[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Running program
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1
File: 1451953901403.jpg (217 KB, 653x554) Image search: [Google]
1451953901403.jpg
217 KB, 653x554
Hey guys, I've been lifting for about a year, I'm 5'11 and 171 pounds, but I've been seriously slacking on cardio because I started as a skeletor (gained about 22 pounds in one year).

I do work out legs, and I do play sports on occasion (tennis, skiing this winter) but I rarely go running.

As a result, I can only run about 3 miles.

However, that's about to change, and as added incentive, I made a bet with my girlfriend (who casually runs 5+ miles) that I would be able to run 6 miles by June 1st.

I need some advice from experienced runners, namely answers to two questions:

1) can you suggest a specific schedule I should follow to make this happen?
2) how difficult would you rate the task I'm facing? It doesn't seem like it should give be too much trouble if I train consistently, but I may be mistaken.

Any additional advice welcome, of course.
>>
The task is easy as fuck and just casually running once or twice a week should cut it.

Add jumping rope to your training if you don't want to leave home.
>>
Just run. Everytime you go out for a jog you will notice you will find yourself running more and more time. It's that easy bro. I usually run 3-4 times a week. Started by getting almost dead after 20 minutes of light running, I could run 1+ h easily after 3 weeks.
>>
>>36593926
>>36593933

Oh wow. Ok. I can do 2-3 times per week, easy. I thought there would be more to it, like running at different paces, doing intervals etc.
>>
>>36593944
You can go for the couch to 5k or something like that, but I don't think it's that useful unless you are a fatfuck who dies after 2 minutes of running, but that's not the case
>>
Hijacking this thread to ask a question.

Do any of you runners have an idea of why I'm able to do 1 hour+ easily on an elliptical, but I can't jog for more than like 15 minutes?

I mean, I don't slack on cardio, and every other version of cardio (stair climbing, swimming, cycling, you name it) I'm fantastic at, and I can do it seemingly forever.
>>
>>36593971

OP here. Shot in the dark, but maybe your form is different? Perhaps you're leaning forward on the elliptical but not when running outside?

As a sidenote, how long can you swim breaststroke?
>>
>>36594182
I don't know. I don't normally (or ever) swim breaststroke.
>>
>>36593971
Few questions:

Are you running in your neighborhood? Does it have an incline, even if it's ever so slight?
How hard are your feet hitting the ground?
What kind of shoes?
The elliptical is specifically designed to avoid putting a lot pressure on your joints, as well as make it easier to lift your legs up. Plus you don't use your calf as much, since you're not really pushing against anything.
>>
>>36594875
I run on trails whenever I'm outdoors. But this also is the case when I'm on a treadmill, which is how I normally run.

When I run on a treadmill, I run at a slight incline, but nothing that would explain my patheticness.

Shoes are generally nike running shoes, but I don't remember what kind.

I realize that the impact is different, but it seems impossible that something as simple as impact makes such a huge difference in what feels like cardiovascular fitness. Like, I'm out of breath.
>>
>>36594911
How high of an incline? I find that you need at least a 3% incline just to simulate running on a flat surface. Why? Because a treadmill moves the ground under you and you keep up with it, so your calves don't really get used for pushing since it's not pushing forwards, just enough to not fall behind. All the other cardio except swimming is kind of easy on the large muscles of your legs. Swimming's biggest benefit is that it exercise your whole body if you truly push for that. Doggy paddling is amazingly hard for long distances.
>>
>>36595112
it's not very much. On the treadmill, it's either 1.5 or 3.5, but I don't know what that means because they aren't percentages.

Stair climbing is all large leg muscles (calves, quads and glutes), and it's also my favorite form of cardio, maybe because it's more about enduring muscular tiredness than it is getting enough oxygen.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.