[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Anybody take a weight training class at college? What are your
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 5
File: 1458186809395.jpg (49 KB, 460x681) Image search: [Google]
1458186809395.jpg
49 KB, 460x681
Anybody take a weight training class at college? What are your thoughts on this? I want to start lifting but I don't want to learn from a book/the internet.

Pic not related
>>
File: upside down costanza.jpg (7 KB, 200x200) Image search: [Google]
upside down costanza.jpg
7 KB, 200x200
>weight training class
>>
>>36601041
Yeah?
>>
>>36601062
the costanza implies i am belittling you

why the fuck would you need a class? you think arnold got big taking body building classes? just read shit like the sticky and go
>>
File: costanza belittles.jpg (24 KB, 375x411) Image search: [Google]
costanza belittles.jpg
24 KB, 375x411
>>36601062
also here's a better costanza

fag
>>
File: 1427334535166.jpg (16 KB, 600x337) Image search: [Google]
1427334535166.jpg
16 KB, 600x337
>>36601037
I took one because I need some gym credits and I figured why not? The class was just measuring how many push ups and other basic stuff you could do.

After that he just let us loose and gave us free reign to work out for an hour. It was a solid gym, good free weight area, power cage, squat rack a bunch of benches for bench press, and pretty much any machine you could want. I enjoyed that class.
>>
>>36601073
Never seen that meme before, but I can read greentext. I will read the sticky, still I feel like having someone who knows what they're doing available to critique me through the basics would be a good thing.
>>
>>36601041
>>36601073
>not wanting free credits
>>
>>36601105
>The class was just measuring how many push ups and other basic stuff you could do
The FIRST class, my B.
>>
>>36601105
They didn't teach lifting?
>>
I might take a ballet class next semester just to fill my schedule

Might help with flexibility too
>>
I did last semester, but only as a guaranteed hour in the gym three times a week.
The coach was good but didn't really talk about lifting weights; he was more focused on diet and lifestyle changes for fitness

Probably once a week he would have everyone do HIIT or 15 minutes of abs, but the rest of the time he let us do what we wanted
>>
I did, but that was like 8 years ago when I wasn't into weightlifting so I didn't take it seriously at all and didn't workout outside of the 1 class/week (so obviously nothing of value happened). It was just for the easy gym credits.

Now that I do know what I'm doing, I can safely say that class was absolute shit and it's a good thing I didn't really care. If you're actually going to workout anyway and need the credits, you can't go wrong by taking the class, it's going to be free credits and it frees up one day for you to workout. I doubt the information will be any good however.
>>
>>36601037
>need credits
>take weight training class at cc
>class is at 7 am
>weight room is underground
>all the weights are pre 1950
>cold af steel
>teacher is a fat lady
>she sits on her ass and watches tv while we lift
>I literally ask the bug dudes what to do
>the point me in the right direction
>leave that room erryday at 830, smoke bowl in my truck then go home and shower
>best class I ever did take
>>
>>36601129
>>36601133

thanks, I'm gonna do it and I'll take it with a grain of salt
>>
>>36601126
They did, he taught how to do proper reps and about how many sets you should do. While everyone was working out he would walk around and if you were fucking up he would help you out with your form.

We had to do a project halfway through the semester about what exercises work various muscles and how those muscles would be used in various daily life activities. I guess they just needed something to grade you on because it was laughably easy.
>>
>>36601073
honestly it could be pretty useful if the teacher knows his stuff and can help OP out with form on compounds and stuff like that. Not sure it would be worth the money though when youtube and form checks exist.
>>
>>36601168
Right on, that's what I'm looking for
>>
>>36601113
The best way to me seems to be using the sticky info and asking coaches about form. I've had to ask some gym mates about form on back row because it's hard for me to tell if I'm doing it right.
Just start and do shit slowly and carefully. You get a feel of what you can do, if you're going too fast, etc. This is why you always start low.
>>
We have a class, but the gym equipment is mostly fad machines. The row machine moves the leg portion with you, so it's essentially a swing set with some weights that do nothing.

The guy who teaches the class is friendly, but it's a super basic class from what I've seen. They have no squat rack, or even space to deadlift in. Worse, the freeweight section is tiny and you'd be hitting your neighbors constantly.

Essentially it teaches the most casual of people what exactly weight training, cardio, and circuits are. They teach form with dumbells, and I keep finding the cream of the idiot crop in there doing some hibbery-jibbery around me.

It's a mess. I learned more from wrestling and my lifting course in high school.
>>
File: 1459400520049.gif (993 KB, 320x265) Image search: [Google]
1459400520049.gif
993 KB, 320x265
>>36601037
That pic is a lie. Its a joke by John Mulaney except the end is slightly different.
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.