[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Quitting smoking general
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 4
File: Smoking.jpg (25 KB, 615x410) Image search: [Google]
Smoking.jpg
25 KB, 615x410
>That post workout smoke
I've been smoking for about four years. I smoke anywhere from 1/2-3/4ths a pack a day. The numbers gone up and down depending on how stressed I am/how much driving I do.
I want to quit. What's the best method? I've considered vaping. How much does vaping cost in comparison to smoking?
>Gains goblin pls go
>>
>>36593409
I spend about $20/week, and I vape constantly. It's a rough transition, but it's definitely worth it.
>>
>>36593409
I smoked from around 17-19 yo, what got me to quit was realizing how depressing/disgusting it is. It's like choosing to slowly off yourself. Also, grills in general don't dig smokers. My advice would be don't fall for the vape meme. Just focus on slowly quitting and work up to it. It takes time. Some people can quit cold turkey but that's rare. My last stogie was on Christmas I was so drunk that I bought a pack of my old favorites American Spirit Blacks and when I woke up I threw the pack out.
>>
>>36593409
Just vape. Get a good kit and buy your stuff from these guys as it won't fucking kill you. It's really easy to learn how to mix your own shit.
http://wholesale.heartlandvapes.com/
>>
>>36593594
Coming from a 6 year pack a day smoker who went to vaping for about 5 months weaning off the nicotine level to nothing, now I rarely pick it up unless I'm going out where I know there will be people smoking
>>
File: post.jpg (43 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
post.jpg
43 KB, 480x360
You can quit cold turkey, I believe in you.
>>
>>36593409
Cold turkey. Honestly not bragging but it isn't as hard as people make it out to be of you have the tiniest bit of willpower. Also I looked at pictures of those nasty throat holes when I had cravings. That shit grosses me out. Former pack a day smoker, good luck anon.
>>
>>36593594
Thanks. I've really been looking into vaping. I think it could be useful quitting cigs cold turkey. Keep the vape useage down to a minimum, just when I really need a few puffs to keep from lighting one up
>>
Quit in november last year after 5 years. Cold turkey is the best, just keep a lot of aspirin around, because I remember that the first 3days I had the worst head aches ever.
>>
take a shit load of acid or shrooms in a dark room
>>
Hi OP I quit 7 months ago after 5 years smoking.... I think you have to find a method that works for you but here was mine
I replaced cigs with nicotine mouth spray, it didn't really satisfy the craving at first so I would double dose... I think the more important role it played was that even tho I was on more nicotine after 30 days the habbit was gone so I tapered off the nicotine and without the habbit to enforce it I found it easy to resist.
Good luck bro the health gains when you finally quit are incredible.

>also when I was craving I looked up all the short and long term benefits of quitting to motivate myself
>>
>>36593594
>tfw this is the most taboo hobby on 4chan

Shit sucks relying on digg 2.0 for diy and other discussions

>>36593690
14 years and vaping fixed it. Just buy a beginner's kit like the innoken endura pens or joytech aio and vape alongside smoking. I quit because cigarettes started tasting like ass in comparison.
>>
>>36593409
I honestly don't even know how I quit. One night I just ran out of cigs and told myself "I'll pick up a pack tomorrow" and 4 months later I still haven't picked up that pack and haven't smoked since.
>>
>>36593690
I advise a different route to vaping, it's better for you yes but it's the exact same habbit so your not quitting shit, also you might end up using more nicotine as it's more convienient
>>
>>36593409
I recommend sugar free gum, op. Smoking was just a habit that occurred without thinking, and gum helped me ease off the tobacco jew.
>>
Just fucking stop. Been smoking a packet a day for 7 years. Quit one day for a grill (current wife). No vape, no nicotine gum or anything. It's never easy. The sooner you realize that the better. Good luck.
>>
My mother's husband stopped smoking instantly and without anyhelp when he learnt he had to provide for his new born wife's son.
It takes a real man to do this kind of thing. I deeply respect him, cigarettes are really expensive and a strain on the household budget
>>
Doesn't mean that there aren't easier ways to quit, especially if you have an addictive personality. I'm not using it as an excuse, it's just part of who I am. I latch onto things very easily and if I can't have something, I go crazy thinking about it until something else comes along to replace it.

Vale pens worked really well for me, as I was more addicted to the "smoking" habit than I was the nicotine itself. Vaping didn't have any nicotine associated with it, but let me keep the "habit" for a bit longer, until it just kind of lost its appeal (since I wasn't getting any nicotine out of it).

I just see it as breaking it down into a more basic set of additions or habits, and tackling them one by one.
>>
How to quit?

1.Find a reason to quit, something important or even trivial and hang onto that.

2.Get a lot of sugary and or fatty foods.

3.Go cold turkey for a week.

4.Clean your home workspaces vehicles even your yard of all cigarette buts, ash, and rolling papers everything. Then get rid of the cigarette smell.

5.Stop doing non essential things that you would normally do when smoking.

6.Stop hanging out with people who smoke a lot for a while.

7.Realize that you are a smoker for the rest of your life and you will have occasional cravings.
Just remember how bad smoking felt and the reasons you quit and how good you feel now.
It's tough and it will suck ass.
Everyone deals with it differently.

I ended up flip flopping between gorging on cookies bacon, hatefucking fat chicks in between jack off sessions and working out for hours at a time.
I was a fucking mess.
>>
>>36594060
Was directed to these:

>>36593526
>>36593674
>>36593746
>>36594000
>>36594048

Yeah, things can be difficult if you're in a difficult situation. But there's zero point in making something more difficult for yourself that you don't have to just to feel like a "real man". If vaping makes it easier and doesn't impose a financial burden, don't worry about it.
>>
>>36593409
The best way to quit is to cold turkey and never look back. It gives you a stronger sense of purpose to completely cold turkey because it's a stronger commitment.

It will be shit, but just replace the habit with something positive. Like when you crave a cigarette, drink a big glass of water instead. Sounds silly but works well.
>>
How do some people get so addicted to smoking? I mean like if I've had stressful day or I'm going out with friends then of course I will smoke 1-4 cigarettes, but then I can go months without smoking or really thinking about it.
>>
>>36594207
It's a literal chemical dependency. A few cigs every 4 months will hardly build an addiction. Smoke a pack a day for a year or two and then try to quit.
I went cold turkey. Absolutely miserable experience. I'll smoke the ocassional dart if I'm out drinking with friends but it's all of maybe 3 cigarettes a year now. Good luck OP
>>
>started smoking at 13
>pack a day for longer than you've been alive
>quit cold turkey, in the middle of the work week, in the middle of a pack

That was eight years ago. I was tempted once on vacation seven years ago, but absolutely nothing. I'd tried to quit before, but it was all bullshit. I was visited by the "put up or shut up" spirit of truth, and just fucking quit. No fanfare, no obsessive counting of the days, I was just a smoker one day, and a non-smoker the next.

Then I gained 30 pounds. I still have the clothes I may never wear again. At least they don't smell like smoke, and being a fat ass is easier to change than lung cancer.
>>
Quit cold turkey back in December after about 7 years of smoking. The hardest part for me was not associating it with things like a post workout smoke, after meal smoke, etc. Once you get past that it's just the physical withdrawal symptoms which aren't that bad.
>>
Get a weed vape and pipe tobacco is dirt cheap.
>>
>>36594207
If you start it when you're very young and build a habit, for example smoking before school, at recess, at lunch and after school, every school day for years, the habit sticks, and once the habit is formed and you smoke regularly, the chemicals in cigarettes have already begun to do their work. Your body requires nicotine in order to continue functioning as you are now accustomed to functioning. Without it, you begin to feel ill, irritable, anxious, etc.
I smoked for years but quit. I broke the habit first, then quit the chemicals cold turkey. People who try to quit the chemical dependence without first breaking the habit will have a much harder time. As it was for me, I smoked at different times and resisted smoking in usual times and circumstances and slowly reduced my intake over about three months then cut from a half pack to nothing. After the first few days it was relatively easy, and now I hardly ever yet cravings. I smoked for 8 years and have been quit for 2.
>>
It's important to understand what nicotine actually does to your brain when you smoke it.

This stuff dampens activity in the thalamus, which in-turn dampens activity in the corpus colosum. This is the nerve that runs along the underside of your brain; it facilitates communication between the left and right hemispheres.

Tobacco is a stimulant in small doses because it physically quiets the 'conversation' of your thoughts. This allows for increased focus and concentration. At high doses nicotine is actually a downer, at tremendous doses it can actually cause hallucinations.

When you quit tobacco, the withdrawal is a combination of two things:

>your dopamine levels are low due to the loss of a dopamine-producing habit - causing you to be irritable
>there is no more dam between the left and right hemispheres to keep negative thoughts from spiraling out of control

For extended smokers, you're finally allowing natural brain-waves to crackle electrically through your skull for the first time in years. This resonation can cause head-aches, blurry-vision, nausea, so on and so forth.

That's why quitting tobacco hinges entirely on whether or not you're ready to quit. Your whole brain has to be on board.

To quit, you have to have at the habit. Check yourself mentally whenever you're doing something you used to do while smoking - driving in traffic is the worst offender here, personally. It also helps to find habits which do not have 'pre-programmed' smoke-breaks. Keep your brain occupied and it won't recognize that it's time to smoke.

Good luck.
>>
File: images (86).jpg (18 KB, 511x288) Image search: [Google]
images (86).jpg
18 KB, 511x288
>>36593409
Cold turkey is the only way to do it.

Yes vaping can be safe. But at the end of the day you are still a nicotine addict.

Please watch this. This guy is just a genuinely nice doctor unlike shillmet Oz.

https://youtu.be/z16vhtjWKL0
>>
>>36594968
>nicotine addict
Should google it and see that nicotine is not addictive in any way. Hurr durrr it's not the thousands of carcinogenic chemicals and additives I'm addicted to from cigarettes, it must be nicotine!
>>
>>36594846
I've heard the maois were more relevant to reinforcement. Nicotine is misunderstood and not the harm source but its delivery way is.
>>
>>36595008
Let me guess.
You own a vape shop.

Yes. The additives multiply the effects of addiction, like pyrazine in tobbacco.
http://m.tobaccocontrol.bmj.com/content/early/2015/05/03/tobaccocontrol-2014-051943

But dude.. you seriously think just nicotine isn't addictive at all?

Most of the articles that say pure nicotine is not addictive are usually linked to vapes in some way..

Right now I'm trying to find studies that analyze effects of pure nicotine and its addiction effects. Can't find any.

Not hating. Genuinely curious.
>>
>>36595008
Not him, but you are fucking retarded.
>>
>>36595008
Nicotine has physically addictive properties as well as mental. Please shut the fuck up before you appear any stupider.
>>
>>36594108
I don't think I'm more of a man for going cold turkey. It's just that I tried vaping to quit a few times and my battery would die while I was out, which led me to just buying cigs. If it works for other people, cool beans.
>>
>>36595008
Youre a moron who deserves to die of lung cancer.
>>
>>36594505
>Not using the increased appetite for mad gains

Breh...
>>
>>36595008
This same person is probably giving some poor anon fitness advice somewhere.
>>
>>36593409
I smoked for 7 years, about a pack a day. I switched to chewing tobacco for a few months. then to snus.
now Im tobacco free.
>feels good mayne
>>
Senpai I was the same as you

I was a senior in highschool last year, smoking probs about 1/2 pack a day for two years cause a deli near my school sold single cigarettes

I was lucky enough to get a decent vape ($80) from my friend for free

started off with 3mg of niccotine juices and havent smoked in a month now

I would smoke newports, each of with have like 1.5 mg of niccotine, and I switched to 3mg bottles of juice, each of which takes me like 4 days to finish

SO ITS LIT FAMILIA
>>
>>36595142
Clinical hypnotist here. For what it's worth, beyond the chemical addiction (which is negligible compared to alcohol or opiates), there's several key factors which drive smoking:

>habit
>identity (I am a smoker)
>emotional reasons (for example, belonging to a group that smokes, dealing with stress, and such)
>secondary gain (having a smoke break, a time to just take a break and have a smoke, etc)
>fear of side-effects of quitting (such as gaining weight)

Once all of those things are dissolved, a person can just stop smoking and never go back.

Oh and some people (like myself, in the past) smoke to deal with pain. I used to get massive migraines, and tobacco helped a lot with it. Have since fixed them, and quit (although I do appreciate a smoke in social contexts).
>>
>>36593409
only cold turkey did it for me. Tried with many substitutes, but always came back for a smoke. Then I just told myself that i don't need this shit and managed to quit. It's not that hard as some people claim. Also, the biggest fear for most people is that without a cig, their life will change drastically, to the point that it becomes scary to quit smoking. Nothing's gonna change. Well except being healthier
>>
>>36595348
>Clinical hypnotist
When do you get your Tarot Card certificate Esmerelda
>>
It's easy.
1. We are not living in the 60's, we are not clueless anymore about it's effect, so there's no excuse.
2. People that smoke are people that want to kill the themselves but don't got the balls to do it.
>>
>>36595348
Have you ever used deep regression hypnosis on alien abductees?
>>
Take up cardio while quitting for the first few weeks, it helps you notice the transition from smoker to non-smoker which keeps you motivated to stop because you'd forgotten how good it feels.
>>
>>36595479
No. I don't do that kinda thing, for several reasons.

>I'm not interested, nor do I believe in any of that.

>Could cause false memories and make people actually believe that they were abducted by aliens. (False memories in general are easy to avoid using proper protocol, however abductees have a tendency to add and mix things up during the process, because of secondary gain - they want to be special, in most cases)

>It's not conducive to my reputation (I specialize specifically in mental disorders, schizophrenia and DID in particular).

>Most "abductees" can't afford my rates.
>>
>>36595524
Do you have any colleagues that have done it?
>>
>>36595400

>thinking hypnotism is bullshit

Just because you don't understand how something works doesn't make it magic or bullshit
>>
>>36595565
Nope. I explicitly do not associate with whackjobs.

I'm certain you're aware of the mess caused by irresponsible
psychotherapists in the 90's, surrounding the Satanic Ritual
Abuse panic.

That was caused specifically because they weren't careful
to avoid leading their clients in various directions.

As an example, if there's a hypnotist and a hypnotee, and
they're doing regression, this is more-or-less how it
should go:

3...2...1. Is it day or night?
>night
Are you inside or outside?
>inside
Are you alone or with somebody?
>with my uncle
And what's happening?
>......

You get the idea. The above is how it should go according
to protocol. Clear and concise, without suggesting anything.

On the other hand, this is how it would go if the
"therapist" wasn't properly trained:

3...2...1. Is it day or night?
>night
Are you inside or outside?
>inside
Are you alone or with somebody?
>with my uncle
Is your uncle touching you in inappropriate places?
>....(usually a yes would follow)

This is because a person in deep hypnosis is extremely
suggestible, and what happens is, they literally pick up
and adjust their memory in order to answer the question
stated.

So in the latter case, a yes is a yes, but a no only means
that the uncle isn't touching them in inappropriate places,
it doesn't at all mean the uncle isn't touching the client
at all.

>>36595630
On that note...

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0BwLJ8mj-ZuoGc0NKUEtoLTBmQXc&usp=sharing
>>
>>36593409
i don't smoke much, so i don't really care enough to stop, it don't affect my cardio or my lifts, so i'm ok with smoking half a pack once a month in a party or when i hangout with someone that smokes
>>
just switched to a nice $50 vape starter kit. i'm going into this from half a pack a day, been two weeks so far and going great. ama
>>
Feel. Not everyone feels the same about everything. But how does it feel for a decision to be common sense? It feels like unshakable truth; out of the question, undeserving of debate. Absolute congruity with one's feels at one moment in time with a conceptual decision to be made which stops being a matter of decision (stops matter-ing, e.g. anxiety) the moment it is felt to be common sense.

Felt. There is much -logical- truth to be found and understood in this world but very little palpable truth in comparison. For the fuckwit there is Buddhism. For the average man, there is common sense. This is good enough and will serve as our starting point and what we must cultivate in order to have a shot at the type of self control that is infinitely superior to one derived from self-chastisement and asceticism.

Feels are the only thing we crave. Anyone who thinks in terms of mind over matter, willpower, just do it etc. derives a sense of pride and accomplishment from their act of willpower and confuses that with willpower itself.

Guy A: Just do it (tm), worked for me (I felt it working, inwards). Guy B: Thanks for the advice asshole now I'm depressed (I did not feel it working) and have even lower self-esteem (result of incongruity)
>>
>>36594846
Citation Needed
Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.