[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I've been sorta half-assing SS for about 5 or 6 months now,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 1
File: IMG_20160326_113531.jpg (4 MB, 2992x4000) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160326_113531.jpg
4 MB, 2992x4000
I've been sorta half-assing SS for about 5 or 6 months now, and I wanna know how bad I'm doing.
Everything is in lbs, 3 sets of 5 reps
Squat: 195
Deadlift: 190
Bench: 105
OHP: 65
Bar row: 70
I've put the most effort into increasing my squat and DL, though I feel like I don't try to increase my weights as much as I should be, and I have a hard time eating at a calorie surplus.

Pic unrelated
>>
What do you want us to say? Add weight every workout and eat more. It's not difficult.
>>
>>36570513
If you started from skelly this might be decent, but if not this is pretty bad. Bench, OHP, and Row are all severely lacking. Diddly should be way above squat. If you can't push 2pl8 after a couple months you arent pushing hard enough.
>>
>>36570513
The numbers are low (especially /fit/ low) for being on a program for 5-6 months. With that being said, everyone will go out there own pace, but the numbers -- especially bench/ohp/row tells me you don't put in much effort as those are numbers you should be at by the end of month 1 of any program. The Squat/Deadlift shows you CAN if you try but don't.

Otherwise, everybody has their own goals. If your finding it difficult to progress on the various lifts I would recommend using GreySkull's Linear Progression progression or use some of the base principles in it and apply it to SS.

Mostly, do your upper body work (OHP/Bench, even Row) before you do the lower body work. The OHP and Bench do not tire you out the way a heavy squat can or deadlift. This should help you progress some more.

But ultimately you get out of it, what you put into it. If you want to raise your numbers your going to have to put in some sweat.

Average effort yields only average results. And I would say right now your results are sub-average.
>>
>>36570582
Is there a ratio of body weight that my lifts should typically be at? Like DL should be 1.7, squat should be 1.5, ect?
>>
what numbers did you start with?
how many cals are you eating?
>>
>>36570620
hard numbers even using ratios like body weight are tough. There are various things floating around but most of it is bro circle jerk shit.

1 plate ohp (135)
2 plate bench (225)
3 plate squat (315)
4 plate deadlift (405)

I've also seen things like
1xBodyWeight on OHP
1.5xBodyWeight Bench
2xBodyWeight Squat
4xBodyWeight Deadlift

Everybody is vastly different. You aren't lifting against me, or /fit/ or anyone at your gym. Your lifting against yourself. That is all that matters.
>>
>>36570652
Should have been 3xBW on Deadlift not 4x
>>
>>36570513
>not even DLing 2pl8
Nigga I squatted 2pl8 after like 2 months max. And that OHP is just ridiculous, 4 months in and these are my lifts in lbs:

5'11 at 176lbs and around 18% bf
280.5 DL
236.5 Squat
170.5 Bench
110 OHP
Row is same as Bench.

And those stats are nothing impressive. Fuck, I was just sick for two weeks and yet I still pulled those weights last workout. My noob gains aren't even gone yet, still progressing linearly. Although Squat progression is getting kinda difficult. I plan to hit at least 3pl8 DL and 2pl8 Bench before cutting.
>>
>>36570620
I reached 1.5x my body weight in the forst month and a half, but then again im a skelly.
>>
>>36570671
Oh and these are all for reps
>>
>>36570618
>do other stuff before heavy squats/deadlifts because you won't be as tired
I actually had not thought of that

>>36570647
I started with 1 plate on both squat and deadlift, like 75 on bench, and 40 on bench. I haven't even kept track of rows accurately.

I'm 5'10 and 150lbs, pretty skelly. I try to eat around 2300 calories in a day.
>>
>>36570715
>I started with 1 plate on both squat and deadlift, like 75 on bench, and 40 on bench.
I meant 75 bench, 40 OHP
>>
Hey OP:

TRY HARDER. You will never have the strength or physique you desire unless you TRY HARDER.
>>
Are there some kind of accessory exercises I can fit in to help my bench, OHP, and row increase?
>>
>>36570845
Are there accessory for those lifts? Yes
Should you be doing these? No.

You want to progress your bench and ohp? You need to do the bench and ohp. You need weight to the bar. You need to push yourself harder on those, plain and simple.

The reason people typically start with programs like SS is to build a foundation of strength and knowledge for the main lifts and add accessories as you approach heavier weights. Right now you don't have a solid foundation of strength. Worrying about the accessories is like trying to build a roof before you have walls to hold it up, its pointless.

My suggestion to you is to purchase 1.25 lb plates (like 25 dollars on Amazon for 2, assuming your Gym doesn't have them). This will allow you to progress your bench press and OHP by 2.5 lbs each workout instead of the full recommended 5 lbs. This should allow you to resume making some progress assuming you are putting in effort, eating and sleeping enough.

Worry less about accessories and worry more about the main lifts. Watch videos on youtube to make sure your form is right, try wider grip on the bench, narrow grips on the ohp. But you need to progress them. Do whatever it takes even if you have to go off script a little.

Do you fail 3x5 on the 4th rep? Switch it up, do 5 sets of 3 instead. Your still getting in 15 reps just in different order. Next time you go to workout go back to a normal 3x5 with the same weight and see if you can now do that 5th rep.

Basically, those numbers (bench/ohp/row) are too low to worry about doing something besides those lifts to progress them, you just need to lift.
>>
>>36570845
Just bench, ohp and row more. Fix your form and actually try to get stronger each time.
>>
>>36570513
Bench and row are weak, other two are just mediocre
>>
>>36570972
Thanks. I appreciate the advice.
>>
>>36570513
Height and weight?
>>
>>36571151
5'10, 150lbs
>>
>>36570513
L O N D O N
O
N
D
O
N
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.