[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Going to the gym for the first time tonight to do starting strength.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 2
File: 1422901172791.png (20 KB, 500x619) Image search: [Google]
1422901172791.png
20 KB, 500x619
Going to the gym for the first time tonight to do starting strength. Can anyone help me out with gym ettiquette as well as what I should be wearing for shoes as well? Will converse be fine?
>>
>>36562769
No matter what you do, do NOT squat in the OHP rack. You'll never hear the end of it.
>>
>>36562783
Whats the difference between the 2? I don't wanna be that guy man, I don't wanna.
>>
>>36562804
the squat rack is a cage the overhead press rack is open

look up pics if you're that scared senpai
>>
>>36562826
I'm not OP. But if my gym has 4 different squat racks and a smith machine, I'm good to OHP in the squat rack, right?
>>
I'm gonna be starting SL and beginning with an empty bar to develop good form. Will gymbros judge?
>>
>>36563015
yes but in a year or even a few months you'll be judging, dont start with empty bar tho waste of time
>>
>>36563070
What would be a good start weight so I don't look too pathetic?
>>
>>36562769
Expect to get some funny stares when you are doing squats and deadlifts. Most gymgoers don't even know they are a real exercise
>>
File: 1430160654975.jpg (86 KB, 600x800) Image search: [Google]
1430160654975.jpg
86 KB, 600x800
>>36563015
>Will gymbros judge?
>>36563070
>yes
>dont start with empty bar tho waste of time

>tfw have scoliosis and slight lower back pain so I have to start with the empty bar
>>
>>36563092
This. Just need a good idea of starting weight and if Converse shoes are okay to lift in and I'm set for my first day of lift kindergarten.
>>
>>36563015
>>36563174
The entire point of SL is to start with the bar, focus on form above anything else, and add weight gradually. It's impossible to fuck up unless you either:
>have garbage form
>stop going to the gym, i.e. stop progressing
Not saying you can't start with higher weight, but if you're that unsure about everything, just take it slow. It's not a race.

I've heard of plenty of people using Converse because they don't want to shell out for lifting shoes, and honestly, until you've been lifting for long enough to say you're serious about it, there's no point in buying lifting shoes.
>>
>>36563174
Seriosly man, do the bar, fuck it, be safe, get used to that mind muscle connection, then take off and do whatever you want with your routine, after you've learned how to control every inch of your body, and can force yourself to reach failure before compromising your form. You're gonna get newbie gains regardless so, don't worry about missing gains by starting with lower weight.
>>
Am I allowed to fart at the gym?

What do I take? Just a towel and water bottle?

Where do I put my stuff? Do lockers cost extra?
>>
>>36563528
You can fart wherever you please. Bring what ever you like, put your things where you want.
>>
if i go alone do I need someone to spot me if doing bench press? or is that only for lifting for like double your body weight?
>>
will I be able to go shirtless at the gym?
>>
>>36562900

Yeah. Some (most?) gyms, which are not barbell focused, simply have racks for "barbells" and let's that take care of all your barbell needs.
>>
What's so wrong about OHPing in the power rack?
>>
>>36563092
>>36563174
Start with the bar, do five reps, add 10 lbs, do another 5 reps, repeat. Once the bar starts to slow down or form breaks down, you've found your starting weight.

85 lbs is where I first started out, and is a pretty average starting weight.
>>
Thing about SS is that you spend a lot of fucking time in the power rack on your day A workouts, especially once the weight gets heavy and you're taking 5+ min rest periods.
>>
Put the fucking clips on the fucking smith machine, if you plan on using it. All the newbies show up and then go "I don't need them it's stable enough haha" and end up destroying the equipment. I had to call the front desks guys on so many of them it's infuriating. Also bring a towel and bottle of water you disgusting sweaty piece of shit.
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.