[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What does /fit/ think of the Smith machine?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 4
File: smith.jpg (21 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
smith.jpg
21 KB, 400x400
What does /fit/ think of the Smith machine?
>>
worthless. should be banned or only used by the elderly.
>>
File: 41d.jpg (47 KB, 490x600) Image search: [Google]
41d.jpg
47 KB, 490x600
>>36528174
It is neither a Smith nor a machine.
>>
>>36528174
I sometimes use it for calves.
>>
>>36528188
that's probably the only thing it's good for. also chins if your gym doesn't have a place for that, but that's rare.
>>
It can be good for noobs to build some strength. Like training wheels
>>
I hate it.

You miss a lot of stability and balance when lifting in the smithsonian.
>>
>>36528211
while simultaneously teaching them awful form.
>>
>>36528174
I never use it, but it's a lot less worse than people make it out to be.
>>
>>36528229
It's like using a fork to eat sushi when you should be using chopsticks.
>>
>>36528182

Voltaire said that, pleb
>>
>>36528174
First time I went to a gym I would use it cause I thought it would be easier/safer. I didn't like the movement and the one at my gym is even at an angle, so doing squats was a pain.

Then I looked up how shit they are and now I just use the power rack. Still see people use the smith all the time, though.
>>
>>36528174
I use it for overhead press if all the power racks are being used

by in large i'd say it's worthless
>>
It's a machine, and thus has the same inherent weaknesses of any machine versus its free weight equivalent. It just confuses noobs because it's usually kept in the free weight section of most gyms.
>>
>>36528174

I think "There is a Light That Never Goes Out" is overrated, but "I Know It's Over" is wonderful.
>>
>friend spends all summer trying to convince me that smithmachines "target more muscles" than free weights
Should I still talk to him? How do I unfriendly real people?
>>
>>36528174
I don't think about the Smith machine at all
>>
>>36529480

Just tell them "srsly, fgt, lrn2lift". They'll get it.
>>
>>36528174
The space it takes could be used for a powerrack
>>
i use it for standing calves, dunno the alternative to that
>>
>>36529596
Do them single legged, hold dumbell in one arm, use other arm to hold on to power rack or something.
>>
File: GoatFuckingASilverbackWhy.jpg (7 KB, 250x250) Image search: [Google]
GoatFuckingASilverbackWhy.jpg
7 KB, 250x250
>Calling the Australian Push Up Machine the Smith Machine
>>
>>36528177
Worthless, should be melted down into freeweights and squat racks.
>>
>>36529468

ur so fucking funny man hah smith classic
>>
Helped me gain enough confidence to switch to free weights after like a month. Really I shouldn't have been such a pussy
>>
I do chin-ups off of it.
>>
smith machine is good for shrugs and incline bench
>>
>>36529468
That joke isn't funny anymore.
>>
>>36528769
wow anon that was a baller analogy. good work
>>
>>36528188
I use it for shrugs and calves
>>
>>36528188
This. Smith calf work is awesome

>B-BUT YOU CAN DO FREE WEIGHT CALF RAISES

Fuck off, you can also just not work out with weights too
>>
Safest way to do ballistic bench press.
>>
The straight track forces my joints/ligaments into weird positions because nobody is perfectly symmetrical. I would never use it for squats or bench for the reason.
>>
File: ds.png (238 KB, 320x323) Image search: [Google]
ds.png
238 KB, 320x323
>>36532121
>ballistic bench press
Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.