[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Are multivitamins and other such dietary supplements worth it?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 65
Thread images: 5
File: multivitamins[1].jpg (20 KB, 292x219) Image search: [Google]
multivitamins[1].jpg
20 KB, 292x219
Are multivitamins and other such dietary supplements worth it?
Do they have an actual effect or are they placebo, and a hoax?

I read a lot of articles recommending them, but where I live (in Europe) very few people take them, and its mostly kids being forced by their young soccer moms.
Yet from what I gather most americans, and especially health conscious ones (so the ones that would least need them) take them daily.

What is your stance on this, are multivitamins a cheap way to get what your body needs, or is it placebo that just fucks with your stomach and you them piss out.
>>
They're good as insurance, but you don't absorb all of em.
>>
>>36515657
They would be, if your pill actually contains what it says on the packaging.
Most wont, from what I read, or the way they are processed and stored would destroy whatever they should be containing.
>>
>>36515665
Maybe in some de-regulated country like the US. But here in the first world we have regulations to prevent shit like that
>>
in my experience only zinc and vitamin C do anything and I'd say the slight benefits are worth the 3$ a month. when I'm supplementing those I never get colds, have higher sex drive and sleep a bit better
>>
brehs why take fish oil when we can take algae oil? because those fish are getting the omega from the algae why not cut the middle fish?
>>
>>36515674
There are many ways to cheat your systems, lad.

Some herbal cold medicine can say it contains echinacea and you dont know if its extract from the roots, the flowers, the stems, and each exact type of echinacea plant, or in what concentration.

Clearly there is a particular part of the particular type of plant that in particular concentration would help, but you cant know if what you are taking is the real deal, or just placebo.

Ginkgo Biloba is a plant that is regularly getting that treatment, barely any of it being contained, and often powder extract from the wrong (cheaper) parts of the world (cheaper) plant in a too small (cheaper) concentration.
>>
File: burger and fries.jpg (224 KB, 1538x926) Image search: [Google]
burger and fries.jpg
224 KB, 1538x926
>>36515687
Breh why eat meat when you can eat grass, cutt of these cows from taking a share like just get your iron directly from the soil breh munch on that mud.
>>
>>36515698
by your logic we should become cannibals
or even better, eat our own shit
>>
>>36515756
why do you look for logic in a joke?
>>
>>36515844
for the same reason you look for meaning in your life
>>
File: giphy.gif (750 KB, 320x240) Image search: [Google]
giphy.gif
750 KB, 320x240
>>36515890
oh shit rekt son
>>
>>36515686
I've been taking Zinc for a while, and I didn't notice shit. Same for Vit. D.

Of all the supplements I tested, Vitamin A is the only one that did a thing, cleared up all my cystic acne in less than a week.
>>
Couple eggs a day, ~100g liver every two weeks, drink milk, OJ and coffee, and you get almost everything.
>>
>>36515978
>dont have gastric reflux and you are fine
You literally listed all the things I cant eat and drink.
>>
>>36515687
Fish oils cheaper and has more evidence backing than the algae alternative
>>
>>36515652
i sometimes take multivitamins when i can't follow my diet strictly. and omega 3 err day.
it's always better to get all of them by real food but sometimes you can't.
>>
>>36515674

> deregulated
> US

Pick one
>>
Vitamins are trace elements that you probably get enough of via healthy balanced diet. Hormones aren't found in food (kek *US cows* kek) Vitamin d is actually a hormone, and supplementing does in fact work.
>>
>>36517930
>Hormones aren't found in food

What about chicken breasts and female growth hormone? Or do you think your bitch tits are natural?
>>
I take 6 fish oil pills daily
Got a shit brand that has only 300mg of omega 3
>>
>>36515652
Mega dosing Vitamin D is the shit.

Fish oil is good, potassium is good. Multi is meh but cheap so go for it.

Everything else is a meme.
>>
what are some good supplements that aid a bulk
>>
>>36517944
Ha I live in Ireland, highest quality meat and dairy in the world kid
>>
Literally feel a difference in my joint on gish oil.
>>
>>36517979
If the chicken breasts you buy are reasonably priced, they are hormone filled.
>>
>>36518003
>literally feel the placebo effect in my joint

Yes, thats why its called placebo "effect", because it has a perceived effect.
>>
>>36518011
The difference between the free range eggs and chicken in supermarkets here is very little. No one wants to buy stuff that doesn't have the "guaranteed irish" badge on it. But as for fast food and takeaways yeah that stuff is using cheap chicken brought in usually from poland. Mcdonalds here advertise all burgers with 100% irish beef traceable back to the farmer. That traceability is a legal requirement here, and it's also a big part of why we're against the TTIP.
>>
>>36518024
>healthy fats are placebo
:^)
>>
>>36518144
they are
and 'healthy' is a meme word anyway
>>
>>36518167
>there's no difference between trans, saturated and unsaturated fats in regards to health
>>
>>36518144
>pufa
>healthy

When will you fishcucks learn
>>
File: say no to drugs.png (57 KB, 371x443) Image search: [Google]
say no to drugs.png
57 KB, 371x443
Looked for some ~facts~ and found good old NHS Choices.

If you don't go outside or are particularly well endowed with melanin then taking vitamin D might be worthwhile. Apart from that eating a decent diet will get you everything you need.

http://www.nhs.uk/news/2011/05may/documents/BtH_supplements.pdf

Also there's a section on supplements. I wonder where one gets cheap supplements that secretly have steroids in them?
>>
i buy cheap multi-vitamins, but i also drink green smoothies every morning. i swear by fish oil though. don't use any other pills besides the occasional fiber one.
>>
>>36518247
no one implied that
but you're implying that adding some "good" fats in a diet makes a noticeable difference for an average person. which makes you an absolute idiot and a walking meme
>>
>>36515923
Different people need different sups depending on diet and genetics
>>
Recovering skelly here. I am up 3 pounds this week. Aside from whey and creatine, I take a psyllium cap before each meal (and protein shakes; prevents protein shits), fish oil first thing in the morning and a multivitamin with dinner.

Before all that, I was only making 1-1.5 pound gains per week. Now it's 2-3 pounds with no other change to my diet and, I swear, the fish oil has really helped cut abdominal fat.
>>
Most supplements I've taken either had no discernible effect, or the positive effects were minor and could have been down to a better nights sleep.

I started taking a pro biotic before bed 3 months ago though, and it's genuinely improved my health. I wake up feeling a lot better and well rested, i have more energy, don't get bloated or fatigued after meals, my mood is more stable and most importantly my feces gains are through the roof.
>>
>>36518506
I wish my supplements contained illegal anabolic steroids. I have to buy them separate like a chump.

>>36515652
When I was a kid, I was malnourished, and my doctor prescribed multivitamins to make up for deficiencies I had while recovering.
I got into the habit of taking them, and they are fairly cheap, so I still take them.
The goal should always be to get as much of your nutrition from diet as possible, and supplement only when necessary, but when it comes to vitamins, I'd rather be a little over, than worrying about calculating stuff.
>>
When fish oil is mentioned in this thread, are people talking about the type that contains Omega 3, or "cod liver oil" stuff?
>>
I take vitamins mostly out of habit. The only thing I've ever really noticed is that I seem to produce more semen when I take zinc. Everything else seems to be negligible.
>>
>Creatine
>Some absorbable form of magnesium
>Zinc
>Vitamin D
>Canned sardines with bones&skin 5x a week
>a dozen eggs per week
>1-2 pieces of fruit a day
>just fucking tonnes of vegetables
>sweet potato, oats, legumes, brown rice, quinoa
>nuts, avocado, olives
>>
I started taking vitamin D and got a bunch of acne, so it works to fuck up your skin, that's for sure.
>>
>>36518784

I just take 1000 mg Walgreen's fish oil. It's supposedly 300 mg of Omega-3 per cap.

It's $6 for 60 pills and a lot of the time it's Buy 1 Get 1 Free if you have a Walgreen's card and the unopened bottle will keep on the shelf at home.
>>
>>36518131

>he fell for a food related advertising meme

Are you a middle aged woman?
>>
>>36515652
vit D is good. alot of us have vitamin D problems because we spend all day inside, blacks especially get alot of calcium problems.
>>
>>36515890

spit out my water. well done, sir.
>>
>>36515687
Eat sardines.
>>
I've been taking ZMAs for awhile. Idk if it's helped a whole lot but my sleep has noticeably improved. Also you get crazy ass dreams
>>
I take:
B Complex
400mg Methylfolate
10,000 IU Vitamin D/day
800mg Magnesium/day
Zinc

Honestly the combo of high quality B Complex+Megadose Vitamin D makes me feel like I'm on Adderall. Magnesium prevents you from getting anxiety from the high dosage of Vitamin D.
>>
>>36519267
>back to plebbit
Faggot
>>
>>36519479
This. I've been having wet dreams (not cumming irl tho) most nights.

Had a dream I was in a tower hotel full of Thai prostitutes last night
>>
>>36519518
>Had a dream I was in a tower hotel full of Thai prostitutes last night

I had a dream last night that I had a black & white bunny as a pet and that it died in my arms.
>>
>>36519591
If it's any consolation to you, I left the hotel and entered a nuclear wasteland and was then killed by the Abyss
>>
>>36518564
>>36518564
>some
>noticeable
>average person

Are we average people anon, or are we above average? Do we need more fats in our diet than the average person or don't we?

Do you notice when your joints are healthy or do you only notice when your joints hurt?

>>
File: 1438914075152.png (278 KB, 900x849) Image search: [Google]
1438914075152.png
278 KB, 900x849
>>36515652
I take food-based ones.

They give me weird fucking dreams so I'm inclined to think they have some effect.
>>
>>36515652
I take a multi- and fish oil every morning.

From what I read the multi- doesn't do shit in the end, most of the vitamins decay by the time you take the pill, its not absorbed properly, aren't in the appropriate proportion etc. BUT I read somewhere that the type of person who takes takes a multi- every morning is usually the type of person with discipline to succeed so I though, if I take the vitamin I can remember to do other things. Total bro science, but it works for me.

I stopped taking the fish oil for a few months a while back, and my knee pain from an old injury came back. Took the fish oil again and it stopped. Still might be a placebo, but its a damn good one so I'll take it.

Try taking the vitamins you want for a month, then stopping for a month and see how you feel.
>>
>>36520221

I dunno. When I started taking a multi, my hair and fingernails started growing at almost twice the rate as before.
>>
>>36517855
He's right.
>>
>>36519480
i take adderall and i think you have no clue what you're talking about

btw i take jarrow b complex and 10k iu vit d as well

theres no anxiety

maybe you take ec stack?
>>
>>36518697
What is the name of the pro biotic?
>>
>>36517960
anadrol
>>
>>36517960
Testosterone Cypionate
>>
>>36515756
how do cannibals play into it?
>>
>>36520696

what? if anything, this country (USA) is way too regulated. what are you smoking?
Thread replies: 65
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.