[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>gonna go on a 4 month Mexico to Canada hiking trip >ottermode
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 2
File: PCT.jpg (77 KB, 622x407) Image search: [Google]
PCT.jpg
77 KB, 622x407
>gonna go on a 4 month Mexico to Canada hiking trip
>ottermode and don't want to slip back into Auschwitz, Germany.

How cucked am I gonna be by the end of this trip? Should I say goodbye to my gains? Anything I can do to not go full skelly mode?

I was thinking of doing pushups and pull ups with my pack on, curling seam sealed water filled bags, and doing handstand dips for shoulders. I'll also try and keep my calories up as much as I can
>>
>>36566781
Eat enough for your body to not take energy from your muscles.
>>
>>36566781
Auschwitz is not in Germany
fucking americans wwtl
>>
>>36566781
look at the kind of food people hiking across antarctica eat, then eat that
>>
>four month trip

Don't you need to work or anything?
>>
>>36566810
That's going to be difficult since I'm going to be eating tuna and ramen, but I'll find a way to make it work.

>>36566965
foods high in fat and proteins. got it
>>
Bodyweight exercices.
Pushups don't work biceps, dont forget
>>
>>36566993
People usually quit, or are moving towards another job when they do these kinds of hikes.

It's not uncommon, for example, I could quit walmart, make the trek, then 2 weeks from completion, ask to get rehired and 'probably' get rehired.

The better your job, the harder the retake.
>>
>>36566781

i thruhiked last year.

You're going to try and keep your calories up? you had better keep your calories up. You're not making the miles if you don't. These workouts are going to seem laughable once you get out there. You can do some pushups, and such, but everyone else thruhiking successfully is quite skinny.

What's your baseweight at?
How're you planning your resupply?

(gl op, it's a blast out there, don't get caught up in the desert)
>>
>>36566993
>four month trip
I'm not too far caught up in the system (no kids, no mortage, no car payment, good amount in savings) that I can mange to pull this off. There are quite a few people that will quit their well paying white collar jobs just to hike this thing. You need about 3k to hike this thing if you're frugal, but most people end up staying in hotels and eating out every chance they get so they end up spending upwards of 5k.
>>
>>36567092

you can score food from different "hikerboxes" along trail and save a huge chunk of change.
>>
>>36566781
Read Never Gymless. Best book on BW training IMO.
>>
>>36567080
I'm at 11 pounds. Could go even lower if I wanted to ditch a few luxury items but there's no fun in that. And for my resupply I'm just going to buy as I go along and use a bounce box whenever I can.

Any advice for a 21 year old doing his first thruhike?
>>
Realistically, you're not gonna eat enough to avoid losing a fuckton of weight

You're just trying to limit muscle loss as much as you can. It's gonna happen, but you won't go Auchwitz unless you're not /fit/ already
>>
File: pemmican.png (310 KB, 633x724) Image search: [Google]
pemmican.png
310 KB, 633x724
>>36566781
Pack the pemmican

http://www.traditionaltx.us/images/PEMMICAN.pdf
>>
>>36566781

If you're worried about going from otter to auschwitz build up a good fat supply before heading out on the trail. That way you have reserves to burn up while on the trail. Also you should get your body used to a diet consisting mostly of fats and proteins which come from dried plant matter like lentils, brown rice, and so on and so forth.
>>
>>36567126

I was 22 (birthday on trail right after ziggy and bear!), you'll be a youngin out there, I'd mark the median age around 28.

Don't party too much, or too little (hike your own hike). There's going to be plenty of people in the desert trying to convince you to stay and party with them, but you really wanna get through the desert fast, of course stopping at the dope spots (you have to go to the andersons).

Do you have an umbrella? honestly, in the desert, you're not going to be walking from 11-3 if you don't, which is fine, as long as you can get up early and are willing to hike late. Getting through the desert is honestly going to be one of your biggest feats. just walk all day, enjoy the walk, enjoy the people, stay positive because you're surrounded by so many different landscapes along the way, and taking each one in is a blessing.

There is probably going to be a ridiculous amount of trail magic in the desert too, if there is a girl cooking chocolate chip pancakes and dolling out beer after mile 100 (barrel springs) and her name's veggie, go give her a hug. go camp at eagle rock shortly after that. don't get stuck in town. the sierras, desolation wilderness, northern oregon, northern washington, there are so many dope sections. Each section has its own beauty, love the hat creek rim for what it is, don't listen to the naysayers.

You may catch up to this guy named Danger (class of 2014, 2015, and now 2016), He's lovable and volatile, I hope you're hiker trashy enough to befriend him.
>>
>>36566921
>Poland is not rightful German clay
Jewish Polack spotted
>>
>>36567135
This, OP is bitching about not being able to get to a gym and lift heavy shit...when he should be worrying about being able to get to a kitchen/buffet and eat lots of shit.

He's going to be hiking, and in the woods there is plenty of opportunity to lift heavy shit and the amount of expenditure, if he eats well, will keep him remarkably fit.
Hell, he can go to youtube and look up movnat. That shit is the real deal.
>>
>>36566781
>>36566781
Also, isometric pullups and pushups are simple and don't take much time. For pullups, hold the bottom position (scapulae retracted) for a 5-10 second pause, pull up half way and hold it for 5-10 seconds, pull up to the top and hold it again, then do the same on the way down. Squeeze the lats hard throughout. The same principle applies to pushups. These are good to do if you're low on time or equipment, but are also just generally good to do. You won't manage more than a few.
Also, rocks.
>>
>>36567300
Thanks for all this man. No I don't have an umbrella but I've been thinking about picking one up. From my experience, I get major head aches being out in the sun all day. Any tips on staying injury free?
>>
Firstly 4 months is fast for the PCT. props if you do that pace. Secondly your diet is going to be pure shit trying to just keep calories up so you probably will lose some muscle mass but it's not like you're gonna be a holocaust victim. Bulk now while hiking a bunch to prepare for it, keep lifting weights. Put on a little more muscle and some extra bodyfat and you'll be used to hiking at that weight. As you lose weight you'll be conditioned for hiking by then. It's a tough physical thing but it's more so tough mentally.
>>
>>36566921
it was, however, during the supposed genocide, alas there is no Auschwitz in Poland, but Oswiecim
>>
>>36567549

walk slowly all day, not fast and in bursts
stay hydrated, if you got a filter, ditch it for some aquamira to treat water
if you get a blister, pop it drain it, open up the hole and squeeze some superglue up in there, lifesaving protip

what shoes are you wearing?
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.