[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Are assisted pull-ups effective? Mehdi thinks not >The Assisted
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3
File: fb37a0f02815fd5b_assistedpullup.jpg (281 KB, 550x550) Image search: [Google]
fb37a0f02815fd5b_assistedpullup.jpg
281 KB, 550x550
Are assisted pull-ups effective? Mehdi thinks not

>The Assisted Pullup Machine isn’t effective to get stronger at Pullups. It looks like a great idea, it looks the same, but it isn’t. The main problem is that you’re resting on a platform. You don’t have to balance yourself. Less muscles are working as a result – your abs and lower back do nothing. The muscles that do work like your back and arms don’t work as hard because you’re resting on a platform. You don’t get a full stretch. Don’t be surprised if you make zero progress on Pullups despite progressing on the Assisted Pullup Machine. If you do, it will take you longer than if you had done Pullups from day one. Because the fastest way to get stronger at Pullups is to do Pullups. You don’t get better at playing guitar by playing violin. You play guitar. Doesn’t matter if they’re both string instruments. It’s not the same. Specificity matters. Stay away from the Assisted Pullup Machine. If you can do at least one Pullup, grease the groove. Get a doorway pullup bar at home and do one pullup every time you pass the bar. If you can’t do a single rep, do negatives or use a resistance band. The resistance band will only help you at the bottom, not the top. And it will force you to balance yourself. This will get you stronger at Pullups faster than using machines.
>>
>>36517494

It is, do them slowly.
And do negatives.
>>
>>36517494

Mehdi is a retard. Don't listen to him.
>>
>>36517494
I don't think assisted pullups are too bad. But do them with a band. This would be closer to a real pullup. Also do just negatives if you can't do one.
>>
>>36517494
i disagree. i spent my whole life unable to do pullups due to being fat. i was 265lbs, and after high school i went down to 180lbs from a combination of diet and jogging 5x per week. even when i was 180lbs i still couldnt do a pull up.

i gave up running, put on a bunch more weight while lifting, and finally managed to do my first pull up at 220lbs. i was using the assisted pull up machine and making good progress on it, and finally gave a real one a try and did it. im sure that unassisted pull ups probably work more muscles, but i wouldnt say that they're useless.
>>
what about assisted dips?
>>
>>36517494
Get some bands and loop them over a bar, put your foot through the bottom loop and do pull-ups. See pic.
>>
Mehdis a fuckin retarded pretentious arab dont take any of his advice

>they arent 100% the same so theres 0 carry over
>somebody cant possibly do both negatives AND assisted pullups to train for their first pullup
>>
I did a combination of assisted pulls ups and lat pull down till I was at 70kg for 3 sets of 10 on the lat machine.

I was then able to do 5 sets of 5-6 pull ups from never being able to do a single pull up when i started.

I do not regret doing the assisted machine ever.
>>
The person in the picture is doing it wrong. Should have one foot on the ground and one foot on the bench. That way you're still using some of your lower body.

It's a good way to work up to negatives.
>>
>>36517634

Same here. When I took some time off of the gym and came back finding I couldn't get any sort of decent reps out on pullups I switched to the assisted again and just did high volume work , gradually decreasing the assistance and then was able to transition to proper pull-ups.

That said band assisted pullups are probably a better idea, I just wasn't aware of them at the time
>>
>>36517494
Why would you take any of his advice?
>>
This guy's a fucking retard. I started out only being able to do one pullup, so I started using the assisted machine so I could do 3x8. After lowering the assisted weight by four pounds each time, I managed weight body weight pullups for the first time in my life after a few months. This guy is a hack.
>>
>>36517494
Was so fucking true for me with chin ups, currently starting scoobys pullup program
>>
>>36517634
Bodyweight at that time? Cuz im nearing that lat pulldown weight and im far from a single pullup
>>
What about lat pulldowns or cable chin ups? I do these for convenience, I can already do plenty at body weight and weighted pullups are a pain
>>
I suck at Pullups and its hard to tell if youre progrrssing or not. Last session i had complete failure at my 6th rep, this morning session i pulled myself 3/4of an inch further, this is the kind of progress you see and it is unsatisfying and boring.
>>
I was unable to do even 1 pull up, after training them without assistance I got to 3 of which made me feel like I was about to pass out.
After using assistance, I've gradually managed to increase my numbers with each workout (at first put on less and less weight) and now I'm at 10 full pull ups.
It does help, and speeds up the improvement process. Just make sure to do them slowly and with full motion
>>
File: updown.gif (2 MB, 312x176) Image search: [Google]
updown.gif
2 MB, 312x176
>>36517494
Started with assisted. Slowly progressed. Today I do 10x3 on back day.
>>
>>36517494
the same dumbass says squats work your calves
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.