with a total time of 23 minutes.

First session I did week 1 day 1 and went straight in to week 2 day 2. So I'll go for week 3 next time. I can't face more than a month of running though. Either I make it or I don't, but a month is my max
>>
>>36624540
but im not a fatty, im just not one to insult people who are trying to improve.
>>
File: image.jpg (108 KB, 554x1113) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
108 KB, 554x1113
>>36624586
>>
>>36624442
as a former superfat this is gonna be tough! cardio is good but that goal is maybe too much too quick. focus on weights and strength with cardio mixed in and believe me you'll notice results quicker. six months from superfat to 30 minute 5k is totally doable, if you try to get there in one month you'll burn yourself out. but keep trying to improve bro!
>>
File: 1454823459702.jpg (11 KB, 155x202) Image search: [Google]
1454823459702.jpg
11 KB, 155x202
>>36624517
>>36624540
>>
>>36624586
>>36624599
Good on you man. It's just going to take time. When you run there's a whole bunch of things that have to happen at the same time- cardio has to improve, leg muscles have to improve, joints have to improve.

Remember to stretch ages before a run, stretch after and walking on off days helps- doesn't wear out your legs, lets muscles recover, slightly improves cardio.
>>
>>36624617
I'm two months in to SL. I just rotate my cardio on a monthly basis with a somewhat ambitious goal for my level of fitness to have something to work towards. Month 1 was a 1 mile swim, month 2 was Stairmaster. Now running.
>>
>>36624377
Love it
Doing a routine where I jog 5k and sprint an extra 6 in intervals

Feels good man
>>
>>36625738
*an extra 1k
>>
>>36624384
Yeh you will, just dont be a faggot and take a month off.

I run every other day and lift every other day, only take about 2-3 rest days a month, actually havent had a rest in three weeks.
Been doing this over a year, its hard to describe the feels when you know you have the fitness on tap to bust out a 10km in 45mins any day of the week with minimal effort.
shit man I did legs today at the gym (squat/diddles/leg press/lunges) and had a shake and 10 mins of stretches and feel ok so did a quick 6km road run, slightly harder than normal but no biggie, still did it in under 30min.
>>
>>36626040
mirin
>>
>>36626135
Consistent effort bro, its all it takes, more important than intensity.
I fucked around for a couple years working out 3-4 days a week, no changing my diet and having large periods of inacivity.
one day i decided to really apply myself by working out everyday and taking my diet 100% serious, within 3 months I was like a new person.

Set a goal and do EVERYTHING possible to make. It will happen, but you need to make it happen, and god damn its a good feeling, being in power and control, anything feels possible once you get your confidence up.

Im 32 btw. Fitter and leaner than I was ten years ago and getting fitter all the time.
>>
>>36624599
where is this diagram from?
>>
>>36627003
Just Google Couch to 5k.
>>
Anyone else like to alternate between a nice easy jog and HIIT?
>>
>>36624599
Pleb
Run with Emi my nigga
>>
>>36624377

I think its boring.

Also top kek at all the people who think it will give you a good body.

Waving around your arms and and running around will give me greek god body foh suuuure.

But hey, if being a skelly with no muscle is what you consider a "good shape" then go for it.
>>
Yeah, running is the best. When being fat, it actually gives some ok good workout for the rest of the body as well.

Im also fat, some kilos fatter than you and i do great with running. Start lifting as well at some point, you will notice the boost it gives to your running. You literally start to fly
>>
>>36626790

Lifting or running?

If running:

> hurr my life changed when i started running around like my ancestors did for the past 10 million years.

What an achievement really
>>
>>36626790
im anotherfag, but im kind of inspired by your post. Im 30 myself and let myself into a terrible state. I once were running and lifing and i do remember the powerful feel, but then i lost that for a longer while. Now i'm obese for real, been cutting for 1month now so i'm starting it again. Doing mosly running and cutting in order to drop some kilos, because i have +20kg extra for fucks sake. I'm thinking about when to join GYM... I quess i will drop some more kilos first
>>
File: shutterstock128714252.jpg (21 KB, 600x400) Image search: [Google]
shutterstock128714252.jpg
21 KB, 600x400
>>36627607

It doesnt give you a good workout at all.

All it does is train your legs and give you good stamina.

I have never seen a runner who doesnt look like a complete skelly.

Waving around your arms doesnt give you defined biceps or a good chest.

Please dont be delusional, if you run all the time and lose fat you will look like pic related and no more.

I run too, but dont be a delusional cuck thinking it will give you a good body. You will slim down and lose fat, THATS IT.
>>
>>36627670
i was speaking about when you are fat. Like seriously obese. It is an ok work out on this situation.

Ofcourse going to gym is a must especially when you are getting to obese from seriously obese
>>
>>36627670
implying fat people wouldn't kill to look this good.

but would they scoop and run? never.
>>
>be me
>want to build endurance
>because why the fuck not
>download a c25k app
>start running
>one set requires 30mins of walking and running
>start walking
>everything's fine
>start running
>shin splints within the first few mins
>hurts like a bitch
>stop
>brisk walked every run instead

Is this normal? Because if it is, i have high respect for runners.
>>
>>36624389
This. Alternating lifting with running/swimming is great. Have been doing so for some months now and it's helped me get back on track
>>
>>36627845
proper form and leg exercises at home
>>
>>36627572
She needs more than three poses if you're going to post them all together.

Copying the pictures makes it seem like she's not real.
>>
i want to start running in the moring
what do i eat so i don't pass out during the run? how long should i wait after eating to do the run?

was thinking of just having a protein shake and waiting around 15 minutes before running
>>
>>36628135
i also realize a protein shake is almost 300 calories. is this too much? my run might not even use that many calories (i'm still a beginner)
>>
I am a running machine. I used to be able to run for literally 3 hours. I eventually stopped running because it got to the point where I just didn't have enough time to even get tired from it.
>>
Most of the /fit/fags would die if there was ever a nuclear doomsday scenario. They couldn't run more than 15 minutes without needing to eat 3000 calories and hurting their joints.
>>
I used to run, but after testing cycling at my current gym it became my favorite. Way easier, and I can therefore do it longer without thinking about it.
>>
>>36628135
>>36628135
I personally run around 30 mins after normal meals and maybe 50 if you have a heavy warm meal.
Actually I prefer running in the afternoon but that might be different for each person.

Regarding calories: The amount you burn depends on many factors( gender age height weight speed time etc...) it is the best if you use an online calculator.
You need to know if you run for loosing fat or just for overall fitness, therefore ir is up to you how many calories you consume.
300 isn't much if you are a grown male just cut the candy crap and you are fine
>>
>>36624377
>30ish minute run every other day
you gotta do at least 1 hour every day.

55kg here
can confirm it helps you from getting fat
>>
>>36624377

Dad spent 15 years working on the green chain (pulling lumber) at a mill before he moved on to Oiler. He's not buff and he has a belly from all the ships and cheezies he packs away, but the man is freakishly strong.

Mom is pudgy, and on and off joins a gym/ does yoga, tries to eat healthy. Makes a lot of smoothies with sugary fruits and yogurt and then acts likes she's eating right.
>>
>>36628636

oops, wrong thread.

But, yeah I do between 60-100 minutes of running every day, while carrying 10 kg's of weights and it has definitely built my stamina up high. Only problem with it are just the skin deep trauma my feet endure. I had a body horror moment. a nail on one of my toes was hanging of completely so I clipped away at it, only to discover I had another nail growing under the dying one.
>>
>>36628135
You don't need to eat anything. You'll want to pass out because you're sucking wind, not because you didn't eat enough.

>>36628197
Your protein shakes (if you use them elsewhere) should have ~120 calories for the 30 grams of protein you get in a scoop. Did you get something with a bunch of extra sugar in it? That's okay if you're a skel trying to add weight, but no good otherwise.
>>
>>36624377
I hate it
>>
File: 1433860144847.jpg (94 KB, 960x720) Image search: [Google]
1433860144847.jpg
94 KB, 960x720
Runner guys, do you use heart-rate monitor when jogging? Do those things make your running any better?
>>
>>36630830
It doesn't improve anything, why would it?
>>
>>36631776
Something something heart-rate always at optimal level.

Dunno really if knowing it makes running better.
>>
>>36630830
I would buy one just for fun, but the last time I checked the wrist-mounted ones were really inaccurate and I don't feel like wearing a chest strap. Maybe things have changed.
>>
>>36627845
Stop running heal to toe
>>
>>36627845
Well generally this means you're not accommodated to the distance you're currently running or either your pace is a little too much so you're over exerting.

Take it a little easier and focus more on your form with ground contact.
>>
>>36627617
Your stupidity is impressive
>>
>>36627661
Sorting out your diet would be the priority to get results quickest but there is no bad time to get back into the gym, dont think you need to lose weight first.
The good thing about a gym is that it will give you variety which can help motivation, when I was overweight my body couldnt handle running more than 2-3 days a week, I would just be too sore, and this was too easy for me to make excuses for why i needed 'rest' days.
>>
>>36628600
Not everyone wants a slim feminine physique
>>
>tfw I can run fine but my left hip and knee will be sore for the next 2 days.
>forever bound to ellipticals and bikes
I just want to be able to fun a 5k without having to worry about my shitty alignment issues.
>>
Honestly it feels pretty good to be in basic shape, like the difference between being able to run a 5k and having to walk after 2 minutes is really noticable in everyday life. Of course it doesnt matter for looks, but it feels good.
>>
I just ran a 10k today with a thousand other people and it was the greatest feel I had. Lifting doesn't even come close
>>
>>36630830
I highly recommend a HRM. Since I started using it I realised I was running way too hard on most of my workouts. Once I learnt to keep my heart rate in certain zones, my recovery and performance greatly improved.
>>
What major department stores carry NB minimus? I'm researching for some online, but I can't find any.
>>
>>36635557
Also, what are some great heel low drop shoes.
>>
>>36626040
I commend you for your effort, but if you go full out and destroy yourself lifting weights (especially doing squats and deadlifts in the same session) the same day you're doing cardio, something makes me think you aren't doing very heavy weights. And overtraining exists. But you can be smart about it. And everyone should, ideally, combine running and lifting
>>
>>36624384

how old are you? it's ok, though, either way...a sub-20 5k isn't worth anything unless you're sub-15 and competing. i got down to just under 18 and realized it's not even worth it to keep it there. the health benefits are far shadowed by what you do to your body and i didn't even have a good time. if you're just looking to run to stay fit and healthy a low to mid 20s 5k is sufficient. don't let anybody tell you otherwise.
>>
>>36635726
Something makes me think you are a faggot, but thanks anyway for the advice Dr. Phill.
>>
>>36637181
>I lift baby weights and I run
>everyone can do the same
Good job. Dat 1 plate squat sure toughened you up, I see. You're even highly resistant to someone reasoning out you're a rail thin skeleton who jogs after the babyweights. Props.
>>
>>36628600
No, you don't. Most boxers don't even do that shit.

You should only do 1 hour daily if you're actually in competitions for running.
>>
>>36624384
every week you take off is around a 10% loss in ability when it comes to running/sprinting
>>
>>36637454
Bullshit

I took two months off for some major knee injury that had me walking with a cane and knee brace and was able to complete the same distance I always did upon returb, but slightly slower and more winded. The very next run I was back up to par.
>>
>>36627599
I don't think I've ever seen anyone on here say running will give you a good body.

I've also never heard anyone who was in shape say something like 'running is boring'. If you want to be fit, running is essential.
>>
>>36637328
Your reading comprehension is amazing, keep hitting those weights instead of the books kid.
>>
>>36637328
You are in a running thread
Thread replies: 76
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.