[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Any (former) alcoholics around here?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 7
File: 9922.jpg (6 KB, 275x183) Image search: [Google]
9922.jpg
6 KB, 275x183
Any (former) alcoholics around here?
>>
File: 2de47e419f995bf4.jpg (11 KB, 280x220) Image search: [Google]
2de47e419f995bf4.jpg
11 KB, 280x220
>>
File: kekekekekke.jpg (9 KB, 288x160) Image search: [Google]
kekekekekke.jpg
9 KB, 288x160
>>
Yes. I quit drinking last June and started running. Recently switched to lifting after an injury and realizing I was sick of being skinny.

The only part I miss is drinking alone.
>>
>>36543335
Why is drinking alone so nice? I'm about to crack a beer and watch Lost in Translation. Keep up that sobriety though brah. You're stronger than me.
>>
I gave up the sauce to get low bf for summer, still an alchy though.
>>
I'm a current alcoholic and I am around here.
>>
File: 1450655728305.jpg (105 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
1450655728305.jpg
105 KB, 1024x768
>>36543366
Holy fuck are you me? I mean I only I drink beer at pubs, but still.

Coming home after a long day, cracking open a bottle of wine, and watching films like that is the tits.
>>
>>36543366
Better than sitting around thinking.
>>
File: maxresdefault[1].jpg (48 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault[1].jpg
48 KB, 1280x720
>drink almost every single weekend
Its like I'm gaining
nothing at all
nothing at all
NOTHING AT ALL
>>
I only drink about once a week, but when I do, it's 8-10

I probably have a problem
>>
>>36543366
Not that anon, but for me I find it great to drink alone because 1) I don't have to rely on anyone to change bars or to make plans. 2) There's a point of the drunkness where I get into a certain state of mind where creative ideas flow. Drinking with people you have to pretend to care, or just act idiotic and have a good time, which is good on its own, but ultimately meaningless.

Now, what I wanted to tell you: be careful with thoughts such as that last line.

> You're stronger than me

You'll trick yourselfi nto believeing you're weak, building mental chains that you will not break when you need them. If you're not an alcoholic, drink 2 beers, but not 3. If you are and you have already opened up that beer, drink half, pour the other half. Overcoming an addiction is no easy shit to deal with, but stay strong brehs, don't let weakness of any sorts come to your day for they will catch you off guard and bring you regret, pain and... well, hopefully, enough motivation to keep trying to improve yourself as the struggle arises.
>>
Go to aa, I know it sounds seedy but I loved it. Sharing your shit and hearing other people's fucked up shit helps, and having those people you owe it to stay sober for helps
>>
Kinda. I like to self medicate, but I go cold turkey like, one bottle of cheap vodka before full blown alcoholism. Then I don't drink for 6 months to a year, then I start again. I'm a wizard at almost-not-quite.
>>
Yup. Still struggling. It effects my gains when I cave and drink sun up to sun down for a week but lifting is probably the biggest thing that's helped me over come my alcoholism, along with just maturing in general and having a desire to better myself. I am getting better, slowly but surely. Been to 100 AA meetings and have friends in the program but it's not for me.
>>
>>36543085
You've surrendered to Allah?
>>
File: 127625492529.jpg (136 KB, 560x570) Image search: [Google]
127625492529.jpg
136 KB, 560x570
>former
I'm no quitter
>>
Used to drink at close to 3times a week, more recently just 2, and now that I have gotten really serious about losing weight only once a week, and that is only if my friends want to go out. Feels good I guess. I'd definitely drink more if it wasn't so filled w calories.
>>
Sober since november 2012.

Im healthy now, my skin looks good. Normally I feel good too.

I still classify as an alcoholic. I will always be one no matter how ill like it. Alcoholism is like a disease, you lose all control over your life when you drink.
>>
>>36543550
That's actually where I'm at. I can stop at 2, but lately it's been every night, and that 3rd is getting tempting. Im not going to go back to how I used to be. Used to go through a couple handles a week. Beers here and there between the whiskey. I've got it under control, but for some reason it's been picking back up again over the last couple weeks. I even bought a bottle of rum for the first time in forever a week ago. I'm hoping my new job will distract me from the drink more.
>>
>>36543085
Former alcoholic here, used to down about a bottle of scotch a day after a breakup from my ex-fiancée.

In the end, it was lifting that got me out of my shit. First I just drank and lifted, then at some point, I became more hungry for lifting than for the drink.

Met a girl, got married, still lift a couple of times a week and enjoy the occasional beer in the weekend.

To be honest though, I still miss drinking from time to time. There's a certain tranquility in drinking alone, listening to music, it's like you're not really there, but you've figured everything out. It's like a warm pool in which your slowly drowning.

But anyway, fuck it, my life has changed for the better since I became sober.

So what's your story?
>>
yeah. a bunch of my friends and i used to go to the bars 3-4 nights a week and get absolutely demolished every night. this is until all of the friends i went out with all ended up getting dui's and one went to jail for a couple months. i got lucky and was the only one who didn't.

i've seen so many people fall to drinking. i see them blackout at the bar every week and think what a waste. alcoholism ruins lives. never again.
>>
>>36543085
>tfw love beer but it made me fat and gives me nasty headaches
Why
>>
>>36544077
Dude, that's not how it works. The more you drink, the more tolerance you build. I've been there. I usually drank outside, and figured that I wanted to try writing more seriously and that I should drink at home because it wasn't that expensive.

I ended up drinking more, and when you end up drinking at breakfast (pouring whiskey or mead in the pankakes, kek) you realize that was not a good idea.

Also, new job will bring you new opportunities to celebrate/drown your frustrations. Take the reins of the chariot!

So my honest suggestion is that you go back to 1 beer a day first and then try to make some time every week or so to unload on booze moderately, one step at a time.
>>
>>36543536

You probably don't
>>
I'm pretty sure being in college and living in a frat house has turned me into a bit of an alcoholic. Had a bit of a bender last weekend and I felt cravings all week.
>>
i love beer. a lot. actually, seeing some of the posts in this thread make me suspect i have a problem. when i work all day, ride home exhausted and make my dinner, there's nothing more comforting that sitting, drinking a beer or two in the dark.

i can't remember the last time i've been drunk-drunk. i usually go to the pub once a week or two and even then i'll only have, at most, three to four.

is there such a thing as non-alcoholic stout?
>>
When you work a shitty job all day and your too tired to do any hobbies and too stressed to sleep, what else is there to do but drink?
>>
>>36543085
Hit 4 years sober in February of this year. Best decision I ever made. Used to go out, get fucked up, and pick up any girl that looked my way. Ended up in jail many a times. Cheated on my girlfriend. Dad was an alcoholic and died of it.

Now, I am lonely, but I am happy.

I still get women. I'm better in bed. My mind is clear and I am healthier. I face my feelings directly instead of numbing things with booze. I also work as a bartender.
>>
File: 5902882987_b6e3daf040.jpg (95 KB, 500x326) Image search: [Google]
5902882987_b6e3daf040.jpg
95 KB, 500x326
I'm most comfortable when I'm not myself.

It's reached the point where a few inevitably leads to more and more until I run out or pass out. I should honestly probably not drink again. Shit is hard senpai.
>>
i;m still an alco

I feel stronger drunk
>>
>>36543630
what stories would I tell them?

oh yeah that time I got drunk alone and shitposted on a chinese cartoon website.
>>
Use to drink daily for around a year. Weekends I'd drink till I got kicked out of every pub, got arrested, or passed out.
Also took a ton of drugs and got into a terrible mental state. Weed daily and the occasional trip (atleast once a month). This stage ended when I needed Ritalin in the morning and sleeping pills to get to sleep.

>quit around a year and a half ago
Mentally I feel 100x better. Lost 90% of my friends which makes me lonley but since they were all degenerate druggies it's a blessing in disguise.
I drink occasionally but never more than two beers at a time.

Life is truly better without drugs, coming from an ex alcholic / tripper / stoner.
>>
>>36543580
>>36543902

3 years sober here.

My sobriety date is March 4, 2013
>>
>>36549245

Thanks for sharing mate. I feel like I'm in a similar situation now with most of my friends being enablers that are also abusing substances.
>>
>>36549320
Hounestly even if their just daily pot smokers or the type that drink every week look for new friends. I invested years of time into being friends with them. Our friend group got smaller over the years and I wasn't wise enough to see the ones leaving were the smart ones. We had a close friend kill himself and brushed it off as it was his depression (really it was the constant drug use especially LSD weekly).

Just leave them now, you'll realise soon the only mutal part of your friendship is drugs.
>>
Yes. Alcohol was never the problem. It was the solution. The problem was my terrible spiritual state and view of the world.
>>
>started smoking pot at 18
>did that for about 5 years
>loved the sedation
>got busted
>went of drug / alcohol testing
>was clean for a while and felling good
>older brother got busted & put on house arrest
>got me into drinking
>loved the sedation
>did that for another 5 years
>started lifting
>trying to step down from 12 shots a night to just a few
>pretty drunk right now

Fuck.
The drink killed me grandfather, and if I stay on this road it'll probably kill me too.
>>
>>36543085

>Hi I am Matt and I am an Alcoholic
Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.