[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Just watched this. Thought it was pretty informative. Can /fit/'s
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 4
File: 71iXxB9GqmL._SY445_.jpg (31 KB, 318x445) Image search: [Google]
71iXxB9GqmL._SY445_.jpg
31 KB, 318x445
Just watched this. Thought it was pretty informative. Can /fit/'s top broscientists tell me which parts were complete bullshit? Cliff notes if you don't want to spend an hour+ watching it:

>the BMI scale is bullshit
>ANIMAL FAT GOOD
>CARBS BAD
>cholesterol has no link to heart disease
>mcdonalds dindu nuffin

Also not-so-thinly-veiled health/fitness documentary thread. Post your favorites.
>>
>>36526103

>Can /fit/'s top broscientists tell me which parts were complete bullshit?

Nearly all of it.
>>
>>36526115
Care to elaborate?
>>
>>36526103
BMI is oversimplified. Treat it as a rule of thumb and not a religion and you won't run into problems
>ANIMAL FAT GOOD
In reasonable quantities? Sure. In lardass amounts? Lolno
>CARBS BAD
Daily reminder that keto largely just makes it easier for some people to abide by CICO and any claims beyond that range from very minor contributing factors to outright breaking the laws of fucking physics
>cholesterol has no link to heart disease
Most of the studies from the 70s or 80s or whenever the hell that was about dietary cholesterol aren't taken seriously anymore. Like high salt intake, assume it's not a problem until a doctor tells you otherwise.
>mcdonalds dindu nuffin
Define "dindu nuffin." They get unfairly singled out given that they're less calorically dense than Chipotle or a lot of non-chain restaurants. IIFYM it's no worse than eating any other hamburger
>>
>>36526195
>Define "dindu nuffin."

My personal experience, I think McDonalds is the best place to get fast food from if you're cutting. Of course you should avoid all fast food, but let's be honest: people have cravings that need satisfied every so often. Great selection of """"""""""""healthy""""""""""""" food, cheap as fuck, and because the government is always cracking down on them they have the most accurate and easy to find nutrition information. If I'm out with my friends and they want to get something to eat, I always recommend McDonalds because I can just get a couple McChickens with no mayo with some water and it'll fill me up without having to be the fag that gets a salad at McDonalds.
>>
>>36526115

The most blatant craziness is the big conspiracy theory about cholesterol and animal fats, and the absolute nobodies they got to appear on camera to say "oh yeah, it's all wrong"

What was supposed to convince us that a century worth of research into the most common and well studied fatal disease on the planet, was that his cholesterol went from horrible to slightly less horrible while he was eating a fatty diet (and losing weight, and taking daily walks). Weird thing to use as evidence that saturated fats aren't bad, since he's also denying that cholesterol in the blood has any involvement in heart disease anyway.

>>36526195

>Most of the studies from the 70s or 80s or whenever the hell that was about dietary cholesterol aren't taken seriously anymore. Like high salt intake, assume it's not a problem until a doctor tells you otherwise.

Both of these are also bullshit
>>
>>36526257

Meant to reply to >>36526175
>>
>people still believing the Lipid Hypothesis
>>
>>36526257

[that a century worth of research was wrong]
>>
>>36526263
>Expecting anyone on fit to know anything about anything
If you're here to do anything but meme and shitpost I don't understand what's wrong with you
>>
>>36526279
the entire TLDR of the film was to bring the LH to light as faulty, or at least create substantial doubt to the assumed validity of "fat makes you fat". In the movie this was all based on (SuperSize Me), the entirety of the film revolved around "OMG, HI FAT DIET BRO!" when in reality, it was a moderate fat, high carb, HYPERCALORIC diet (major difference here)

but yes, i have two degrees in the field and am finishing a PhD on this material. So, yes
>shitposting
>>
>>36526279
just dropping the term lipid hypothesis alone elevates the entirety of this thread. that alone is the piece of gold here. just search for that term and Harvard School of Public Health to see their seminal white paper on the topic
/thread
/any question on mechanistic factors of 'hurr durr heart disease n fats'

what have you participated?
>>
File: Conspiracy.png (73 KB, 490x812) Image search: [Google]
Conspiracy.png
73 KB, 490x812
>>36526294

>the entire TLDR of the film was to bring the LH to light as faulty,

And all it did was present a conspiracy theory and film random quacks agreeing with it.
>>
I don't know a god damn thing about all the so-called science involved in the film. I just really, really like it because the filmmaker's primary point is that you cannot blame a corporation for making you fat.

>"Would you like fries with that?"
>"No thank you."
>looks at camera
>"See how easy that was?"
>>
>>36526313
n the face of this uncertainty, skeptics and apostates have come along repeatedly, only to see their work almost religiously ignored as the mainstream medical community sought consensus on the evils of dietary fat. For 20 years, for instance, the Harvard School of Public Health has run the Nurses' Health Study and its two sequelae--the Health Professionals Follow-Up Study and the Nurses' Health Study II--accumulating over a decade of data on the diet and health of almost 300,000 Americans. The results suggest that total fat consumed has no relation to heart disease risk; that monounsaturated fats like olive oil lower risk; and that saturated fats are little worse, if at all, than the pasta and other carbohydrates that the Food Guide Pyramid suggests be eaten copiously. (The studies also suggest that trans fatty acids are unhealthful. These are the fats in margarine, for instance, and are what many Americans started eating when they were told that the saturated fats in butter might kill them.) Harvard epidemiologist Walter Willett, spokesperson for the Nurses' Health Study, points out that NIH has spent over $100 million on the three studies and yet not one government agency has changed its primary guidelines to fit these particular data. "Scandalous," says Willett. "They say, 'You really need a high level of proof to change the recommendations,' which is ironic, because they never had a high level of proof to set them."
>>
>>36526313
Why are anti-conspiracy fags SO anti-conspiracy?

Is it that hard to believe that the government has some corruption and does things that go against the public's interests behind closed doors?

I've never met someone who denies a conspiracy theory that is willing to admit that there's a single conspiracy theory that may be true. It's either full on nutters or retards with complete faith in the US government.

The conspiracy theory in the doc wasn't even that far fetched. The US passed laws and regulations to, despite being misleading in their reasoning, directly help US agriculture while knowing that it may harm public health. Maybe it's not true, but I don't see why that's so far fetched and "LE TINFOIL XD"
>>
>>36526334

You're quoting Gary Taubes here which is already a bad sign, but even this quote is arguing something very different than what I think you think you're arguing. The lipid hypothesis has nothing to do with fats, just the connection between blood cholesterol and atherosclerosis. The diet-heart hypothesis is the idea that eating saturated fat and cholesterol can raise the amount of cholesterol in your blood. They're separate things.

>>36526342

It's not even just "the government," it's the globally recognized science of cardiology as a whole that this film attacks.

>The US passed laws and regulations to, despite being misleading in their reasoning, directly help US agriculture while knowing that it may harm public health

Refresh my memory, what exactly did the government do?
>>
>>36526195

inb4 chipotle is owned by mcdonalds
>>
>>36526353
>Refresh my memory, what exactly did the government do?

Depends on your stance on bread. Many dietitians attribute the rise in diabetes to the huge increase in the amount of grains, wheat, bread, etc. that we've been eating over the past few decades, many of which increase your blood sugar to levels similar to sugar and soda.

Guess what's on the bottom of the US government approved food pyramid? Guess what makes up almost a third of what the average american eats? Guess what food has been heralded as the ultimate health food by the government for the past few decades?

Personally I love bread, but then again I'm not a fat fuck with a blood sugar problem. I don't exactly believe in the conspiracy either, considering the US government would save a lot of money if Americans were, on average, a healthy weight.
>>
File: dietary goals.png (55 KB, 607x729) Image search: [Google]
dietary goals.png
55 KB, 607x729
>>36526391

>Depends on your stance on bread. Many dietitians attribute the rise in diabetes to the huge increase in the amount of grains, wheat, bread, etc. that we've been eating over the past few decades, many of which increase your blood sugar to levels similar to sugar and soda.

Whole grains are universally considered healthy, especially for preventing diabetes (and heart disease). It's whole grains that people are recommended to eat, not McDonalds buns. The anti-grain conspiracists know the target audience of films like this aren't familiar with unrefined grains and speak vaguely to give the impression that all grains and grain products are wonderbread and that's the the government wants you to eat.
>>
>>36526353
Something to do with playing up cereals and corn production.
American farming had a huge corn surplus and the government helped them to sell it to the public by cherry picking research that cereals were good for you
>>
>>36526414

>cherry picking research that cereals were good for you

Is there even a single study in existence that suggests whole grains aren't healthy?
>>
>>36526391
>the us government would save money
The american government doesnt save money. Its the taxpayers money why woukd they save it
>>
>>36526423
I never said whole grains.
Hfcs isnt a whole grainp
>>
>>36526434

Was high-fructose corn syrup ever recommended as a healthy food? They've always told people to cut back on sugar
>>
>>36526103
Yes, it is if you don't understand what it is. If on the other hand you what it's supposed to do, then you'd see that it's shortcomings are part of how it's constructed.
>>
>>36526439
Bmi works for normies.
If youre natty and lift, you become "overweight", thats it
No one should be obese or worse
>>
http://cosmosdocumentaries3.blogspot.ca/2013/07/forks-over-knives-documentary-film.html

Since you asked for documentaries, this is Forks Over Knives. Basically a movie about how a whole foods plant based diet is really good for your body.
>>
>>36526407
>decrease consumption of meat
>increase consumption of meat

pick one US government faggots.
and saying the meat of fish and birds isn't meat is extremely idiotic. sure it might be healthier but what difference does it make when most of the affordable stuff is full of stress hormones because of their miserable lives and pumped with growth hormones and the sorts.
>>
>>36526603
i've tried the vegan diet for 1 month, gotta say i didn't lose any gains or strength.
unfortunately i live in the netherlands where it's fucking cold so we don't have those delicious tropical fruits available for cheap and i'm an ectomorph so bulking in the winter is kinda hard on a vegan diet...
>>
>>36526715
I'm sorry, man. Fruits are my staple. I eat them for breakfast and lunch and then have some form of cooked carbs for dinner like pasta, rice, potatoes, etc.
>>
>>36526195
McDonald's owns Chipotle...
>>
>>36526115
>>36526257
>>36526313
>>36526353
>>36526407
Go away, pharma and grain industry shill. We don't want your drugs.
>>
File: carbsaregood.jpg (23 KB, 615x409) Image search: [Google]
carbsaregood.jpg
23 KB, 615x409
>>36526103
I actually liked this documentary, not because it presented a lot of science science, it didn't exactly, or anything but it did make me want to first start researching lower carb diets as I was a struggling land whale..

It lead me to hundreds of studies, take a look: https://www.google.com/#q=site:*.nih.gov+ketogenic+study

For me it was the holy grail as keto has lead me to being able to take control. I started losing weight and never felt better in my life. I know it may not be the way for others, but there is truth to it.

You guys may like this study, Potential Therapeutic Use of the Ketogenic Diet in Autism Spectrum Disorders

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4074854/
>>
>>36526195
muh conservation of energy
even though i don't disagree, conservation of energy only applies to closed systems, which the human metabolism is not
>>
>>36529222
Let's also keep in mind that our body is not a system as simple as a bank account. There's a long metabolic way that food has to go before turning into usable energy.
>>
Even when I was a fatty eating fast food 2x a day, I couldn't handle McDonalds.
Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.