[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
New Rip video. Thoughts? https://youtu.be/qvEn6ZbfqT8
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 3
File: 20160331_600.jpg (70 KB, 600x337) Image search: [Google]
20160331_600.jpg
70 KB, 600x337
New Rip video. Thoughts?

https://youtu.be/qvEn6ZbfqT8
>>
>>36601963
i mean, it makes a shitload of sense.

are you asking me my thoughts on the video itself? (sound, visuals/quality)

or

are you asking me if his advice is accurate?
>>
>>36601985
The second, and then why powerlifters don't squat the way rip teaches
>>
>>36602023
powerlifters develop over long periods and alter correct movements to force the highest possible weight and compensate for their own personal structure being pushed to the highest possible point of stress

unless you are a world class powerlifter, Rip is right, do what he says, maintain correct form
>>
>>36602023
i think powerlifters lift whatever way gets the weight up or down. some even have their own "form" that helps them lift a certain way, or if they have had injuries in the past, they may lift in an unorthodox manner to avoid a bad side/weakness.

weightlifters need to be more exact when it comes to form
>>
>>36602071
>>36602077
This form seems like a recipe for a squat morning when the weight gets heavy
>>
File: 1459455053955.png (239 KB, 637x487) Image search: [Google]
1459455053955.png
239 KB, 637x487
>>
Why the fuck would I want to train my back muscles in the squat? If I want to train my spinal erectors, I'll do pulls or deadlifts. Maybe it's because I'm a weightlifter, but an upright torso in the squat is pretty integral, and this head and torso down squat-morning that Rip advocates is totally counterintuitive. For powerlifting or general strength training, this may be okay. But clearly for Rip, he's right and all those Russian and Bulgarian and Chinese coaches are training their lifters to squat wrong.
>>
>>36602023

Powerlifters don't squat the way Rip teaches because they're chasing different goals. Rip wants to get beginners strong overall as easily as possible (remember, his background is mostly in taking teenagers and getting them in a position to not die on the football field). Powerlifters want a big 1RM squat/dead/bench and fuck anything else.
>>
>>36602121
Wouldn't that imply that the form he teaches put the user at a mechanical disadvantage compared to powerlifting squat?
>>
>>36602106
It's only a squatmorning of the hips come up faster than the shoulders. As long as the back angle doesn't change coming out of the hole, there is no danger in this. Strong tight abs will help.
>>
>>36602138

Generally yes (at least for heavy singles - optimal technique for rep work isn't always optimal for maxing out), but powerlifting form tends to be very specific to the individual lifter and not always that applicable to non-powerlifters. For everyone else, increasing their numbers is a means to an end (which means you want that increase to actually be from getting stronger in a way that transfers to whatever it is you're trying to accomplish) whereas for powerlifters it is the end - if they can push their bench up fifty pounds by form tweaks and get absolutely no increase on anything else? That's a bargain for them but not very useful for anyone else.
>>
>>36602118
>>36602106
truth

Listen to the people who lift fucktons of weight and win gold medals for advice on the proper way to do exercises.
>>
>>36602191
Why would I listen to the guy who only squats to get better at cleans and snatches? My goal is general strength.
>>
>>36602205
Then listen to powerlifters. btw, oly lifters only backsquat to get stronger.
>>
>>36602205
Because the guys that only squat to increase their snatch and clean (and by extension their general strength) squat a shit ton. Mart Seim squats 400kgs at 145kgs, Tian Tao does 302kgs at 85kgs, etc.
>>
>>36602177
I see, thank you for the explanation. But if the goal is to build strength in a safe manner why teach a form that has a higher risk of a squat morning? Isn't safety a major concern. I myself have been squatting like rip and now that the weight is heavy I have a lot harder time preventing myself from squat morning when I squat in this way. I have switched to something much closer to a powerlifting squat because of this and my back couldn't be happier.
>>
>>36602392

Every form of squat tends to go into a squat morning when near failure. That's just the nature of the beast.

Aside, every squat form is basically a tradeoff between back stress, hip stress and knee stress. Rip likes his form, if you've found one that works better for you use it. Ain't many universals when it comes to ideal form.
>>
File: CWS_435.webm (3 MB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
CWS_435.webm
3 MB, 1280x720
>>36602023
Powerlifters do squat this way, more or less. Some of the best squatters, however, have short femurs. This allows for a more upright posture even with similar squat mechanics of us long femured lanklets

>>36602071
P much this

>>36602118
As rippe said, you train your back AND your legs.
>I'm a weightlifter
So? You train high bar to emulate the body position in the catch of a snatch. Low bar incorporates more muscle. Involving the back

>>36602177
Generally yes (at least for heavy singles - optimal technique for rep work isn't always optimal for maxing out)
Oh god. So wrong. You train the way you're supposed to do your 1rm. To become better at the movement.
>if they can push their bench up fifty pounds by form tweaks and get absolutely no increase on anything else? That's a bargain for them but not very useful for anyone else.
Very, very few people have such bad form that they can add 50lbs to their bench without having to gain muscle

>>36602427
>Every form of squat tends to go into a squat morning when near failure. That's just the nature of the beast.
'no'
Chad Wesley Smith (webm) along with other phenomenal squatters say that their most technically sound squats are what are all the records

>Aside, every squat form is basically a tradeoff between back stress, hip stress and knee stress.
This is right
>Rip likes his form, if you've found one that works better for you use it. Ain't many universals when it comes to ideal form.
Also right
>>
>>36602484

What I meant is "the form that will give you the biggest 1RM' and "the form that will gives you the biggest 10RM/most reps with X weight/etc" often aren't the same thing, as anyone who's tried to hold a hard bench arch for a long set will attest.
>>
>>36602503
I disagree. Your strongest position is just that and you shouldn't train a position differently

If you can't hold your arch, that's considered form breakdown and you're beyond the useful duration of your set.
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.