[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
In the new batman movie, Ben is doing some hammer swinging on
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 2
File: image.jpg (155 KB, 634x757) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
155 KB, 634x757
In the new batman movie, Ben is doing some hammer swinging on a giant tire, and also pulling said giant tire buy a thick rope, alone with bench press and weighted pull-ups. My question is, are the tire workouts just meme exercises? Are they really optimal to get the kind of strength he's going for? Is a dynamic object like pulling a tire by a rope more or less effective than cable flys, etc?
>>
Ben "Going Jihadi on My Body" Al-Aflliqui looks a little average in that photo
>>
>>36558480
I walked of the cinema after that. Fuck this movie for promoting crossfit.
>>
>>36558518
Is that what crossfit is?

It seems like for the type of strength/ability he's training for that would be more useful than just lifting, wouldn't it?
>>
>>36558480
You're telling me you never saw batman use his bat-hammer? You never saw him drag bane's heavy ass around after choking him out with a fiber wire?
>>
>>36558550
My question was whether he could achieve these strength gains more efficiently, like cable flys instead of dragging a large object.
>>
>>36558535
yeah dude i remember way back in the day, when i first started my job at the rubber factory and the bossman would come down and say "hey buddy, these tires are too tough, you gotta tenderize em with this nig hammer" and after a couple weeks of doing this day in and day out i just couldn't help but hope that someone would invent a workout that would help me with my job

so now i pay $200 a day for my local CrossFit® Gym and let me tell you, my Sledgehammeratus Tirator muscles are inSANE, so many gains
>>
>>36558581

I understand your question OP and Affleck actually talked about this in an interview with graham norton (I'm sure you can find it on youtube) last friday

The idea was that he was going to workout with what he had instead of bringing in all those weights and racks etc.

Something like that anyway

So it wasn't because this way was 'better'

It was simply because for batman at that time it was more practical, at least that's why they went with that particular choice in the film
>>
>>36558602
>you gotta tenderize em with this nig hammer

kek.
That was twice as funny because your typo made it racist too.
>>
>>36558518
>Fuck this movie for promoting crossfit.
MMA fighters have been doing shit like that for ages, you fucking fag.
>>
>>36558480
It's legit conditioning work.
>>
>>36558480

It's just fucking meme exercises. Traditional strength training would be doing him much more good. You'd think a multi billionaire could afford not to work out like a nigger.
>>
At one point you see him squatting like 6pl8

Not a full rep or anything but you see him throwing it off his back, presumably after squatting
>>
>>36558755
Batman trains every martial art he learned the way he had learned them in the first place. I remember reading an issue where Alfred lampshades his impracticality. Not that moviemakers knew that but they might.
>>
Why wouldn't he do something like crossfit? Batman needs cardio and stamina more than strength, but he needs both. If he just lifted heavy he'd be out of breath in two minutes
>>
Tire workouts are great for functional strength. That's the sort of shit farmers are always doing and although they never look particularly ripped , they always strong as fuck.

Hitting a tire with a sledgehammer mimics chopping wood, which is a great exercise.
>>
>>36558811

Then do strength training and cardio. You don't need to do goofy dangerous bullshit to increase your cardiovascular capacity, just run and swim and suit.
>>
>>36558480
>attributing this exercise to crossfit
>it's been around in fighting since before the jews invented crossfit
>>
>>36558849
All crossfit is are a combination of cardio and lifting. You can do crossfit and powerlifting simultaneously
>>
>>36558821

Farmers are stronger than normal people because they have their noob gains from picking shit up and pushing shit around, that is, that their neuromuscular connectivity is more developed. "Functional strength" is a meaningless buzzword. The only way you could have strength and not have it be functional is if you do everything with machines so your stabilizers aren't worked out.
>>
Tyre exercises are a meme. They don't target any particular muscle group and will wear you out before you get endurance benefits. You're better off with cables and weights and running/swimming.
>>
>>36558863

>All crossfit is are a combination of cardio and lifting.

Yeah, exactly, it's shitty cardio mixed with ineffective strength training. You can't lift anywhere near your max (which you have to do to actually get stronger) when you're constantly exhausted from stupid gimmicky exercises.
>>
>>36558889
Crossfit increases your entire bodys muscular endurance. I don't do crossfit, I'm not at all interested in doing it. But for someone like batman, doing a combination of powerlifting and crossfit would be ideal for what he needs, a lot of strength and the ability to go all night
>>
>>36558495
He's 6'4" you manlet
>>
>>36558914

>Crossfit increases your entire bodys muscular endurance.

Not anywhere as effectively as a combination of cardio and strength training.
>>
>>36558849
Batman's entire job is doing dangerous bullshit.
Also I don't remember him doing anything outrageous in the movie. He hit a tire with a hammer, pulled some rope, did weighted pullups and squats. Barely crossfit, just a bunch of "functional" exercises which makes sense considering his occupation.
>>
Make a tyre pull harness then walk up and down a steep hill a few times followed by a 3 mile trail march then come back and ask if it's a fucking meme exercise.
>>
>>36558936
Have I said avoid strength training? No, the opposite

And part of crossfit is literally running, swimming, biking, etc
>>
>>36558928
He isn't.
>>
File: 1455238991253.jpg (24 KB, 612x612) Image search: [Google]
1455238991253.jpg
24 KB, 612x612
>>36558951
>>36558951
>>36558951
>>
>>36558602
10/10
>>
>>36558480
Strongman training, which the tire shit falls into, has been appropriated by crossfit but is not crossfit per se.

> can you get as strong with cable flies?yes.

> why not do cable flies
my friend, who is a contract lawyer, once told me that contracts aren't made for the cases where the deal goes well; they are made for the case where the deal falls apart.

A cable pulls a symmetrical weight guided on a wheel. A truck tire can snag on anything during a drag or flip, and it is up to you to correct for it. If Batman were to apprehend a villain with his Bat-lasso, dragging a struggling villain will better be simulated by the tire drag

> OK OK anon, you convinced me on the drag, but what about the sledgehammer shit? Why beat a tire for metcon when you can sprint or loaded carry?

"Functional" strength is meme slang for "executing a feat of strength over time in imperfect conditions." Sledgehammers are a situation where your axis of exertion switches along multiple (sagittal, coronal, frontal) planes and the center of mass switches as well. It's great for working all those postural and stabilizing muscles while tiring you out, and is very sport specific for Batman's sport of beating the shit out of people.
>>
>>36558951
lmao just turn it on the side and have it roll behind you as you walk, and then roll it down the hill

>3 miles
>hard

topkek, get outta here
>>
>>36558480
It's just some shit that is put there for the sole purpose of impressing normies

Just do your normal gym routine, is way better.
>>
Is it possible to not be mirin Bin Al-Flecki in BvS?

He is thick as fuck.
>>
>>36559258
Tyre/sled pulling isn't crossfit exclusive. Rugby teams have been using for conditioning long before that shit became popular.

>>36559335
Obviously if you let the tyre roll its pointless you retard. 3 miles is fine for a beginner. You don't want your first tyre pull to end up with you being miles from your car in a boggy field.
>>
>>36559328
Good post anon. Well done.

Not sarcasm.
>>
How new is the hammer tire thing?
>>
In the movie you see him lifting heavy weights and then pushing a sled and hitting a tire for conditioning work.

You didn't see him doing half assed compound lifts for time.

Batman's obv. running 5/3/1because there's no way the worlds greatest detective would fall for crossfit.
>>
>>36558480
I saw this movie last night, when he is doing the pull-ups his abs looked good but one scene he is standing and flaring his chest and it looks kind of fake. Did anyone else see this and wonder if it was cgi or not?
>>
>>36559940
It isn't
>>
>>36558480
just googled it after looking at pic related and thinking he didnt look too swole but damn apparently affleck is a bit of a lanklet - he's 6'4. did not know that/never woulda guessed
>>
>>36560038
The abs were probably cgi. He put on him too much volume. I dont think he had flat abs
>>
>>36558480
It's a superhero movie you man kiddie stop analyzing it.
>>
>>36558602
I laughed
Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.