[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hi. The local carnival has this "game" where you have
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 2
Hi. The local carnival has this "game" where you have to stay like pic related for 60 seconds straight. If you manage to do that, you win 100 Euro. You don't have to push up or do something peculiar, just stay hung up like that without losing grasp with the bar.
Now, I tried just for the fun but I was quite sure I couldn't do that (I am quite heavy and not very trained) and in fact I lasted just 16 seconds. But I thought that for other people, less heavy and more trained, that would have been
Well, I watched like 20 people try, and no one managed to do that. No guy, no girl, some of them were VERY tiny and light, some of them had muscular arms... everyone failed.
Max was 49 seconds.
How's that? I thought there was like some trick on the bar but I tried it and there was none. No mini-electric shock, no fluid whatsoever... WHY IS IT SO HARD?!
>>
It's an isometric lift. You either train for it, or you simply won't be able to do it for that long. Even most people doing pull-ups don't stay on the bar for that long, so the amount of people who can pull it off is pretty low.

I really recommend bar hangs as a lift. Choking out the last pull-ups as your grip begins to fail is a good way to hurt yourself.
>>
>>36565168
Train heavy farmers walks superset with reverse curls and close a gripper s few times a week.

Practice meditation and how to clear you mind and zone out.

I bet in two to three months time you will have the grip strength and mental conditioning to win.
>>
>>36565197
>It's an isometric lift.
I'm no expert and maybe I got your reply wrong, but as I said you don't have to lift while trying that. Just stay hung and still.
>>
>>36565209
He means isometric hold. Your muscles are contracting/bearing some weight so technically isometric lift is correct but most people would call it an isometric hold. Im also guessing the bar is pretty wide. Bars that are thicker in diameter are typically harder to hold.
>>
>>36565217
Oh I see. Thanks for the replies guys.
>>
Nigga what

I just did that shit for 3 minutes and got bored. What the fuck are you talking about
>>
>>36565209
You still lift your body weight in an isometric way. You work against gravity to not collapse.

>>36565207
I took me two weeks at around 85kg to get to one minute. It's really not that hard, it's just not a thing people do, if they aren't gymnasts.
>>
>>36565168
I've seen a similar thing in a trip in Croatia
One of my friends who tried told me that the bar actually rotates a bit and it's a bit greasy....He also told me he tried home and lasted two minutes or something without problem(but I don't know if I should believe him considering he pretty much lives in his fantasy world where he's capable of everything)
>>
>>36565241
>One of my friends who tried told me that the bar actually rotates a bit and it's a bit greasy
lol, Croatian being scum dirtbags... who would have thought.
>>
>>36565227
I use dead hangs to improve my grip a bit and stretch out my arms when I get home from the gym, but I've never seen anyone do them with a close grip. Will try when I get home from work
>>
>>36565168
Gather dry dirt from the ground to use as chalk, but do it discreetly.
Try hook grip.
Actually train the hold.
>>
File: 198jp26uw5xwfjpg.jpg (68 KB, 640x364) Image search: [Google]
198jp26uw5xwfjpg.jpg
68 KB, 640x364
The weight of the body pulling down on the arms makes breathing extremely difficult. A straight-arm hang works your hand and wrist flexors, the brachioradialis and extensor carpi radialis muscles in your forearms and the deltoid muscles in your shoulders. It specifically targets the muscles that enhance your grip, which is essential in many exercises, including pullups. Without a strong grip, you won't be able to hold onto the bar well enough to support your body weight. To perform a straight-arm hang, also called a dead hang, grab the bar with both hands in an overhand grip and hang for two minutes -- you might need to build up to this duration. When you can hang for two minutes, switch to an underhand grip to work all your forearm muscles equally.

I found this guide helpful and I think you will too. This may sound silly, but knowing how to do this exercise with out wrecking your shit is important.

http://www.moreathleticmagazine.co.uk/exercise-breakdown-dead-hang/
>>
>>36565247
Yeah, I do something similar in combination with other forearm exercises. I don't want to fail my grip on deadlifts later on, and I hate mixed grip, hook and straps, so forearm training it is. I tried close grip and it's not much different.
>>
>>36565168

It's a scam. The bar rotates, making it very hard.
>>
>>36565246
KEK
Nice beaches,beautiful girls and awesome clubs but the men where almost all fucking lazy unpolite scumbags
>>
>>36565168
Pretty simple desu senpai. Nothing to do with strength, you need blood pumping through your body to move muscles, holding that rushes all the blood from your arms, making it almost impossible unless you somehow maintain circulation
>>
I just did 1 min first try. I'm 5'8 170ish. I do anywhere from 100-150 pull ups every day though, and alternate days between bodyweight and weighted. And my grip is pretty crazy so maybe that helps
>>
>>36565323
Like the other dude said, it's probably a prepped bar. Thicker, slightly unstable surface and engineered to be slippery.
>>
Mixed grip
>>
>>36565334
it's normally just very thick or thin, and extremely smooth. No friction grip whatsoever
>>
>>36565223
You can't just dead hang. You have to contact your legs and core, like the girl in the picture. You also can't move your hands around
>>
>>36565323
Now try it with olive oil on your hands
>>
>>36565168

I'm fat as fuck and I can do it.
>>
>>36565585
Hanging on the fridge door handle does not count.
>>
>>36565168
do your pullups really slow
>>
>>36565597
>kek
>>
Must be some tom foolery at play. Just went to the pullupbar and did this. Managed 55 seconds after my back day (so had deadlifted etc beforehand) I feel it would be easymode if i was well rested. And this was with my knees up even higher than the girl in the pic. Killed my forearms though.
>>
>>36565168
I just tried it on my pullup bar. Was able to do it but it was tough
>>36565217
>Im also guessing the bar is pretty wide
Yeah, I have a feeling there's some other trick to it
>>36565251
Clever
Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.