[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How do I work towards a pullup if I cannot do a pullup?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 3
File: rookie-mistakes-the-pullup-main.jpg (23 KB, 1188x1028) Image search: [Google]
rookie-mistakes-the-pullup-main.jpg
23 KB, 1188x1028
How do I work towards a pullup if I cannot do a pullup?
>>
>>36602544
lat pulldown

kill your elf
>>
>>36602544
kill yourself
>>
>>36602544
Negatives
>>
I don't know. I forgot.

All I remember is one day I got sick of being a little monkey bitch swinging around on the lat-pulldown and decided to start trying to do chinups and pullups and then after a few months went by I was repping them out easily and moved onto weighted pullups & chinups.

All I can say is stop fucking around on the lat pull downs and all those cable shit row machines. They serve no purprose besides gains goblin' people and just cause people to have fuckarounditis.
>>
>>36602584
How many should I aim for a day?
If I start in the 'up' position, I can go down about half way and do two 'baby' chinups

>>36602613
I am currently doing 'baby' chinups. I start in the up position, drop down about half way and pull myself up and repeat once or twice.

Will dead hanging help at all?
>>
>>36602552
why elf?
>>
>>36602544

First and foremost - lose weight.

If you're obese, work on lat-pulldowns while you cut down.

Once you've lost some weight go with >>36602584
>>
>>36602544

lat pull down machine progression

straight arm pull downs

Narrow grip is easier than wide grip, in general, because wide grip hits your lats more than your biceps.
>>
>>36602629
>Will dead hanging help at all?
Might help grip strength but apart from that no, you're not contracting any muscled used to pull yourself up
>>
Do a fuckload of pushups. Sounds dumb but it will help you with pullups.
>>
>>36602640
>lat pull down machine progression

I'd like to formally disagree with your opinion. I personally found that doing lat pulldowns did not carry over at all in the slightest to doing bodyweight chinups or pullups.

When I first started lifting, I could barely do 1 chinup or pullup. So I decided to just do pulldowns. After 1 full year of progressively overloading on pulldowns I was doing more than my bodyweight on the pulldown machine. I decided to try chinups again and I still only barely do 1 chinup or pullup.

That is when I decided to drop pulldowns from my routine all together and focus strictly on learning how to do bodyweight pullups/chinups. Now I can do sets of 15 chinups and 10-12 pullup very easily after a bout 8 months of learning how to do them and overloading on them.

If someone asks me they want to get strong enough to do chinups and pullups I would tell them just to do chinups and pullups, even if they can only do a single 0.5 rep. They can work on that and progress. Leave the lat pulldowns for the old ladies and fat old man.
>>
>>36602640
You're also categorically wrong on wide hitting your lats more. Close grip allows you to get a full stretch at the top of the rep and activates the muscle more
This is proven with EMG. Get learnt faget.
>>
>>36602703
EMG can get fucked. Personal preference is king.
>>
what are the pullups of legs? squats?
>>
File: 1400128088070.jpg (27 KB, 550x281) Image search: [Google]
1400128088070.jpg
27 KB, 550x281
>>36603271
>>
>>36603290
u wat
>>
>>36603359
you know, a good bodyweight exercise which trains more than one muscle group and which is easy to extend with additional weight
pull ups are praised somewhat and I wonder if there's something similar but for legs
>>
>>36603377
Your legs are designed to hold your bodyweight all of the time. It's hard to have a difficult enough bodyweight exercise for your legs because your bodyweight is already the baseline.
>>
>>36602685
This. I also could do 1.5 chinups and 1 pullup with all my strength, but now after 2 months I can do about 7 chinups and 5 pullups. What I can suggest is to use a chair and help your chinups with one leg. Do as many pullups as you can without the chair, then use the chair to do few more until failure.
>>
you guys must have some shitty athletic ability if you cannot do a single pull up

thats literally spaghetti arm no strength tier
>>
you dont need to do any other exercises

all you need to do is keeping doing pull ups until you are able to do one more than you did last time . that is the key

i started off weak as shit maybe could do about 4 pullups but just done them consistently and can now do 20 perfect form from dead hang position
>>
>>36603384
I guess that's true but something like one legged squat is somewhat impossible for me e.g.
>>
>>36602685
Damn. How is that even possible? I do cable pulldowns because it's easier than having to use one of those weight belts. Hmm
>>
>>36603414
You can do body weight split squats though, can't you?
>>
2 plate weighted pull-ups

feels good man
>>
>>36603521
yes. but I feel this is getting off topic.
guess my question didn't make too much sense.
>>
>>36603619
jefferson squats, goblet squats, lunges
>>
>>36602544
You do inverted rows or less ROM. Strict pull ups are a shit tier meme exercise that will wreck your rotator cuffs.
>>
>>36602544
grease the groove with negatives until you can do one then gtg chinups (chinups are easier)
>>
I'm doing the same right now op.

Basically what I've read it standing on a bench or jumping to then dangle at the full lockout position at top of movement for as long as you can a few times. Do this for some time, give doing pull ups a try again and just work up from there.

Pretty sure it's doing something. My lats were aching tues+weds and a little thursday
>>
File: 1454612363784.png (245 KB, 685x852) Image search: [Google]
1454612363784.png
245 KB, 685x852
>>36603271
>>
>>36602552
>kill jester
>>
>>36603401

Most people can't do a single pullup. It's not that uncommon
>>
>>36603919
>>36603885
>>36603271
>>36603348
>>36602552
>>36602634
Ok! That's a wrap guys.
4Chan is over, we've officially created the best thread on the internet.
There is no higher point.
>>
>>36603961
GG everyone. Mootwo, play us off.
>>
>>36603674

Enjoy elbow pain
>>
http://scoobysworkshop.com/pullups-for-total-beginners/

come on, bro

>select all images with airplanes
>>
i can do 10 strict pullups but i only deadlift 300 pounds, and when i look at myself in the mirror i have a fat belly and i weigh 80+kgs being a manlet. Im so confused.
Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.