[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
hey /fit/, what do you think about kettlebells?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 3
File: 0007434585079_500X500[1].jpg (55 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
0007434585079_500X500[1].jpg
55 KB, 500x500
hey /fit/,

what do you think about kettlebells?
>>
Fun to play with. Easy to fuck your shit up with. Pretty limited when it comes to making gains with
>>
File: 1455862629111.webm (2 MB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
1455862629111.webm
2 MB, 400x400
>>36572629
>>
>>36572699
that looks utterly ridiculous

>>36572676
>Pretty limited when it comes to making gains with
shit

why's it limited? if you don't mind me asking
>>
>>36572890
Realisticaly you can only do shrugs, calf raises, farmer's walks and suitcase deadlifts with them, even if there are other exercises incorporating them you can't rotate them due to the center of mass being off center, unlike dumbbells
>>
>>36572629
Goblet squats are great for helping with high bar squat form
Waiter walks for shoulder stability
Swings for cardio
Lots of other stuff but I use my 45lb kettle bell for those as accessories and get a lot of use out of them
>>
>>36572629
Great for warming up before a workout. Also a fun conditioning tool.
>>
File: CuddlyClassBucket.png (33 KB, 730x290) Image search: [Google]
CuddlyClassBucket.png
33 KB, 730x290
fuck these things theyre a hipster conspiracy to bring back shit like club juggling. I almost cancelled my membership at Golds once I saw them.

but theyre great for crossfit fags to dance around the weight pit, moaning in their spandex.
>>
Great for tossing at niggers
>>
>>36572629
Pretty good if used correctly and not for cross fit shit.

Enter the kettle bell is worth the read.
>>
>>36572890

The problem is that past a certain percentage of your own weight, the common recommended moves become unrealistic.

Try doing swings with 150 lbs, the movement changes completely.

Unilateral pressing or other unilateral movements are limited by your core and shoulders.

If you try to 1 arm strict OHP 50% of your barbell max, you'll probably break your shit off. Kettlebell apologists say "that's just proof that barbells don't hit everything," but the reality is that it's just a shitty lopsided movement that's likely to injure you.

It's no different than making a guy with a 4 plate squat do bodyweight lunges for 2 hours straight and then say "see? he couldn't do it, barbell squats are inferior to bodyweight lunges."

Same shitty logic.

I've tried every shitty meme out there - bands, isometrics, bodyweight, kettlebells, it's all bullshit. Barbells are more ergonomic and make you stronger more safely.
>>
>>36572629
They're fun.
>>
>>36575148
pl stop trying to be helpful on my /fit/

though seriously they're an alright accessory movement but fuck em for a main lifts.
>>
>>36575148
My experience is to the contrary. I work out at a strongman gym and I have found doing swings with the heavier bells (they go up to 203lb) mimic the "snap" of a power clean and have helped with my log clean and stone loading.
>>
>>36575282
Well that's the difference right there - you're doing a lot of heavy bilateral stuff to build up your body's strength and stability, and using them for assistance work.

If a person is going to use them at all, that's how they ought to use them.
>>
>>36575457
Agree wholeheartedly. Kettlebells as a primary modality of training will be good for moderate power development and some metcon, but for strength gains nothing beats using both sides of your body.

Where the kettlebells help are in assisting once you've identified a gap. I'd never go show off a fear of strength by doing a unilateral KB press. But when I find that I have a weakness in one arm being weak when externally rotated during an overhead yoke carry, then I can do light assistance work with waiters walks or bottoms up waiters walks to close the gap.
>>
>>36572629
Gavin pls go
>>
>>36572629
Great overall tool.

I've been using them for a little over than a year:
the work on grip/abs/conditionning is great,
and i also made good progress in flexibility (shoulder) and you can make ok strength gain with pavel's ETK.

that being said, if you are looking to get big,
or search "raw strength" stick with barbells/dumbells.

Best of luck OP.
>>
>>36575077
>File: 0007434585079_500X500[1].jpg (55 KB, 500x500)
KEK
>>
There is no reason in the world to use kettlebells if you have access to a dumbbell of the same weight.

They are an evil conspiracy.
>>
For full functional strength building, I use actual kettles.
>>
>>36572629

Great for training strength-endurance.
Wonderful cardio tool.
Heavy kettlebell ballistic movements are awesome for power training. I'm talking 32 kg or bigger kettlebells. And doubles training. Not the ping 2 kg ones you usually see.

Negatives:

Americans were the worst thing to happen to kettlebells, since they advertise it like the second coming of Jesus. They are just a tool, great for some things, inferior for other.
>>
>>36573014

That is not how you use kettlebells. They are not dumbells.
>>
>>36572629
If you're in a combat sport and it's your primary focus, then I'd totally recommend kettlebells as they have great carry over for hip flexibity and explosiveness. Two things needed to be good at any combat sport...er sport in general really. I'll train bjj 3x a week and do kbs at least twice a week or as a warm up before class.
>>
>>36572629
Jebregoon endorses them so they have to be badass
>>36572699
Train by day Jebregoon kettlebell workout by night all day
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.