[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How do I into running?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 4
What gear is essential? What is the best plan for getting into it quick?
>>
>>36538949
Running shoes, t-shirt, shorts.

Every other day run till you drop.
Or find a program.
>>
Don't on more than twice a week.
>>
>>36538949
Move your left leg first, then your right, here's where it gets tricky. Don't move ur right again, do the left leg, keep doin this program I'm designing for you and you should be running like a real human bean in no time. Take the survey, helps a lot.
>>
>>36538963
So just running can be effective as a running program?
>>
what are your goals anon? all you really need are
>shorts/sweats
>running shoes
>any old t shirt, bro tank
I'd recommend couch to 5k if you're completely new to running
>>
>>36538975
Fuck that's where I was going wrong, I was going left left right right, shit.
>>
>>36538986
At the moment, being able to run 30 minutes comfortably nonstop, I figure I can build from there.
>>
>>36538975
2 keks for you anon
>>
My legs rub together when I run and chafe the back of my ballsack. what do?
>>
>>36539005

Couch to 5k and then 5 to 10k if all you want to do is run 30 minutes non stop
>>
>>36539087
This.
>>
>>36539062

Talc?
>>
>>36539186
might help, I've been using petroleum jelly for the past few runs, seems to help a bit.
>>
>>36539062
Lycra.
Try the long leg under armour boxer briefs. They fit like a jockstrap but have a fly like briefs so will keep your boys away from your crotch.

I switch to long tights in the winter but am indoors and on a treadmill due to extreme weather.
>>
>>36538972
What? Explain your logic. I'm waiting.
>>
>>36539062
Chamois butter in stick form.
>>
>>36539826
Who am I kidding. I'm not waiting.

OP, run 6 days a week. Two fast runs, one interval training run (fast, then slow, then fast again, repeat 5-6 times), one slow run, one long run
>>
>>36539842
Shit, add another fast run in there somewhere
>>
Whenever I go for a run my calves end up hurting for like a week after, what do I do /fit/?
>>
How do I into form? I ran to my mailbox at the end of the street (like 500 feet from my house) a few weeks ago, and my shins ended up hurting for like three days after (I'm not even a fatass).
>>
Do heavy bag work instead, Running a meme unless you're doing some intense shit.
>>
Realistic expectations:

Run every day.

First you'll run a mile. This will piss you off because you will feel like you did not even start sweating. Just keep going. Running twice a day can speed up the process a little bit.

Then you will run two miles and build up from there.

Your calves will start to stop being assholes and you can run without feeling different.

I find it usefull to do the same thing every day. So for example run two hours after dinner (let the food settle a little bit).

You will learn to run when tired, hungry etc.
If you smoke bring water. Do not completely fill up on water before a run because you'll be a sloughing water barrel. Find the middle ground. Piss before you leave. Try to look cool when running in an urban area. Music helps.

Gear: shoes. You have the rest. About 100-150 for fancy running shous: mizuno, brooks, saucony. Nike is not considered cool.

Running motivates you to eat less. Give a couple of days. You will not too much after you went on three fucking runs the last three days.

That learn to run for an hour schedule is really good. Starts easy with 4x 2 min run plus 2 min walk. Seems easy untill you discover how far you can actually run in 4 minutes.

Best time time to run is spring and fall. Insects, Rain and wind are annoying.

Good luck and enjoy. You will actually start to look forward to doing this.

In general: bepatient, be consistant.
>>
As a runner the biggest advice I can give to someone starting out is take it SLOW. Even if you feel you can do more, dont add more than like a half mile a month onto your distance or you will btfo your knees/ankles.
>>
Oh yes. Slow. And: Do not fucking run on the hottest part of the day in summer. And do not wear too many clothes. I mean, hide the rolls if you must but you do not need a fucking jacket.
>>
>>36538949
cardio ruins gains brah
>>
>>36540152

This is actually true. Running really is the worst if you're trying to make gains. You can't do cardio and build muscle at the same time.
>>
File: 1435743525669.jpg (327 KB, 1920x1536) Image search: [Google]
1435743525669.jpg
327 KB, 1920x1536
Isn't running/jogging completely BTFO by swimming?

As far as I know it's the King of Cardio.
>>
File: 1423147487924.jpg (89 KB, 651x720) Image search: [Google]
1423147487924.jpg
89 KB, 651x720
I did C25K and then B210K

After I finished B210K, I throttled down to only 30 minutes a day on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday.

Running 30 minutes non stop is a cake walk at a 10:00 minute pace, and you reap all the benefits (burning fat, cardio health, stamina, etc.)
>>
>>36540429
>at a 10:00 minute pace
what do you mean by this?
>>
>>36539087
>>36539062

This is the way to go. Eventually you should not need to use the special underwear and can finally reveal your final form by running in the nude.
>>
>>36539204
>>36540459

Meant this one
>>
>did c25k a year ago
>try bridge to 10k
>can't even do the first run
>haven't run since
long runs tire me out or makes me bored or something
>>
File: 1238568234.jpg (693 KB, 1308x1634) Image search: [Google]
1238568234.jpg
693 KB, 1308x1634
>>36540434

It means that my regular running pace takes 10 minutes, give or take, to run a mile
>>
>>36540434
I think he means 10 minutes per mile. As in slow jog / brisk walk (depending on whether you have long legs)
>>
>>36538949
Running shoes
pants of some kind
tshirt
also the zombie run 5k app is good to get you going it starts real easy and then gets harder as you get better perfect for beginners(or google couch to 5k)

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.sixtostart.zombies5k&hl=de
>>
Ex cross country runner here, the biggest problem I see weight lifters have switching to running is shin splints. These are an absolute bitch to contend with. Essentially, if you run too hard, too long when you start, the calve muscles pull your nerves across the fronts of your shins, causing pain, and eventually stress fractures. Because lifters often have stronger calves, they are more susceptible to shin splintsThe way to avoid these is simple. Start slow and small, then increase your mileage by 5 percent every 2 weeks. If you ever do encounter shin splints, stop running immediately. The only remedy is to wait 1-3 months, and the longer you run with them, the worse you get, until a stress fracture occurs.
>>
>>36540382
Sure, if you have a place to swim.
>>
>>36540669
Nobody walks 6 mph
>>
>>36538980
Well, that's how I got into it. But as in hindsight it would have been a good idea to set some goals and to set up a program or to follow one.

I'd suggest trying to go for low intensity and short distances at first. Then slowly start upping the intensity by increasing running time and lowering recovery time, or by increasing speed.

When you start running larger distances at higher intensity, make sure to sleep well and to eat well (I didn't at first, which basicly made me turn Auschwitz mode).

As for the minimal gear:
>PROPER RUNNING SHOES
These are extremely important, they are the core of running. Depending on where you're running, get trail shoes or regular running shoes. Gell heels are quite nice to have, as they take most of the blow which allows you to run longer and prevent shin splints.
>Clothes
Just a regular t-shirt, tank top, who cares.

>extra
Perhaps one of those phone holders for around your arm could be nice. Music is a great way to keep you motivated.
>tech
If you're getting serious, perhaps you could get bluetooth earbuds. These are also great for lifting. No cables, no hassle. Make sure to charge them though, it sucks to have your earbuds die in the middle of a good run.
Use applications such as runtastic to keep track of your runs, so you can see your progress.
>motivation
Set some goals, it's satisfying to break your PRs.
Change your routes from time to time. Go somewhere you've never gone in your area, go to the woods, etc. .
Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.