[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is there anything good about shin splints? I know that they are
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 3
File: shin splints.jpg (41 KB, 520x420) Image search: [Google]
shin splints.jpg
41 KB, 520x420
Is there anything good about shin splints? I know that they are a sign of overload and should be dealt with asap but any time I get them I wonder if my calves are getting stronger after each subsequent recovery. Is one less likely to get shin splints after damaged muscles get rebuild?
>>
>>36567351
they are mostly a sign of your shit running technique
>>
>>36567364
This
>>
Is there a problem with running with shin splints? Sometime ago i just said fuck it and kept running with them for like 2 months and nothing happened.
>>
>>36567351
>shit shoes
>shit running technique

STOP HEEL STRIKING FAGGOT

Also avoid running on particularly hard surfaces if you can
>>
>>36567392
if they get worse they can develop into a stress fracture, just take them as a sign that your mobility and running technique probably sucks
>>
>>36567392
>Although appealing, the belief that switching to a mid or forefoot contact point will alter injury rates and improve efficiency has never been proven. Research evaluating injury rates associated with different contact points in more than 1600 runners has shown no difference in the incidence of running-related injuries between rearfoot and forefoot strikers
>>
>>36567415
>>36567420
Also, it didn't hurt when actually running, only before and after, was is it really shin splints?
>>
>>36567392
I did this while in basic military training now I have had chronic pain in my shins for almost three years

Immediately stop running if you get them
>>
>>36567443

Yes, that's how mine were and it developed into a stress fracture which sucked ass and I had to stop running and let it heal (took 2-3 months)
>>
I toe-strike naturally and I get insanely painful shin splints.
>>
Whats a good source for running "form" if I dont want to get shin splints?
>>
>>36567489
>>36568841
Good lord. Back in the day before I started lifting I tried to get into running, but the shin splits were way too much for me to handle. I'm so glad I didn't continue.
>>
Incorrect footwear is a much bigger factor than "form".
>>
>>36567392
When I get shin splints I can barely stand on one leg without collapsing and doing slav squat is almost impossible, so I'd say you didn't have severe shin splints if they were shin splints at all.
>>
>>36567351
they're also a sign that your calf is stronger (proportionately) to your Tibialis anterior.

as others said. land on your forefoot, avoid concrete (asphalt is fine).

if you have some resistance bands, loop them around your toes and make circular motions with your toes to stretch those fuckers out.

also slow your pace, you're probably pushing too hard, too fast. and take more rest days. (do NOT try to push through them.)
>>
As we are in this topic, is doing HIIT in the forest a really bad idea? I hate running on the roads, but my forest tracks aren't that flat so I'm worried that I might just land on my ankle bad when sprinting.
>>
File: billy_question.jpg (107 KB, 576x768) Image search: [Google]
billy_question.jpg
107 KB, 576x768
How does one get shin splints?
>>
>>36570597
i gained about 25kg in the period of a few months and did literally no exercise. turns out my legs weren't used to carrying that weight (i was super skinny before) and when i started going for runs it hurt like crazy until i dropped about 20kg.
>>
>>36569144

If it makes you feel better it is very difficult to give yourself a stress fracture. I was a complete dumbass that kept upping the distance even though I literally ace bandaged ice packs around my shins when I got back from running and laid on my back with my legs propped up on the couch for an hour afterward cause it hurt to walk. I push myself way beyond what any sane person would do and it gets me hurt sometimes.
>>
>>36570597
Also overtraining. People start running too much without giving their shins to recover. I had it lightly when I ropeskipped a lot. Just took some rest and tada, gone.
>>
File: 1398103225953.jpg (125 KB, 1440x810) Image search: [Google]
1398103225953.jpg
125 KB, 1440x810
>>36567415
>>36567443
It can also be shit shoes.

I finally wore my good pair out and bought another of the same brand and I was getting shin splints literally every run to the point I couldn't even finish runs.

Then I swapped to a different shoe more like my previous pair and the splints stopped completely.
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.